xmp makes my system run really bad but i dont wan to be stuck on 2133MHz

the problem is that i dont know anything about ram overclocking and im not sure what to do about this do i need to learn how to oc ram or is there and easier way to do this. im using corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 2x8gb ddr4 3200mhz

If by "really bad" you mean that it makes the system unstable, then the easiest thing to try is simply turning down the frequency with XMP enabled. To do that is pretty simple - go into the BIOS, set XMP to on, and then manually set the frequency to something lower (like DDR4-2933) and see if that is stable.

This won't get you the full performance of DDR4-3200, obviously, but it will still be better than DDR4-2133.

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What are the rest of the system specs, and can you explain what you mean by "XMP makes my system run really bad?" 

i5 10600k rtx3070

Just now, opi3636 said:

i5 10600k rtx3070

What motherboard as well, and what did you mean by "XMP makes my system run really bad?" Is it unstable, is it giving worse performance, etc.?

7 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If by "really bad" you mean that it makes the system unstable, then the easiest thing to try is simply turning down the frequency with XMP enabled. To do that is pretty simple - go into the BIOS, set XMP to on, and then manually set the frequency to something lower (like DDR4-2933) and see if that is stable.

This won't get you the full performance of DDR4-3200, obviously, but it will still be better than DDR4-2133.

it was pretty stable. by really bad i mean in doom eternal i got 30-40 fps on nightmare graphics and with it off i get ~200fps on ultra nightmare

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

What motherboard as well, and what did you mean by "XMP makes my system run really bad?" Is it unstable, is it giving worse performance, etc.?

gigabyte z490m

1 minute ago, opi3636 said:

it was pretty stable. by really bad i mean in doom eternal i got 30-40 fps on nightmare graphics and with it off i get ~200fps on ultra nightmare

that sounds like a different problem, not XMP.

Just now, tkitch said:

that sounds like a different problem, not XMP.

the only thing i changed was xmp so i figured that was it

gigabyte z490m

Gigabyte made a lot of Z490M boards, which one in particular? 

2 minutes ago, opi3636 said:

My first thought would be that this is an XMP timing issue, since there are some kits that have an XMP so poorly written that it actually performs worse than with it off, though cutting the FPS by >80% is unlikely with this, it's usually only ~10% when it's a poorly written XMP. Odds are enabling XMP changes something else when enabled, and that something else kills CPU and/or GPU performance. Still check the timings you're running (there's ways of doing it through HWInfo, though generally I prefer using a tool like ASRock Timing Configurator or ASUS MemTweakIt instead), though it's going to be more important to check what the CPU/GPU clock speeds and usage is when gaming before and after enabling XMP. 

42 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Gigabyte made a lot of Z490M boards, which one in particular? 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490M-rev-10#kf

42 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

My first thought would be that this is an XMP timing issue, since there are some kits that have an XMP so poorly written that it actually performs worse than with it off, though cutting the FPS by >80% is unlikely with this, it's usually only ~10% when it's a poorly written XMP. Odds are enabling XMP changes something else when enabled, and that something else kills CPU and/or GPU performance. Still check the timings you're running (there's ways of doing it through HWInfo, though generally I prefer using a tool like ASRock Timing Configurator or ASUS MemTweakIt instead), though it's going to be more important to check what the CPU/GPU clock speeds and usage is when gaming before and after enabling XMP

i have attached 2 logs one with and without xmp if you want to look

20Min_DoomEternal.CSV noxmp_20minDoom.CSV

Some motherboards will boost voltages to the CPU when XMP is enabled. This is done to improve stability, but it will hurt thermals - usually only a few degrees, but if your cooling is borderline, that could trigger thermal throttling.

How is your cooling? What cooler and case do you have, and what temps is the CPU running?

11 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Some motherboards will boost voltages to the CPU when XMP is enabled. This is done to improve stability, but it will hurt thermals - usually only a few degrees, but if your cooling is borderline, that could trigger thermal throttling.

How is your cooling? What cooler and case do you have, and what temps is the CPU running?

my cooling is ok considering i live in a warm climate. my case is an antec nx230 and my cooler is a Noctua NH-U12S(last night i replaced the thermal paste and i cleaned my case this after noon), on idle my cpu is 35-40C, in doom eternal without xmp around 60C and with xmp at around 50C

my cooling is ok considering i live in a warm climate. my case is an antec nx230 and my cooler is a Noctua NH-U12S(last night i replaced the thermal paste and i cleaned my case this after noon), on idle my cpu is 35-40C, in doom eternal without xmp around 60C and with xmp at around 50C

It definitely shouldn't be running cooler with XMP enabled...

Have you tried updating your motherboard BIOS to the latest version? There could be a bug there that's doing something wonky with XMP.

57 minutes ago, opi3636 said:

in doom eternal without xmp around 60C and with xmp at around 50C

This makes sense in that your CPU is doing less work, resulting in fewer FPS. Use HWInfo and monitor the CPU and GPU usage and clock speeds for both XMP on and off to see what in the system is doing less work. 

15 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

It definitely shouldn't be running cooler with XMP enabled...

Have you tried updating your motherboard BIOS to the latest version? There could be a bug there that's doing something wonky with XMP.

a bios didn't change anything