LGBT community

carguy86
2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What the fuck the Daily Telegraph?

Hmmm... Editor-in-Chief Chris Dore should start hiding as homos with condoms and pitch forks will protest at his house

59661cbcac5e3_giphy(18).gif.298d9e4bdda68d49f8cccb75e4ee3413.gif

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Noob Question:

Will there be a significant difference in performance between a dual core i5 and a dual core i7 when it comes to video editing and exporting? I know that i7's tend to clock higher but I always though video editing programs rely on multi-core performance. Is the performance difference noticeable since both have the same core count (assuming both have the same RAM)?

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Noob Question:

Will there be a significant difference in performance between a dual core i5 and a dual core i7 when it comes to video editing and exporting? I know that i7's tend to clock higher but I always though video editing programs rely on multi-core performance. Is the performance difference noticeable since both have the same core count (assuming both have the same RAM)?

Somewhat?  Honestly, for a LOT of what passes for 'Editing' these days, it's pretty approachable by a LOT of computers.  While tech nerds like to talk about high specs for 'content creation' and even here at work I'm sitting behind a Dual E5-2630 v3 workstations (And doing nothing because no one is around to assign me a new shot! :V ) you can still get a lot done even on just a laptop.  You just wind up waiting longer for renders.  In an office, longer render time is a lost of wasted money as it adds up but for home usage longer render time means a longer break to watch Adventure Time until the job is done. :)

Well, honestly, that's not the point.  Babies can be offended by that shit, but it's obviously not on purpose.

EDIT:I was replying to the people talking about the LGBTQTYES shit a bit earlier, still applies a little but to this though.

14 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

you can still get a lot done even on just a laptop

OH I've tried, it's painful af.  I need to preview some things at whatever 5% of 720p is.

21 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Noob Question:

The i7 will help a decent amount.

Also, what Graphics Card do you have?  And what software.  We need to know about bottlenecks and if the higher price is worth it.

18 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Their "apology" was even worse than the article; blaming the reader.

https://m.facebook.com/dailytelegraph/posts/10154571200866105

Wow, what a horrible excuse for an apology.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

OH I've tried, it's painful af.  I need to preview some things at whatever 5% of 720p is.

It also depends on what kind of footage you're dealing with.  A lot of video formats are not optimized for editing but instead for linear playback so randomly seeking specific frames is inefficent since it needs to go back to the last I frame first.  And this is also why some cameras that film in h.264 or similar formats have All I Frame options.  When capturing game footage, depending on the software being used, it may or may not be possible to capture it in a more edit friendly way.

And then you have other formats that while computationally easy, use up a lot of disc space and instead I/O is choking in a way that no CPU can fix.  (No joke, I worked on a shot with 3.6TB of assets for all of 10 seconds of movie.  We rigged up four 1TB EVO 850's in RAID0 to use as a cache drive. )

Using something like MJPEG as an intermediary would offer a lot of speed up.  And some programs have their own intermediary formats like DNxHD from AVID.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

It also depends on what kind of footage you're dealing with.  A lot of video formats are not optimized for editing but instead for linear playback so randomly seeking specific frames is inefficent since it needs to go back to the last I frame first.  And this is also why some cameras that film in h.264 or similar formats have All I Frame options.  When capturing game footage, depending on the software being used, it may or may not be possible to capture it in a more edit friendly way.

And then you have other formats that while computationally easy, use up a lot of disc space and instead I/O is choking in a way that no CPU can fix.  (No joke, I worked on a shot with 3.6TB of assets for all of 10 seconds of movie.  We rigged up four 1TB EVO 850's in RAID0 to use as a cache drive. )

Using something like MJPEG as an intermediary would offer a lot of speed up.  And some programs have their own intermediary formats like DNxHD from AVID.

Yes.  Well said, I was using AVI RAW lol.  Some video editors like FCPX can also change the videos to a format that's easier to play back for editing, then render with the original file.

5 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

The i7 will help a decent amount.

Also, what Graphics Card do you have?  And what software.  We need to know about bottlenecks and if the higher price is worth it.

I'm looking at laptop specs from different OEM websites and both the i5 and i7 models use an Intel Iris Pro Graphics. Both processors are dual core and have the same amount of RAM. I think the likes of Premiere and DaVinci Resolve requires more cores so I don't think a dual core i7 would blow a dual core i5 in performance.

22 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Their "apology" was even worse than the article; blaming the reader.

https://m.facebook.com/dailytelegraph/posts/10154571200866105

Their apology is indeed worse. They could have just said we're very sorry and we'll retract our previous statements and that would have been easier.

3 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

Yes.  Well said, I was using AVI RAW lol.  Some video editors like FCPX can also change the videos to a format that's easier to play back for editing, then render with the original file.

AVI RAW is kinda... Stupid.  That's effectively an uncompressed 8bpc bitmap for every frame and requires an epic amount of I/O.  If you're sticking with 8bpc work flows in Windows, there are some lossless solutions that run fast. HuffYUV is really, really fast to decode and lossless (Though it has a somewhat lossy setting, so don't use that unless you don't care about minor loss) or Logarith Lossless is a bit slower but gets more compression over HuffYUV and these codecs are available free.

I would personally never use RAW in an 8bpc workflow and use Lagarith myself.

That said in the professional world I have to use much crazier things like DPX and OpenEXR.  With up to 64bits per channel and the ability to cram in basically infinite channels.

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm looking at laptop specs from different OEM websites and both the i5 and i7 models use an Intel Iris Pro Graphics. Both processors are dual core and have the same amount of RAM. I think the likes of Premiere and DaVinci Resolve requires more cores so I don't think a dual core i7 would blow a dual core i5 in performance.

Unless you're willing to spend lots of money, go with the i5.  If you do spend more, definitely get a laptop with decrete graphics, for video editing this would be 10x better than getting the i7 over the i5 and is not particularly expensive.

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Honestly, get a different laptop.  You wont have a good time running pro software on average hardware.  Get a quad-core 15 and at least a 960M a 1050Ti or 1060 would be better but stick to the 960M if you care about battery life and wont be plugging in very often.

Video editing on dual cores with Iris Pro graphics wont be enjoyable or nice.

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

AVI RAW is kinda... Stupid.  That's effectively an uncompressed 8bpc bitmap for every frame and requires an epic amount of I/O.  If you're sticking with 8bpc work flows in Windows, there are some lossless solutions that run fast. HuffYUV is really, really fast to decode and lossless (Though it has a somewhat lossy setting, so don't use that unless you don't care about minor loss) or Logarith Lossless is a bit slower but gets more compression over HuffYUV and these codecs are available free.

Thank you.  Now I know!

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

AVI RAW is kinda... Stupid.

How about Motion JPEG?

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

How about Motion JPEG?

MJPEG is fast and small (Realtively speaking, it's obviously not H264 or HEVC small, but it's like a bazillion times faster) but being built on JPEG it's also lossy, though not really THAT lossy.  Every time you take a lossy format and compress it again to another lossy format, it degrades farther and farther.  Much like photocopying a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy.  That said, a LOT of formats are lossy and MJPEG is really not bad at all and could be a fine format for capturing game footage.  Obviously one should always get the highest quality they can manage but that doesn't mean that there's no room for reasonable trade offs.  MJPEG is certainly going to be better than any usage of H264 (With the exception of H264s little known lossless mode which few pieces of software even use)

12 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

960M a 1050Ti or 1060 would be better but stick to the 960M

Wouldn't a 1060m consume less power than a 960m because of architecture differences? Pascal uses a smaller 14/16 nm transistors that are supposed to consume less power than Maxwell which uses 29 nm transistors?

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What the fuck the Daily Telegraph?

IMG_20170712_224657.thumb.jpg.33f39997c31853972d50801c6b2358a4.jpg

Seems like boomers trying to give Gen Y'ers (Or Gen Z depending on how you define Gen Y's range and Gen Z's range) some shit.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Noob Question:

Honestly not really, that's why personally if I was going to get a 13" MacBook Pro I would not spend $200 or so on the i7 for that model because Apple uses the ULV dual core i7s which are basically just number bumps that almost have no real tangible benefits. I believe ULV i5s and i7s are both hyper-threaded and both usually use the same iGPU.

The 15" MacBook Pro, I would because it's hyper-threaded vs not hyper-threaded

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

it's much better to just get a normal laptop and run a gnu/linux distro that has unix

same thing but cheap af lol

No Adobe Premiere or FCP X on any Linux distro. Ain't happening.