LGBT community

carguy86
1 minute ago, Slick said:

Lame IMO that they'd go through your mail regardless.. snooping around in your room is not cool imo.

It is illegal to read someone's mail, it's more than just lame, and it is really unsettling that @JustMalachy's family would be snooping around their room.

1 minute ago, Slick said:

(why is it soo hard to remove quotes on mobile)

35 minutes ago, JustMalachy said:

Tbh it was my fault they found the letter. I left it open on my desk when i went out for a bit, still sucks tho :/

They shouldn't be looking on your desk, especially letters. The letters I get are not that private, but are still private; mostly just bank statements. That said, No one has the right to go into my room and look at those letters which are on my desk. No one!

Also no one has the right to browse my computers, my phone and my external HDD. And now they cannot. Gotta love encryption.

Parents gotta know whats going on with their children.

Some could be smoking weed, or shooting heroin.

14 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

They shouldn't be looking on your desk, especially letters. The letters I get are not that private, but are still private; mostly just bank statements.

I'm so glad both of my bank statements and phone bills are now paperless. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 minutes ago, yathis said:

Parents gotta know whats going on with their children.

Some could be smoking weed, or shooting heroin.

No, that is invasion of privacy, they cannot do that, just like how the goverment cannot do that.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I need to port out my number, my parents currently pay my prepaid, long-life phone bill, I don't use my phone as a phone much because of that, I only talk to people on messaging clients.

LOL @ You

Parents can do anything they want, and more then likely be in the right in the eyes of the judge.

Parents have lots of rights over their children.

Sure maybe not opening up letters, thats def a crime.

Children are minors, remember that.

Fuck you cant even drink until your 21, but you can drive a deadly weapon at 14 yrs old.

2 hours ago, JustMalachy said:

Tbh it was my fault they found the letter. I left it open on my desk when i went out for a bit, still sucks tho :/

Yeah.  I hope they aren't being too in your face about it.  

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It is illegal to read someone's mail, it's more than just lame, and it is really unsettling that @JustMalachy's family would be snooping around their room.

(why is it soo hard to remove quotes on mobile)

They shouldn't be looking on your desk, especially letters. The letters I get are not that private, but are still private; mostly just bank statements. That said, No one has the right to go into my room and look at those letters which are on my desk. No one!

Also no one has the right to browse my computers, my phone and my external HDD. And now they cannot. Gotta love encryption.

What are you using for encryption?    I keep meaning to look into using it myself. 

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Paperless is nice.  It's easier to forget about but more secure than mail and saves trees.  

No, that is invasion of privacy, they cannot do that, just like how the goverment cannot do that.

I need to port out my number, my parents currently pay my prepaid, long-life phone bill, I don't use my phone as a phone much because of that, I only talk to people on messaging clients.

Long life phone bill?  What does that mean?

Why does them paying for it affect how and what you use the phone for?

17 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Paperless is nice.  It's easier to forget about but more secure than mail and saves trees.

99% of the time, they deliver my bill straight to my inbox on time. I didn't enabled auto pay because I'm scared of giving them my credit card number but I pay using online banking since it's more secure because my wireless carrier won't see my credit card info. Also, paperless billing keeps the people I called safe from prying eyes. I don't know in US but here in PH, all phone numbers that I've called are listed in the bill. That's how my parents have kept tabs on me back in college.

59659cdf9172d_Screenshot(198).png.0a23eb0edfe9085658d7b2175e788be6.png

I'm thankful also to my wireless carrier of not including the list of URLs I've browsed in the phone bill. If you know what I mean. 

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

99% of the time, they deliver my bill straight to my inbox on time. I didn't enabled auto pay because I'm scared of giving them my credit card number but I pay using online banking since it's more secure because my wireless carrier won't see my credit card info. Also, paperless billing keeps the people I called safe from prying eyes. I don't know in US but here in PH, all phone numbers that I've called are listed in the bill. That's how my parents have kept tabs on me back in college.

59659cdf9172d_Screenshot(198).png.0a23eb0edfe9085658d7b2175e788be6.png

I'm thankful also to my wireless carrier of not including the list of URLs I've browsed in the phone bill. If you know what I mean. 

Yeah.  Cell phone bills here show numbers called too.  I wasn't a huge fan of that.  But I barely have any friends and almost never called them.  My parents aren't that interested in spying on me so even if they saw the numbers they mostly didn't care who they might be.  

Still happy to have my own phone plan so I have 100% privacy using it in case I'd need it.  

How is paying your phone bill using online banking safer than giving a credit card number?    Don't you have to give the phone provider your account routing number for them to collect a payment from?

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How is paying your phone bill using online banking safer than giving a credit card number?    Don't you have to give the phone provider your account routing number for them to collect a payment from?

I use the smartphone app to do that. All I need to do is tap "bills payment" on the app, select my wireless carrier's name, input both my phone and account number, type the amount and the bank does the rest. I'm not sure how my bank does it but I think what they're doing is tokenization. Once my bank deducts money from my savings account, it creates a public key for the carrier to read that this guy paid this amount for the given phone number but stripped away of my financial details. So even if there would be data breach on the carrier side, it would just be a bunch of public keys that are useless to the hacker. But I'm not sure if this is the setup agreement between my bank and my carrier.

That's similar as to how Apple and Google pay does with their NFC wireless payments.

16 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I use the smartphone app to do that. All I need to do is tap "bills payment" on the app, select my wireless carrier's name, input both my phone and account number, type the amount and the bank does the rest. I'm not sure how my bank does it but I think what they're doing is tokenization. Once my bank deducts money from my savings account, it creates a public key for the carrier to read that this guy paid this amount for the given phone number but stripped away of my financial details. So even if there would be data breach on the carrier side, it would just be a bunch of public keys that are useless to the hacker. But I'm not sure if this is the setup agreement between my bank and my carrier.

That's similar as to how Apple and Google pay does with their NFC wireless payments.

I see.  I don't think my credit union's app does that...  ?

6 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Although I'm a bit disappointed that my bank doesn't offer two factor authentication. Linus Media Group of all the websites have two factor authentication whereas my bank which handles way more sensitive data does not. I'm not paranoid about it but still, that security feature is a fair expectation something big as a commercial bank. I'm starting to thing that 2-factor authentication is expensive to implement. I'm not sure.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Both of my banks do have something like that, I've never used them. No interest to use it.

But it's a neat concept. 

I like the amount of branches and ATMs US Bank has in comparison to BMO Harris, but the service at BMO Harris does feel more personal and it makes me want to do more in person banking rather than the impersonal online/mobile banking and what have you. Don't get me wrong, I've had very friendly tellers at my local US Bank Branch. It's certainly interesting how banking has seemingly changed throughout the years. I imagine just 20 years ago (before my time) a branch like my local US Bank Branch would be more busy. Heck even 13-15 years ago, I feel like it would've been more busy.

I guess with online and mobile banking and direct deposits the role of banks and how busy they were has really changed. Don't get me wrong, I like being able to precisely know the amount of money I have in my account with minimal effort on keeping track of it. If I have any pending transactions that I know are more than what my account shows was charged, I just keep that in mind. Maybe write it down somewhere or just know that the value shown online is not my precise balance if I have transactions pending that are not showing the full transaction. Likewise with pre-authorizations or eChecks or Checks, I just keep in mind the total of that check or write it down and I can easily see when that check has hit my account. And I like all this and a debit card so I don't have to deal with change or write checks. But idk.

If I moved out of Minnesota or something. I'd probably keep both BMO Harris and US Bank. I'd be more likely to go to a state that has US Bank. Not out of preference but the fact that US Bank is more common.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Although I'm a bit disappointed that my bank doesn't offer two factor authentication. Linus Media Group of all the websites have two factor authentication whereas my bank which handles way more sensitive data does not. I'm not paranoid about it but still, that security feature is a fair expectation something big as a commercial bank. I'm starting to thing that 2-factor authentication is expensive to implement. I'm not sure.

Well if both US Bank and BMO Harris would let me use a finger print already programmed in my phone for log in that'd be nice. On one hand, US Bank. I have to type in my full log in info (Username and Password) and for BMO I can just type in a pin I set.

Just now, wcreek said:

Well if both US Bank and BMO Harris would let me use a finger print already programmed in my phone for log in that'd be nice. On one hand, US Bank. I have to type in my full log in info (Username and Password) and for BMO I can just type in a pin I set.

Different than the pin I use for the card though

Just now, wcreek said:

The good thing is that while my bank doesn't offer 2fa, it does offer authorizing payments and bank transfers using Touch ID or fingerprint scanners on Android.

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

The good thing is that while my bank doesn't offer 2fa, it does offer authorizing payments and bank transfers using Touch ID or fingerprint scanners on Android.

Neither of my banks do that as far as Im aware but the option would be nice.

I know the company my mom has a credit card through, when we went through Illinois and made our first purchase in Illinois with the card it wanted to verify that we made the purchase before any more transactions would be authorized.

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Long life phone bill?  What does that mean?

Why does them paying for it affect how and what you use the phone for?

The prepaid plan I have, the credit lasts for 168 days, instead of the usual 28 days for most phone plans.

Due to that, everything is stupidly expensive, therefore I cannot use my phone for much, otherwise my credit will run out.

$2 per MB for data, 30c text messages, 45 connection fee for calls plus 45c per minute...

I once opened Snapchat whilst on data, in 10 seconds, it sucked up $35 of credit

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

$2 per MB for data, 30c text messages, 45 connection fee for calls plus 45c per minute...

Man, that's expensive.

I love Joe and his videos xD

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I love Joe and his videos xD

I only watched a little of the last video but I have comments:

1. Says he doesn't have an abandoned warehouse yet standing in front of a brick wall.    Idk about anyone else but I think he's lying about his lack of a warehouse.  >_>

2. The f'd up shit he was showing makes me both laugh and violently ill.  ?

If his videos are all this funny then he's the gift.  Idk who the gift is for but he is the gift. ?

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

I feel I should be worried.  My credit union app doesn't have two factor either.  

Though it does have a second app just for my credit card through them.  (It might also work for my debit card but I'm not certain.)

This second app lets me quickly disable or turn back on my credit card.  So if need be I could prevent the use of my card if it was lost or stolen.  

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

Both of my banks do have something like that, I've never used them. No interest to use it.

But it's a neat concept. 

I like the amount of branches and ATMs US Bank has in comparison to BMO Harris, but the service at BMO Harris does feel more personal and it makes me want to do more in person banking rather than the impersonal online/mobile banking and what have you. Don't get me wrong, I've had very friendly tellers at my local US Bank Branch. It's certainly interesting how banking has seemingly changed throughout the years. I imagine just 20 years ago (before my time) a branch like my local US Bank Branch would be more busy. Heck even 13-15 years ago, I feel like it would've been more busy.

I guess with online and mobile banking and direct deposits the role of banks and how busy they were has really changed. Don't get me wrong, I like being able to precisely know the amount of money I have in my account with minimal effort on keeping track of it. If I have any pending transactions that I know are more than what my account shows was charged, I just keep that in mind. Maybe write it down somewhere or just know that the value shown online is not my precise balance if I have transactions pending that are not showing the full transaction. Likewise with pre-authorizations or eChecks or Checks, I just keep in mind the total of that check or write it down and I can easily see when that check has hit my account. And I like all this and a debit card so I don't have to deal with change or write checks. But idk.

If I moved out of Minnesota or something. I'd probably keep both BMO Harris and US Bank. I'd be more likely to go to a state that has US Bank. Not out of preference but the fact that US Bank is more common.

Online stuff certainly has changed the role of banks.  I almost never have to go to my credit union unless I'm depositing money or using the atm in the parking lot.  

I mostly do my banking there because my parents used it before I ever had an account and so I'd been there before.  Also there's a branch location less than 5 minutes from my home and the people there are always very friendly.  

Does US bank have branches in multiple states?  

The prepaid plan I have, the credit lasts for 168 days, instead of the usual 28 days for most phone plans.

Due to that, everything is stupidly expensive, therefore I cannot use my phone for much, otherwise my credit will run out.

I once opened Snapchat whilst on data, in 10 seconds, it sucked up $35 of credit

Yikes that's expensive.  Have you considered getting a normal prepaid that presumably would be cheaper?

Or looking into the possibility of getting non-prepaid cell phone service?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Yikes that's expensive.  Have you considered getting a normal prepaid that presumably would be cheaper?

Or looking into the possibility of getting non-prepaid cell phone service?

168 day lasting prepaid plans are usually expensive, or they use the Vodafone network, so it is very expensive for something you can never use.

I think I should look around for cheap plans, not just prepaid.

14 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Online stuff certainly has changed the role of banks.  I almost never have to go to my credit union unless I'm depositing money or using the atm in the parking lot.  

Pretty much the same. If I need cash, I can just do cash back at the grocery store or at work since I work at a grocery store and the nice thing about our store is we don't have a minimum but our maximum for Visa, MasterCard and Amex is $50. I guess Discover cards can only do $25 cash back. But most Discover and Amex cards are Credit Cards so there's really not a thing such as cash back like that. Though both do have their own form of checking and non-consumer credit card services. Discover is a little more traditional in their non credit related banking services. Since their offerings are standard checking accounts where Amex doesn't have any kind of service like that. They used to with Walmart, the Amex Bluebird thing but since the creation of their Serve program it's changed a little bit to become more like a prepaid debit card rather than a checking account alternative. Then again I guess its still considered an alternative to checking accounts.

I mostly do my banking there because my parents used it before I ever had an account and so I'd been there before.  Also there's a branch location less than 5 minutes from my home and the people there are always very friendly.  

Ah my mom already banked at US Bank so that's why I started off banking there. I wanted to open a second account at a different bank in hopes of sort of managing my cash flow. Having two accounts for two different purposes has helped me not overdraw my account since I've opened the second account (Okay I did have one occurrence with an overdraft but that was because I didn't realize I didn't need to pay something right away and I couldn't cancel the payment.) But aside from that one issue, I've been much better with my money. I've only had the account for almost 2 months, and well I've spent almost every last penny I've made in those two months. But as we get finances sorted out (my mom and I) I should be able to start accumulating money for more expensive things that I may want or do currently want. Which so far we've almost gotten that all sorted out so I am looking forward to my plan to kinda unfold. I believe having my pay go 60/40 is a decent balance between having enough money in one account for any bills that I have and a cushion for a "soft" savings and my weekly spending money goes into the other account. The 40%. If I did move out of state, I would likely flip the uses of the accounts. 
My US Bank account would become my spending account and my BMO account would become my bills and "soft" savings account. I would probably want to look into a high yield savings account as a more "hard" savings eventually. I feel a CD (Certificate of Deposit) would be too solid for me to keep money set aside granted CDs to have much higher interest yields than most savings accounts.

Does US bank have branches in multiple states?  

Yup.

Their footprint is much larger than that of BMO Harris. 
BMO Harris is mostly isolated to the Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and a few locations in Arizona, Missouri, Kansas, and Florida.)

US Bank has locations in Minnesota (it's based here), Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Florida (2 locations).

US Bank Footprint

Spoiler

US_Bank_footprint_2013-03.png

BMO Harris footprint

Spoiler

1280px-BMO_Harris_Bank_2012-06.png

6 hours ago, Slick said:

Lame IMO that they'd go through your mail regardless.. snooping around in your room is not cool imo.

If you don't mind my asking, as this process obviously has physically altering aspects, what was your plan in terms of revealing it to them? Were you waiting to move out first or some other milestone?

I was originally waiting to move out first, but now that they know I'm gonna try transistioning sooner and just hope they just become fine with it ? its still a long process. Like I've only just started seeing my GP about it, and then the waiting list for gender clinics range from 1 and a half to 6 years which sucks. And thats just for the first meeting. Gotta have several meetings 

The Banta Queen

(That's right, Comic Sans just to annoy you)