How bad of shape is AMD really in?

KarateHottie93

It's really disturbing how much Nvidia is dominating the GPU market when AMD offers more performance at most midrange price points, sometimes way more performance. The mining craze last year really screwed them over by pricing gamers out of getting their R9 290 and R9 290x cards, and then as soon as it died off here's Nvidia just throwing a cooked hand grenade into the GPU market with their $330 GTX 970.

More cores does not mean better. They could release a 16 core chip that still gets stomped by a quad. They need to start producing stronger cores instead of taking the more is better approach.

Wasn't it was intel that took a similar approach back in the day but with the raw speed of the processor and amd completely showed them up for it ? kinda ironic that they are seemingly falling for the same mindset

Wasn't it was intel that took a similar approach back in the day but with the raw speed of the processor and amd completely showed them up for it ? kinda ironic that they are seemingly falling for the same mindset

Do you mean netburst? Yeah, AMD had the bright idea to take the same approach with their FX line, and now look where they are, getting dominated by Intel. Intel didn't cancel their netburst architecture for no reason in 2006.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Do you mean netburst? Yeah, AMD had the bright idea to take the same approach with their FX line, and now look where they are, getting dominated by Intel. Intel didn't cancel their netburst architecture for no reason in 2006.

Ah yes, Phenon. They should bring those back, without the crappy Bulldozer architecture.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Boy, wouldn't it suck if AMD's Zen architecture (holy shit, I spelled it correctly on the first try) turned out to be a new line of A10 APUs?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

everyone on the internet is acting like if Zen doesn't deliever, AMD will die.

DX12...

"Rawr XD"

I'm a bit worried about them putting a lot of their eggs in the basket that is HSA, a standard that Intel, so far, has chosen to ignore and for good reason: If they don't support it with their CPUs and compilers the adoption will probably remain quite low, denying AMD the return on their investment in the technology on the desktop market. It's a dick move but I'm sure that's the reason.

AMD doesn't need Intel's validation on HSA as it will grow to be widely adopted either way. Mediatek is already working on HSA support for their mobile chips. Meaning HSA will be in every corner of the market from HPC to Desktop to Mobile. Bringing HSA applications to even your cell phone. There's too many benefits of HSA for Intel to ignore it for long including the most prominent performance and power efficiency. Even though HSA has been around for a while now the actual specification was only recently finalized. Carrizo will also be the first fully HSA compliant SoC.

I think AMD needs a new CEO...

AMD has had like 5 CEOs in the past 10 years

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I don't think Amd is going anywhere any time soon. I do feel like they need to make some improvements to their architecture, however, both in cpus and gpus. Since the markets going more and more compact and mobile, I feel like the higher power consumption and tdp that most of amds products suffer from push them out of a very important market right now. 

I like amd as a company much better than Intel and Nvidia, but there's no denying that Intel and nvidia just have, not necessarily better, but more refined and efficient products right now.

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker

With their current products I think they are dead for alot of people (2 yr old GPUs AMD, really?) But I am exited for the 390x

00110000 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110001 00110001 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110001 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 

With their current products I think they are dead for alot of people (2 yr old GPUs AMD, really?) But I am exited for the 390x

Intel kept their Pentium 3's going from 1996 until 2006 (Pentium M, Celeron M, Core Duo), so AMD's still got another 8 years of re branding GPU's before they are as bad as Intel.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Can't wait to see what the 300watt TDP APU's with HBM will be capable of.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like on various AMD related threads, the conversation has turned into a discussion about AMD's future. I thought I'd just make a thread for that purpose.

Please don't make this full of pointless shouting, but an organized discussion.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Where IBM is today but even more niche.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Well if they continue to not show their new line up nowhere

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I think they are depending on their new GPU that is coming out. Other than that what they have going for them is the ''Next Gen consoles". I like AMD though, hopefully it'll work out.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Advocate for 16 GB Of Ram for Gaming.

Agreed. I hit 10GB during most games.

Where IBM is today but even more niche.

What'd their niche be? APUs? Low budget? I feel like AMD is still quite innovative for their APU's, and the rumor is that zen's gonna have an APU with insane graphics on board.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Trying to figure out how to make their stuff run cooler lol. Nah, I don't know... don't really like their CPUs so I wouldn't know much about this topic

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

It seems like they spent a lot of time on APUs instead of making a new CPU architecture that competes with Intel's. Maybe if they make some huge breakthrough with CPU-GPU integration they could start a PC revolution :) it's a long shot though. They invested in a lot of things that just fell flat. Maybe the R9 300 series will be good and freesync will become big. There's still hope for AMD. And they made a really good API that seemed to fall off the face of the earth for some reason. Mantle is in like 11 games lol

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Some Top 5 YouTube video about good companies from the past.

But only if the new CPU's are not good.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The gpus I think will be ok but as for the cpus....they have to step up their game

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

they position is going to depend on the 300 GPU's and the zen CPUs.

with both good:

a major player for budget and OEM systems

with one good, one bad.

fighting to stay alive depending on older technologies(kinda like now)

with both bad:

absorbed by Nvidea or Intel, cutting the line down to 2 companies left and the EU summoning it's own gpu/cpu/apu producer to counter the Nvidea/Intel monopoly

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I hope they somehow figure out how to make enough money to invest in high end research and developpment to compete with Intel and Nvidia and destroy them. It would be nice for consumers.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1