Experiences with non-techies

11 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The actual size of the sensor. You can absolutely have a higher resolution, but the actual sensor size has to be larger in order to compensate.

Or the pixels become smaller :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

My brother: why does my computer take long to boot

Me: it has no ssd

My brother: why didn't you give me one with an ssd

Me: do you even know what an ssd is

My brother: It makes things faster

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 2017-8-20 at 11:21 AM, themctipers said:

facebook was preinstalled on mine and i couldn't disable it 

Preinstalled bloatware that you cant remove on phones is the worst sometimes.

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

Laptop: HP Stream 13: Intel Celeron N2840, 2GB DDR3, 32GB e-mmc, iGPU.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives

Just now, ATouchOfKiwi said:

Preinstalled bloatware that you cant remove on phones is the worst sometimes.

chants iOS

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

chants iOS

I have to use an iPhone 4S right now, due to my 5X being hit by the (infamous) bootloop. RIP Nexus 5X, December 2015 - August 2017

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives

Just now, ATouchOfKiwi said:

I have to use an iPhone 4S right now, due to my 5X being hit by the (infamous) bootloop. RIP Nexus 5X, December 2015 - August 2017

jailbreak the shit out of it and downgrade back to iOS 7.1.2 or 6.1.3, and enjoy your speed again (9.3.5 is jailbreakable) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

jailbreak the shit out of it and downgrade back to iOS 7.1.2 or 6.1.3, and enjoy your speed again (9.3.5 is jailbreakable) 

k i guess. will probably jailbreak it but keep it on 9.3.5 because i use apps that require ios 9

1 minute ago, ATouchOfKiwi said:

k i guess. will probably jailbreak it but keep it on 9.3.5 because i use apps that require ios 9

thats a bunch of bullshit usually and you can download a older version on the app store

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

unknown.png 

he deleted a message before, was asking what GPUs are those

Biostar-USB-Mining-card-2-1000x750.png picture .. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

snipper

Question: Is there really a point to having that many USB slots other than "because I can?" This is obviously a joke, but at the same time is there actually a reason to add even more than one of those cards to a PC?

EDIT: got rid of the image heavy quote (sorry :P)

Edited by MDPS

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

2 minutes ago, MDPS said:

Question: Is there really a point to having that many USB slots other than "because I can?" This is obviously a joke, but at the same time is there actually a reason to add even more than one of those cards to a PC?

EDIT: got rid of the image heavy quote (sorry :P)

my motherboard only has TWO working USB ports. I'd buy one of those USB pcie things but certainly not two

the reason why you'd want multiple is that you've decided to buy everything on Amazon that is USB powered and based 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

14 hours ago, themctipers said:

my motherboard only has TWO working USB ports. I'd buy one of those USB pcie things but certainly not two

the reason why you'd want multiple is that you've decided to buy everything on Amazon that is USB powered and based 

That seems about right :P

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

13 hours ago, MDPS said:

13 hours ago, themctipers said:

They're USB based mining rizer cards. Apparently some coins are mined with USB drives, but there are rizers that take a USB port and turn it into a x16 physical, x1 wired PCIe slot.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

They're USB based mining rizer cards. Apparently some coins are mined with USB drives, but there are rizers that take a USB port and turn it into a x16 physical, x1 wired PCIe slot.

would work fine for ETH mining seeing as thats not PCIe bandwith intense, just VRAM intense

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

would work fine for ETH mining seeing as thats not PCIe bandwith intense, just VRAM intense

Pretty sure that ETH was the exact purpose of the board when released.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

yes, it is.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah it was but someone put a bunch of pcie to USB adapters xD 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Yeah it was but someone put a bunch of pcie to USB adapters xD 

those either come with the board or are made by biostar IIRC

Builds:

Spoiler

i am an android lover, I like the stuff the average consumer would't buy. ZTE, ASUS, Huawei, etc. what pisses me off is when someone comes up to me and points at my axon 7 and asks if it's a "smasung"

These people.../

(Guy with the purple pic in the second one is me)

8777AC27-C7ED-4574-A1B0-B2DF04180055.jpeg

10857F25-96C7-426B-9F68-BDA070B22989.jpeg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'll let this screenshot speak for itself: 

30 fps on console is different from 30 fps on pc

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

I just had a client come in for a power button replacement on his PC. It's a Ryzen 3+1050Ti SC+8GB system, in an old Dell Dimension case (2004).

He comes in and says that he ordered the parts a week ago and then his 'friend' put it together.

I open it up.

THIS RETARD PUT THE FLOPPY POWER CONNECTOR ON THE CPU FAN HEADER AHAHAHAHA

Edit: I should clarify his 'friend' did this, not him. It had not been working since it was first assembled.

The guy says that he went to a few other places and they didn't even look at it.

He came in because the power button cable was too short. Found out his friend is a retard.

I cleaned up the cable management, rewired most of the components (CPU fan was installed -90 degrees so it blew hot air onto the GPU instead of out the back of the case), solved his problem, and only charged him $5 for the cable.

He left happy and informed.

Please don't have "friends" work on YOUR PC. Use YouTube.

1. Status Update

2. People can make mistakes

3. No need to be a dick

4. Arsenal

15 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

I just had a client come in for a power button replacement on his PC. It's a Ryzen 3+1050Ti SC+8GB system, in an old Dell Dimension case (2004).

He comes in and says that he ordered the parts a week ago and then his 'friend' put it together.

I open it up.

THIS RETARD PUT THE FLOPPY POWER CONNECTOR ON THE CPU FAN HEADER AHAHAHAHA

The guy says that he went to a few other places and they didn't even look at it.

He came in because the power button cable was too short. Found out his friend is a retard.

I cleaned up the cable management, rewired most of the components (CPU fan was installed -90 degrees so it blew hot air onto the GPU instead of out the back of the case), solved his problem, and only charged him $5 for the cable.

He left happy and informed.

Please don't have "friends" work on YOUR PC. Use YouTube.

Seen it on here before.. bit harsh to call them retards, plus it's not nice and all that though. But yes people take the "lego" similarity a bit too far... you still need knowledge and common sense.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini