Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Imagine if he put the EMR in front of his WiFi router or Microwave xD

Actually on that note, I have friends who's parents turn off the WiFi at night so they don't get cancer hahaha

xD so it's worth getting a little cancer to have internet access during the day?  Priorities people... :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I remember journalists spreading panic a few years back during the "Great North Korean Nuclear Crisis" (this was when NK was testing nukes and threatening to nuke US allies) and the Fukushima Incident just because they can't differentiate between microsieverts and millisieverts...

The readings where the measurements were taken barely rose above the 10 year norm...

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Our City has a Facebook group and one of the residents its totally against Smart Meters, WiFi and Cellular service. Posts shit about radiation all the time. I think its a load of shit. Cant be any more harmful than the Sun. Ask you mom is she uses a Microwave. Because I think WiFi and Phones give off less. 

Phones and wifi and stuff use radiowaves. Not microwaves :P

9 minutes ago, DigitalHermit said:

I remember journalists spreading panic a few years back during the "Great North Korean Nuclear Crisis" (this was when NK was testing nukes and threatening to nuke US allies) and the Fukushima Incident just because they can't differentiate between microsieverts and millisieverts...

The readings where the measurements were taken barely rose above the 10 year norm...

They are just trying to scare people it's stupid... My country (Belgium) has a serious energy problem... We have to buy electricity from France...

But because of our uninformed population that is always whining about nuclear energy we are closing our reactors and are not building new ones which makes it even worse....

It's impossible to power a country with wind and solar alone...

29 minutes ago, Principis said:

They are just trying to scare people it's stupid... My country (Belgium) has a serious energy problem... We have to buy electricity from France...

But because of our uninformed population that is always whining about nuclear energy we are closing our reactors and are not building new ones which makes it even worse....

It's impossible to power a country with wind and solar alone...

it is possible, but just not with the current technology :)

and we need thorium reactors asap :)

11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Our City has a Facebook group and one of the residents its totally against Smart Meters, WiFi and Cellular service. Posts shit about radiation all the time. I think its a load of shit. Cant be any more harmful than the Sun. Ask you mom is she uses a Microwave. Because I think WiFi and Phones give off less. 

Sound exactly like my dad except he would not know how to use facebook.

A few days ago I was doing a group project at uni (studding diploma of I.T. Networking) and we had to design a network for a company and I had to convince the 3 people in my group that there had to be a modem. They though that a modem was only needed if you didn't have a router. but at least I convinced them to google it and they realized that it was needed. These are people that are currently getting ready for the Cisco CCNA 3 Final exam.

7 hours ago, mikat said:

Only if we can make batterys that can store power for the whole country for a week... which would be stupid :P

45 minutes ago, Principis said:

Only if we can make batterys that can store power for the whole country for a week... which would be stupid :P

I guess you never heard of TES then ...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Microwaves (like the machine for your food) doesn't hurt people, but microwaves themselves (like the actual scientific wave type, like light, xray, etc.) would... just put something like a dog in the microwave and see what happens (do NOT actually do that it would be horrible and you would be a horrible person)

just don't do this

south-park-s14e03c04-microwaving-your-balls-16x9.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

12 minutes ago, Norseman4 said:

Damn it, how can I un-see that image? You are an evil person.

Welcome to the internet bro.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

okay im back again too lazy to read everything abck there but i will say that i found this gem. 

the title makes me cringe. "IT parts" lol

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

On 6/4/2016 at 8:24 AM, cummerou1 said:

They did a test on fighter pilots, showing them a jet on a screen for 1/220th of a second, they all saw that it was a jet, interesting thing though is that some were even able to tell who the manufactuerer was and what model it was. This suggests that they did not just see a blur that looked like a jet, but they saw enough to see accurate details and for long enough to spot recognizable features. However having so many fps to be viewed at the same time without natural motion blur will most likely cause headaches. So we might end up having to enable motion blur if we wanna game on a 200 hz monitor.

Got a link for the video i watched:

another good example to back up the fighter jet thing. set your camera if you have an slr to a shutter speed of 1/1000 i tried it myself and was able to perceive the shutter closing and opening just fine 

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

snip

What a jerk. Kids in Africa could've eaten those parts.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

12 minutes ago, MDPS said:

What a jerk. Kids in Africa could've eaten those parts.

I FINNALY CAUGHT UP...now to forget about the forum for 9 more weeks and check in then

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

okay im back again too lazy to read everything abck there but i will say that i found this gem. he title makes me cringe. "IT parts" lol

that shredder is absolute trash also. i mean, it keeps getting stuck on the most mundane things!

54 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

okay im back again too lazy to read everything abck there but i will say that i found this gem. 

I feel bad for the shredder. It is not powerful enough :( 

Today I will share my story that happened this morning in my computer programing class. I finished my final exam project early so I was just fooling around. I did a Google search for "fake bsod" and I found fakebsod.com. So I went to it and followed the prompts. Now with a BSOD that looks like it came from ancient version of Windows in full screen, another student, I'll call him Bob, walks over to my computer. I know that Bob knows nothing about computers, so I'm excited to see what he will do. He comes over and says, "I can help you with that." Then he tries clicking a bunch of times and pressing random keys on the keyboard. After that, while Bob is still standing there, my friend that sits next to me (he knows a little about computers) says that he will fix it. He then presses ALT + f4 and closes it. Bob is amazed and walks away.

BUT IT GETS BETTER!

After that, I exit the fullscreen mode on Chrome and leave the page up with the taskbar and top of chrome clearly visible. I'm just casually talking with my friend when the IT woman, who was fixing a printer or something, walks over and says, "What were you doing to cause this?" My friend and I say at the same time "It's fake, it's just a website." Then she said, "Well stop, you're gonna break the computer." When she walks away I tell my friend that I can't believe she was hired as an IT worker.

Sad part is that my school isn't as bad as some of the ones that I have read about here. Sure the monitors are squares and command prompt is blocked, but the computers aren't super slow, and we have the ability (not necessarily permission) to download anything (that isn't blocked). Me and my friend downloaded Minecraft and everyone in the class was calling us out, but some of them followed once they realized how easy it was. It runs at a stable 50 FPS on medium settings at 720p, not too bad.

One problem is that the school OVER-BLOCKS websites. What's funny is that I think I caused LTT to be blocked by visiting it so much. Some websites they block: Bing (This is the website I used to test my proxies), LTT forums, facebook, instagram, shmoop, enotes, photography forums,  and instructables. They used to block Twitter and Reddit but they have been whitelisted.

Hope you enjoyed my super long and random post.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

20 hours ago, DirtyDane said:

idiot just lost $2,000 by throwing away all that gold. :P

And my mom's monitor can do 900P.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

20 hours ago, DirtyDane said:

That pained me to watch, both because the parts being destroyed and that that shredder is weak af

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On August 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM, BurgerBum said:

i just remembered this!

back last time when my cousins where visiting, their dad, (my uncle/brother) looked at steam and asked what it was. 

whats that?

steam.

whats steam?

its sort of a launcher for you games library, also a community platform and a place to buy said games.

its a launcher?

yeah kinda.

so you're hacking your games? 

when did that come to be something commonly assumed? 

BTW he's a gamer. xbox and pc since the early 2000's. not hardcore, but he does do it. 

I apologize for quoting something over 7 months old, but I had to ask......

what in the world do you mean when you say "my cousins are visiting, their dad (my uncle/brother)"...... How is he your uncle and your brother?!?!?!?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 7:31 AM, mikat said:

im personally waiting for solar freakin thorium roadways.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

I do like me some thunder foot.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

17 minutes ago, mikat said:

When I saw the campaign, I was like: "Oh, this is pretty cool". Then I thought about it for few seconds and even without doing math or having advanced physics knowledge, I figured out that it is useless bullshit. Come on people, do you even think for a second before pulling out your wallet?

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus