AMD x86 16-core Zen APU detailed

ahhming

You don't see multi çore xeons with IGPU.

Actually, the Xeons ending in 2 (I think, 2 or 3) do have iGPUs

Why does AMD seem to think we want to build giant, overpriced, underperforming consoles?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why does AMD seem to think we want to build giant, overpriced, underperforming consoles?

Triky get the fuck out this isn't about consoles.

This is about their new APU for servers.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Why does it need to be an apu?

You don't see multi çore xeons with IGPU.

Do you need a apu it you want compute power?

I don't get it AMD.

Only for HSA so...

What? How does this relate to the thread? Lol

An APU is essentially a CPU for a console....That's what consoles use, APU's instead of a CPU with a dedicated graphics card.

An APU is essentially a CPU for a console....That's what consoles use, APU's instead of a CPU with a dedicated graphics card.

Triky did you really read the source or the OP ??? 

Did you form any thoughts on this APU ??? 

Do you think the PCIe lanes it provides is enough ??

What bout the 1TB RAM limit ?? 

What about HBM that's going to be used ?? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

16 cores, 34 threads? What? Am I missing something here?

AMD has not had SMT yet. Hyperthreading is intel's smt- 4 cores, 8 threads for example. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Triky did you really read the source or the OP ??? 

Did you form any thoughts on this APU ??? 

Do you think the PCIe lanes it provides is enough ??

What bout the 1TB RAM limit ?? 

What about HBM that's going to be used ?? 

Your i5 4690K has an iGPU, so according to your logic, you're also using a console CPU.

I know PC's are great and all and they are superior to consoles in most areas, but settle down with the console hate train man. This is a great thing for AMD and PC's in general...you should be glad.

If it works good, and costs less, great. But I had one of their APU's, and even with a dedicated graphics card it was sub-par, and ended up being a waste of money.

Until I see it actually deliver, I will remain skeptical.

@patrickjp93 I disagree a lot but whatever,and bitching at anyone wont solve anything because companies dont care,they do whatever they want,my comment was just a personal discontent about the business models.

Not sure i see a near future where cpu's take 1% of any die.Unless gpu can process everything that cpu's can more efficiently thats a pretty unrealistic statement.As ive said lets say you have a datacenter that needs many cores to process data,what would the gpu be good for?

And software doesnt use 4 cores or more? thats pretty silly,any modern server/software/game uses 4 or more cores,but until Mantle/DX12/Vulkan they wont be used effciently to their full potential for games but software does use them.Why would intel offer lga 2011 6-8 cores cpu's with no iGPU and Xeons with up to 16 cores no iGPU if only 4 can be used?

Im no professional,hobbyist at best ok ? but the few programs im using or used are definately using 4 or more cores,UE4,blender,Visual Studio all used my 4 cores to 100% when compiling/baking lights/rendering etc. or you expect silly apps to use 4 core like messenger?

Intel doesnt release,in my opinion, desktop i3/5/7 4/6/8 cores because they have no competition,and they are doing it on purpose so they dont dampen sales for the time when they will have any competition if ever,then they can add those cores they have been holding off.

And software developers are always at fault not adapting to what hardware can do.

My whole point is they are trying to forcefully sell us something that we dont use,both intel and amd,instead of making stronger CPU's which we do need.My igpu has been doing nothing for 2 years since i bought my i5.And if i had an amd APU with dedicated gpu same story-> useless.Software is using cpu cores more and more,while i cant honestly name a single app professional or not that uses anything related to HSA.So they see a future different than reality and try to sell products based on something that is not even being used.

Unless they make HSA computing a standard making everyone buy APU's just because a small percentage might use in the future doesnt make sense,they should make special products(APU) for that market only.

If it works good, and costs less, great. But I had one of their APU's, and even with a dedicated graphics card it was sub-par, and ended up being a waste of money.

Addendum: My IGPU on my 4690k, ran games better than AMD's A10 5700(nonK) FM2 APU, even with a gtx 660.

This is not for you. This is for compute farms and stuff like that.

Addendum: My IGPU on my 4690k, ran games better than AMD's A10 5700(nonK) FM2 APU, even with a gtx 660.

With a GTX 660... you need to compare without the GTX 660 if you want to be even slightly fair to the A10-5700.

Now we only need to know the price, this APU is looking very promising

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

im confused 16 cores and 32 threads? its an apu so some of the cores would be gpu but 32 threads? so it has more than 2 threads per cpu core so if its 12gpu and 4 cpu it has 8 threads per cpu core?

im confused 16 cores and 32 threads? its an apu so some of the cores would be gpu but 32 threads? so it has more than 2 threads per cpu core

What are you saying ?? 16*2= 32 and we don't know anything about the GPU yet

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

What are you saying ?? 16*2= 32 and we don't know anything about the GPU yet

they said its an apu so its going to have gpu cores 

edit: NVM they said 16 zen cores so gpu is not included in the core count

AMD has not had SMT yet. Hyperthreading is intel's smt- 4 cores, 8 threads for example. 

So it is threads = (cores*2) + 2 as far as AMD is concerned?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

they said its an apu so its going to have gpu cores 

Yes it will but as far as we know it has 16 x86 cores so 16 CPU cores.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

So it is threads = (cores*2) + 2 as far as AMD is concerned?

16*2 is 32

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

16 core APU?!!!

oh maybe its their marketing again

12 GPU cores and 4 CPU cores

No, it says up-to 16 x86 cores. And as it shows in the photo, it's separate from the gpu core. I really hope you are wrong, for the sake of humanity.

Much snip, many delete.

Unless they make HSA computing a standard making everyone buy APU's just because a small percentage might use in the future doesnt make sense,they should make special products(APU) for that market only.

HSA is a standard, including ARM, QUALCOMM, Samsung, Texas Instruments, etc., which means only Apple (on the phone market) and Intel + Nvidia (on the pc market) are not a part of it.

You need you read up on integer and floating point data, because your entire post, reeks of ignorance. @patrickjp93 is right on this point. A GPU will blow ANY CPU out of the water in Floating Point data, which more and more data centres, focuses on. With HSA, it is possible to do threads, that can shift from the GPU to CPU, back and forth, if needed. @Opcode knows a billion times more than me though.

So an APU with HSA, makes it possible to use the integrated GPU for floating point compute, meaning that it is not a waste, on the contrary. When double precision becomes important, you need even more GPU power.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

First of all, not everything revolves around gaming and this is great for servers. 

Then, you are comparing top i5 to AMD's old mid range APU and you should know that AMD CPU cores have lower IPC than Intel cores which is why you see the difference. In your case CPU cores are bottlenecking which has nothing to do with APU's. Zen core is a whole new architecture so we are expecting good IPC from AMD but that yet remains to be seen.     Also, Intel's advantage in great part comes from better floating point coprocessor and GPU's are a lot faster at calculating floats so by connecting CPU and GPU on the same die you can get much much better floating point calculation speeds which you could not get by going with a pure CPU die but that implementation needs developer support now.

People get used to things the way they are and when something new comes it starts a riot all of a sudden, everybody starts screaming how they want nothing more then a pure CPU when in reality it's an old inferior design that can now finally be replaced with a new and improved one. iGPU is not there just for casual gaming, it brings many other benefits.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

If AMD Can pull this off it will really give them an edge in the market.

Looks to be one beast APU. If power consumption isnt through the roof and the APU Cores are done right, AMD could slice right through the other server processors.

Also what you guys need to remember is THIS IS NOT A GAMING/EVERYDAY USE APU/CPU. IT IS A SERVER GRADE PART. Servers run very differently to gaming and everyday use consumer rigs.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

There are a few people in this thread that keep repeating "16 cores, 34 threads". I have no idea where you got that number, but it's not from the OP folks. The APU has 16 cores, 32 threads. The picture and source clearly state this.

I'm assuming someone just had a typo, and a few people ran with it without thinking.

Also, as mentioned like 40 times already, these are 16 CPU cores. The GPU is entirely above and beyond this. We have no idea how powerful the GPU section of the APU is.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Either Zen cores are very small or this will be a very big chip. The diagram clearly shows and labels 16 "Zen" cores. I'm more interested in the characteristics of the Zen core. If it has better per core performance than the AMD F15h M60h (aka bdver4) this would be a reasonable chip for servers. Provided the power draw isn't too high.

But, uh, Fudzilla has a less than good record with AMD leaks.