AMD x86 16-core Zen APU detailed

ahhming

No body said it's bleeding edge, bleeding edge is freaking expensive, take the i7 5960X and Titan X that's bleeding enough ??

Now do you seriously think console will have blessing edge ??

How is the 290 akin to 470 ??

How is the 290 below average performance ??

I see comparisons fail with you.

Consoles before this generation have always outperformed PCs for their monetary value. Why'd I buy a PS3 for $300? Because I'd have to spend a lot more to get a computer that performed similarly or better.

Next, I said that in five years a 290 will perform how a 470 performs now. Do you understand how idea works?

Ohhh this will be interesting. Can Zen do to Skylake what Nehalem did to Phenom? 
I seriously doubt it, but it'll be fun to see what amd can cook up.

Does this mean we will be seeing, combined with DX12/Mantel/Vulcan, really good dual graphics (if using a discrete card) solutions, for desktop?

I don't think you should run dual graphics with a processor like this if it's still going to be using a low end die on board because it severely limits your options on what you can pair it with. You'd be better off getting a much stronger single card instead.

Always trying to find reason.

I see comparisons fail with you.

Consoles before this generation have always outperformed PCs for their monetary value. Why'd I buy a PS3 for $300? Because I'd have to spend a lot more to get a computer that performed similarly or better.

Next, I said that in five years a 290 will perform how a 470 performs now. Do you understand how idea works?

Not always.

For how many years ??

Not really, ideas dafuq is that ?? But seriously yes I do but just because I didn't understand one doesn't mean I can't understand all of them.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Not always.

For how many years ??

Not really, ideas dafuq is that ?? But seriously yes I do but just because I didn't understand one doesn't mean I can't understand all of them.

Quite a few, it wasn't until maybe two or stretching it to even three years ago that PC gaming became competitive and offered a better values than consoles. Until then it was only for the people willing to put the money for it.

Between the hbm and the processor size, my dreams of an AMD mitx system seem to have died.

Although 16gb of hbm + ddr4 ifs a damn good memory subsystem.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Quite a few, it wasn't until maybe two or stretching it to even three years ago that PC gaming became competitive and offered a better values than consoles. Until then it was only for the people willing to put the money for it.

So that's about 7 years, and if consoles don't offer that much value you won't be satisfied.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

So that's about 7 years, and if consoles don't offer that much value you won't be satisfied.

?? You're missing the point.

?? You're missing the point.

Sorry but can you remind me ??

Sorry for being that ignorant.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Wow, what a beast!  :blink:

I imagine it will be a huge die to pack all that and 16GB of HBM, just wow. :|

Why so much hate towards APU's guys, they are so powerful if done right. Current AMD APU's have low IPC because of their x86 architecture but if Zen core manages to pull of what it's supposed to, it will be leagues ahead of everything you can get today, be it AMD or Intel. HSA implementation by developers would give it even more power so I hope it won't take too long but it will go much faster when Intel jumps on HSA bandwagon.

Sorry but can you remind me ??

Sorry for being that ignorant.

By the time a new console comes out, that company can put a more efficient and faster processor in it than this thing.

By the time a new console comes out, that company can put a more efficient and faster processor in it than this thing.

Gotcha.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I still dont understand why they think APU is the future when its not.The only place APU's make sense is entry lv PC,laptops/mobile/consoles,those usually relly on System on Chip.

But servers/workstations/dekstops always get more performance by separating gpu and cpu,you dont want a datacenter with useless GPU cores and you dont want a workstation with a lousy 1024 stream cores,you are going to get that pro rendering card or flagship gaming GPU.So for me it APU's for high end will never make sense,i always wished intel would make 6 core i5/i7 by adding 2 more cores and cache from all those wasted tranzistors on iGPU,its also bullshit marketing here,they sell i7 6-8 cores from 500$ and up when they actually would cost as much as i5-i7.And now amd is doing the same in server/high end CPU's its just fking annoying,id rather have extra cache or tranzistors/core than iGPU,unless the whole programming mentaility changes and software/games will use HSA/DX12 like its rumoured that you can use different GPU's of different series and vendor to process same task.

Thats one of my greatest wish for Computing both for work software and games(especially games) that software can offload calculations to extra gpus,imagine games doing the main rendering on my gtx 670 and use my gtx 460 for high quality AA or shadows and effects,like physx did,each task using memory only on the gpu it uses unlike SLI/Xfire.

If only software would catch up with what our hardware can do pfft,we could have 4K gaming in near future.

oooh yay! 

I'v been looking forward to this. I hope we get to see some interesting builds with it. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Why does it need to be an apu?

You don't see multi çore xeons with IGPU.

Do you need a apu it you want compute power?

I don't get it AMD.

You haven't been keeping up. Every Skylake SKU comes with iGPU all the way from Celeron to E7. In the server and HPC space compute density per nose is a major concern, hence why AMD pursued HSA in the first place to try and get one up on Intel to rests blush itself. Unfortunately for AMD, Intel isn't stupid.

Also, many industry analysts are predicting the end of dGPUs since iGPU is expected to rise to 90+% of the now "CPU" die, and only 1% will be CPU cores, while the rest is memory controllers and cache and necessary inter communication circuitry.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I doubt this generation of consoles, will be 8 years long. I would think a new gen would hit us in 2017 or so. But yeah, this is a CPU heavy APU, so it makes no sense in a console.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

16 core APU?!!!

oh maybe its their marketing again

12 GPU cores and 4 CPU cores

Clearly says "16 x86 cores" and they are all individually labeled in the diagram there, with the graphics sectioned separately.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

I still dont understand why they think APU is the future when its not.The only place APU's make sense is entry lv PC,laptops/mobile/consoles,those usually relly on System on Chip.

But servers/workstations/dekstops always get more performance by separating gpu and cpu,you dont want a datacenter with useless GPU cores and you dont want a workstation with a lousy 1024 stream cores,you are going to get that pro rendering card or flagship gaming GPU.So for me it APU's for high end will never make sense,i always wished intel would make 6 core i5/i7 by adding 2 more cores and cache from all those wasted tranzistors on iGPU,its also bullshit marketing here,they sell i7 6-8 cores from 500$ and up when they actually would cost as much as i5-i7.And now amd is doing the same in server/high end CPU's its just fking annoying,id rather have extra cache or tranzistors/core than iGPU,unless the whole programming mentaility changes and software/games will use HSA/DX12 like its rumoured that you can use different GPU's of different series and vendor to process same task.

Thats one of my greatest wish for Computing both for work software and games(especially games) that software can offload calculations to extra gpus,imagine games doing the main rendering on my gtx 670 and use my gtx 460 for high quality AA or shadows and effects,like physx did,each task using memory only on the gpu it uses unlike SLI/Xfire.

If only software would catch up with what our hardware can do pfft,we could have 4K gaming in near future.

Many industry experts separate from AMD and Intel wholeheartedly disagree with you. iGPU are expected to take up 90+% of the die on our "CPUs" in the future while only 1% will be CPU cores, and the rest is cache, memory controllers, PCIe controllers, inter communication circuitry, and HBM/HMC.

And be aware this is a chip going into the Heterogeneous computing space where performance/watt and performance/area are King. Why do you think Intel is putting iGPU on every Skylake SKU from E7 Xeons on down? Because the future in HPC is compute density, and for consumers both companies want to see Nvidia struggle. Naysaying about APUs in the long term is foolish and ignores a lot of reality, even if in the short term programmer adoption of heterogeneous acceleration is quite sluggish.

Also, Intel will put more x86 cores on the consumer side when there's software that uses it. If you're a professional, you're relegated to the E series or Xeon E5 where the chips have actually been designed for such a purpose. Unlike AMD, Intel doesn't jump the gun and hurt its own future sales. Software doesn't use 4 cores yet, so why offer hex-core chips on the consumer end when that will mean in the future those "old" chips will become more powerful and dampen sales? Quit bitching at chip designers and start raging at software devs.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Is there any words on how AMD will be handling their own version of Hyperthreading compared to Intel?

And they are also upping the chaches compared to Intel as well

Frankly I don't care if it is a apu or a pure cpu as long as it is a performance beast then I will be happy. So I hope zen is going to be amd's come back into the high performance cpu market.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

this is their chance.

Recover from bulldozer. 

Do or fucking die AMD don't disappoint me. ............

16 cores, 34 threads

SMT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMD's GOT A HYPER-THREADING COMPETITOR!

FUCK BULLDOZER I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS

16 cores, 34 threads? What? Am I missing something here?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

16 core APU?!!!

oh maybe its their marketing again

12 GPU cores and 4 CPU cores

it says 16 x86 cores, so those are all CPU cores.

amd its simple i want an FX chip with or with out graphics cores. that has 6-8 true compute cores that legitimately are competitive and stomp all over your previous line up. its not great when your 9xxx serries and ur 8xxx serries are the same with a better over clock. please amd i dont like intel but im forced to use them because i hate bottlenecking even more

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss