Optical Drive Lifetime (POLL)

I'm looking to buy a Blu-ray Drive soon for movie watching on my PC, but some of them are pretty expensive!  I thought I might buy used to save a buck, but I'm not sure about safe that gamble would be.  After reading various articles and figures about prospective optical drive lives, I decided to just poll this great community.  Optical drives may have a certain rated time of use, but in practice how long have yours lasted?  I understand that there are a lot of variables to this equation, but this is mostly just out of curiosity.  Any thoughts on the topic would be welcome below.

Ie5uWE3.jpg

(In case you forgot what an optical drive looks like.)

(This didn't really fit any subforum, so I posted it here.)

only had 1 of many fail, and that was offbrand

all my onbrands 3+, 4+ years so far 

I had one that run for 5+ years and my friend has one that 4+ years.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

6 Years or more is more like 10 Years so ...

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Never.

Still have 10 year old working (but not operational) drives in my house.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I have used my optical drive on a average of 0 times in the last 5 years

[CPU] 4790K @4.6Ghz  [MOBO]  VII Hero  [RAM]   16Gb G.Skill Trident X @ 2400Mhz  [GPU]  Asus 770 2GB [CASE] Nzxt H440 [sTORAGE]  HyperX 3k 256, 1TB WD Blue [PSU] Evga Supernova G2 750W [DISPLAYS] 2x Asus VX279q @ 1440p [COOLING] Cooler Master V8 Gts [KEYBOARD] Corsair K70 Blue Switches [MOUSE] Corsair M40 [sOUND] Sony 2.1 Soundbar, HyperX Cloud Headset, Audio Technica AT2020 Mic [OS] 8.1, Yosemite, Gemini

I had actually more than 1 dying, but only 1 of them died of age, the other 3 odd's that i knew that died, were killed by humans D:

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

ODDly enough DVD drives are one of the more durable parts of a PC, despite them being mechanical. I've had them last many years and be problem free, even after using them hard.

That is ODD... ;) ;)

Thanks for the replies.

Checked the old PC that my parents had, the thing must be a good 8-10 years old now, and the ODD still works. They haven't used that PC for a 2-3 years though.

Yes it can happen. But it is usually the system that holds the disc, and that varies based on the disc surface. Although, it usually due to dust built-up inside over the years. You can open it and properly clean the drive and close it up, and it is fine again, in most cases.

Keeping your computer clean, and usually our drive like we do now: rarely, it will probably simply not break.

Nope, I've had the same drive for like 8 years or so, it works but it isn't in my system...who even uses discs anymore (jkdontbashme)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra