AMD x86 16-core Zen APU detailed

ahhming

Either Zen cores are very small or this will be a very big chip. The diagram clearly shows and labels 16 "Zen" cores. I'm more interested in the characteristics of the Zen core. If it has better per core performance than the bdver4 this would be a reasonable chip for servers. Provided the power draw isn't too high.

But, uh, Fudzilla has a less than good record with AMD leaks.

Oh this thing is going to be fucking massive. It's the top-level Server Chip. This isn't your $200 gaming chip.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

16 core APU?!!!

oh maybe its their marketing again

12 GPU cores and 4 CPU cores

I like how this post has 13 likes. Never knew there were so many blind illiterates.

Either Zen cores are very small or this will be a very big chip. The diagram clearly shows and labels 16 "Zen" cores. I'm more interested in the characteristics of the Zen core. If it has better per core performance than the AMD F15h M60h (aka bdver4) this would be a reasonable chip for servers. Provided the power draw isn't too high.

But, uh, Fudzilla has a less than good record with AMD leaks.

You can get CPUs with up to 18 Haswell cores too. That's the kind of thing this APU is going up against. So those Zen cores have every right to be proper, big cores.

You can get CPUs with up to 18 Haswell cores too. That's the kind of thing this APU is going up against. So those Zen cores have every right to be proper, big cores.

Those 18x core haswell, does not have integrated graphics.

Woa-HOLY SHIT

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Those 18x core haswell, does not have integrated graphics.

They will as of the next generation. Skylake is going iGPU for the entire line, top to bottom.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

They will as of the next generation. Skylake is going iGPU for the entire line, top to bottom.

Is it going to have that shared super duper fast L4 cache - don't know the name - that will be in broadwell ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Do we have any source on that?

However, it sounds reasonanble, as Intel is also introducing KNL as host processor.

Why does it need to be an apu?

You don't see multi çore xeons with IGPU.

Do you need a apu it you want compute power?

I don't get it AMD.

Parallel processing (or graphics processors) is our best way of achieveing high compute performance :) in tasks that are not serial anyway.

And even if there was no gpu cores the cpu cores would be weak anyway, as to fit 16 cores on a (likely bigger process than Intel) die would either need HUGE die sizes or less complex (weaker) cores.

16*2 is 32

Yup. Exactly. But in the post before the man said 16 cores, 34 threads. And I was like "Wtf??".

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

This is a server product, like a Xeon ;) Dont worry, they will make powerful consumer CPUs as well. But they will include a GPU. Which is not a problem. i mean intel has done it for the past 4 generations

Yeah...this thing is gonna be insanely expensive tho. Like, sell a kidney AND a lung expensive.

The question is, how cut down will the consumer version be?

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

wait what? 16 core APU? at first i thought it was an opteron server processor, the ultimate comeback for amd on the server market, but nah...

What if Intel made a consumer CPU with 16 cores? Would you make the same complaint? According to AMD's own definition, Intel makes APUs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yeah...this thing is gonna be insanely expensive tho. Like, sell a kidney AND a lung expensive.

I believe based on an older rumor from a few months ago--the consumer version will be intended to compete directly with Skylake / Skylake-E, so likely the highest end Zen consumer part will be like the 5960x, but with a gpu portion / HSA.  So much excite.

Just to be clear from what I've read from this thread; While GPUs are better for certain kinds of work, but CPUs are better at other kinds of work

As Linus mentioned in a TechQuickie, the target customers for these kinds of processors are less concerned with the initial cost of the processor (not to mention that those buying in bulk probably gets some sweet deals as well)

Why does AMD seem to think we want to build giant, overpriced, underperforming consoles?

Are you building a server that needs to compute huge amounts of floating point calculations? If not, you won't be buying this cpu. The people buying this cpu will not care about the price, heat or overclocking. They will not be playing bf or crysis 3. This CPU is designed for work, not play. It is designed for heavily multithreaded loads.

I don't see this chip costing less than 8000 dollars. Intel's current flagship Xeon E7 is about 7000 dollars per unit, but it doesn't have the 16GB of HBM system memory on die, neither does it have the iGPU or HSA compatibility. In fact, 8000 dollars is probably on the cheap side.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Are you building a server that needs to compute huge amounts of floating point calculations? If not, you won't be buying this cpu. The people buying this cpu will not care about the price, heat or overclocking. They will not be playing fucking or crysis 3. This CPU is designed for work, not play. It is designed for heavily multithreaded loads.

I don't see this chip costing less than 8000 dollars. Intel's current flagship Xeon E7 is about 7000 dollars per unit, but it doesn't have the 16GB of HBM system memory on die, neither does it have the iGPU or HSA compatibility. In fact, 8000 dollars is probably on the cheap side.

Fetzie is right about this. It is NOT a consumer CPU it is made purely and simply for servers. If AMD made its pricing in line with what Intel has on the market right now they could really put the hurt on and snap up a large amount of the market. We will just have to wait and see what Intel brings out with Skylake before we can really know what to expect in the markets. Would be nice if AMD could make enough money that their R&D Division would get a nice size boost and then make something even better and not just re-brand in the next cycle..

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Before we go all crazy about it let's just assume, for now, that it too will be designed with AMD's high density libraries. To keep power consumption and silicon chip real estate at bay. This does come at the cost of clock speed. Definitely this is a high end server chip, and nothing else.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

haven't seen ECC support on a "consumer" chipset =/ /s

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

haven't seen ECC support on a "consumer" chipset =/

This isn't a consumer APU it's a server APU.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

haven't seen ECC support on a "consumer" chipset =/

What part of "ECC support", "16 cores and 32 threads", "16GB on-die HBM RAM" and "1TB of system memory" (not to mention the rather sensible reaction of 'how big is this thing going to be?!') makes you think "this is a consumer grade cpu"?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

This isn't a consumer APU it's a server APU.

oops forgot the /s People are treating it like consumer is a cpu.

What part of "ECC support", "16 cores and 32 threads", "16GB on-die HBM RAM" and "1TB of system memory" (not to mention the rather sensible reaction of 'how big is this thing going to be?!') makes you think "this is a consumer grade cpu"?

^^

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Yeah im waiting on the leak of an 8 core 250X gpu chip or something like that, but nice to see them doing a big strong high end chip.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Is there any words on how AMD will be handling their own version of Hyperthreading compared to Intel?

And they are also upping the chaches compared to Intel as well

We have no news other than it's 2-way. It could very well be a direct license of Intel's tech with select tweaks, but it's unknown.

If you look at the cache numbers you'll see a huge difference compared to AMD's past, but they're not going to surpass Intel on cache sizes this time around it seems. To be fair cache latencies increase as the size grows, which is why Intel hasn't pushed their amount per core in some time and instead they focused with Micron on improving system memory (hence MCDRAM going on Knight's Landing to the tune of 16GB per socket and per card, and hence Hybrid Memory Cube being due to replace DDR4 and Jedec itself by 2020.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Is there any words on how AMD will be handling their own version of Hyperthreading compared to Intel?

And they are also upping the chaches compared to Intel as well

It will probably work in the same sense as Hyper-Threading (shared resources etc). Bulldozer was partially SMT capable so they already have a lot of the work done for them.

We have no news other than it's 2-way. It could very well be a direct license of Intel's tech with select tweaks, but it's unknown.

If you look at the cache numbers you'll see a huge difference compared to AMD's past, but they're not going to surpass Intel on cache sizes this time around it seems. To be fair cache latencies increase as the size grows, which is why Intel hasn't pushed their amount per core in some time and instead they focused with Micron on improving system memory (hence MCDRAM going on Knight's Landing to the tune of 16GB per socket and per card, and hence Hybrid Memory Cube being due to replace DDR4 and Jedec itself by 2020.

Just wanted to ask what advantages does HCM offer over HBM ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ