AMD x86 16-core Zen APU detailed

ahhming

What do you mean by corrected ??

sorry the better word was redeem themselves

the APU was to replace the FX

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

wait what? 16 core APU? at first i thought it was an opteron server processor, the ultimate comeback for amd on the server market, but nah...

This is a server chip. Just because its called an APU doesnt mean you will use it in your lowend rig... ;) Its a compute beast this thing

the problem is they could have corrected themselves when the A10-5800k was released

but NO!!!

they still churn out the A10-6800K which is only like 10% better only

and then the A10-7850K which is again 10% better only

when will they learn?...  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

And intel does what? They released Sandy, then Ivy was like 8% better, and haswell was 7% better than that, and now Broadwell is like 3% better... you cant expect them to double up performance using the same architecture.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

This is a server product, like a Xeon ;) Dont worry, they will make powerful consumer CPUs as well. But they will include a GPU. Which is not a problem. i mean intel has done it for the past 4 generations

Ah I didn't realise there were designed for server operation

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

APU = also gpu, that space could have been used for server stuff, most xeons nowadays dont include iGPU's either...

They have said something called HSA and when programs are coded probably it's amazing.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

APU = also gpu, that space could have been used for server stuff, most xeons nowadays dont include iGPU's either... 

Nope. Compute farms require GPU power. With HSA, they will prefer this to the dGPU that is used now. So this is a smart move. and im pretty sure the next line of Xeons (skylake) will feature Gen9 integrated.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

sorry the better word was redeem themselves

the APU was to replace the FX

And you expected them to have 20% or how much improvement between there APUs ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ah I didn't realise there were designed for server operation

I didn't know specifically either, but when reading through the list it screamed to me, I can multi multi multi task. 

Either way, the better they do with their top end stuff the more chance they have of producing superior lower end stuff for us gaming plebs.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 4-channel DDR4 supports ECC memory and speeds up to 3200 MHz
  • SODIMM, UDIMM, RDIMM, LRDIMM 2DIMMs/channel, with total capacity of 256GB per channel

1TB memory limit? omg

with this news and the Intel's skylake secretism this seems to me to be a new Pentium 4 -> Core2 transition

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

16 core APU?!!!

oh maybe its their marketing again

12 GPU cores and 4 CPU cores

it says on the slide 16 x86 cores so surely that is cpu cores on their own not including gpu cores

it says on the slide 16 x86 cores so surely that is cpu cores on their own not including gpu cores

^^^^

What are you all talking about? Like the guy I quoted said, that's 16 Zen cores + GPU stuff, look at the picture. Doesn't that mean that this processor is more like the FX series processors than their APUs? If so, that'd be a fkin beast!

Also, don't forget that the term "APU" doesn't really mean much. Technically a 4690k can be classed as an APU but isn't, an APU can be classed as a regular processor but it isn't because AMD.

I am excite.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

^^^^

What are you all talking about? Like the guy I quoted said, that's 16 Zen cores + GPU stuff, look at the picture. Doesn't that mean that this processor is more like the FX series processors than their APUs? If so, that'd be a fkin beast!

Also, don't forget that the term "APU" doesn't really mean much. Technically a 4690k can be classed as an APU but isn't, an APU can be classed as a regular processor but it isn't because AMD.

I am excite.

An APU combines the power of CPU + GPU sharing caches and shit for HSA. Intel CPUs are CPUs with a free GPU

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Didn't no one read 64 lanes of pci express 3? That's crazy.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

^^^^

I am excite.

FX series and Athlon 750 , 760 , 860 don't have GPU in them so they aren't called APUs

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I really hope this isn't to the detriment of single threaded performance, which AMD is already behind in. If not... I need it.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I was almost excited and sold,when i saw graphics and APU ... are you fucking kidding me? tell me this is the APU version and not the dedicated desktop CPU..

What the actual fuck...How is this a 16 core 32 threads if its 12 core gpu and 4 core cpu makes no fucking sense.

Someone clear this for me cause i dont understand is this actually the CPU we've been waiting for with up to 16 x86 physical cores with "hyperthreading" apart from graphics?

I was almost excited and sold,when i saw graphics and APU ... are you fucking kidding me? tell me this is the APU version and not the dedicated desktop CPU..

What the actual fuck...How is this a 16 core 32 threads if its 12 core gpu and 4 core cpu makes no fucking sense.

Someone clear this for me cause i dont understand is this actually the CPU we've been waiting for with up to 16 x86 physical cores with "hyperthreading" apart from graphics?

It isn't 12 core GPU and 4 core CPU, it's 16 core CPU with HT and it sounds amazing, and it's an APU with HBM memory.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

An APU combines the power of CPU + GPU sharing caches and shit for HSA. Intel CPUs are CPUs with a free GPU

No. AMDs 5 series APUs had no cache sharring, or HSA abilities, and the memory pool was separate, just like intels. And they were marketed as APUs. Intels Broadwell U parts are far more APU like by your definition than any pre-Kaveri APU from AMD, since they share teh Crystalwell L4 Cache.

16 Zen x86 cores with HT. plus Who knows how many (id wager 1024) GPU shaders with HBM

I wonder how well this'll do rendering videos on a consumer machine.

Everyone speculating whether it's 8 processing cores and 8 graphics cores, 12/4, and so on, please look at the picture original post. It shows a full sixteen cores separate from the graphics die.

Yes but you can say the exact same thing about Intel's CPUs too, there has been literally no difference. Except AMD puts more support in to the integrated graphics and Intel puts more work in to the core's performance.

Hopefully AMD has improved their IPC over Bulldozer and Piledriver. With proper support this chip could be an absolute monster.

Always trying to find reason.

16 Zen x86 cores with HT. plus Who knows how many (id wager 1024) GPU shaders with HBM

Then its good, rly good the only problem is the price now,i mean 16 cores and midrange gpu would cost way too much to manufacture on chip,unless they manufacture cpu and gpu cores separately on different wafers and fab process and then fuse togheter which could make it cheaper i think.

Hopefully these arent mini cores else it will suck on current unoptimized software.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

16 core APU?!!!

oh maybe its their marketing again

12 GPU cores and 4 CPU cores

The 16 core cpu will obviously be for servers.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Then its good, rly good the only problem is the price now,i mean 16 cores and midrange gpu would cost way too much to manufacture on chip,unless they manufacture cpu and gpu cores separately on different wafers and fab process and then fuse togheter which could make it cheaper i think.

Hopefully these arent mini cores else it will suck on current unoptimized software.

This is obviously the flagship Zen die, akin to a Xeon E7 part. There the sheer price of the SKU will offset the production cost many times more than in consumer CPUs. 

I would assume the consumer dies to be 8core plus 786 Shaders max. with a 4 channel DDR4 support. And then to improve yields differentiate on all factors, when trickling down to lower range parts

This is obviously the flagship Zen die, akin to a Xeon E7 part. There the sheer price of the SKU will offset the production cost many times more than in consumer CPUs. 

I would assume the consumer dies to be 8core plus 786 Shaders max. with a 4 channel DDR4 support. And then to improve yields differentiate on all factors, when trickling down to lower range parts

i dont mind buying the AMD Server CPU provided it cost half the price of the Xeon

all dem cores

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i dont mind buying the AMD Server CPU provided it cost half the price of the Xeon

all dem cores

I can assure you it wont be in a price bracket you would like. 4000$ for a chip, and then a few thousands for the accessories like motherboard and ECC ram :P

I can assure you it wont be in a price bracket you would like. 4000$ for a chip, and then a few thousands for the accessories like motherboard and ECC ram :P

if its for work only

its an investment  ;)

i can photoshop and video edit at light speed 

*insert Mr Gru laugh*

muwahaha