How bad of shape is AMD really in?

KarateHottie93

I don't know, but I hope they don't go the way of Cyrix, without AMD Intel is going to screw us raw, and so is Nvidia.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A few things

1. I think if Intel does decide to go through with their whole aio motherboard thing, where the cpu and motherboard are soldered together, AMD will be able to rise up and take over the hardcore/enthusiast market, where most people will just buy PCs prebuilt, the custom built market can be dominated by AMD if Intel continues in that direction. Article here.

2. They will likely be bought out, Samsung for example showed interest in them, and I think that'd be a good choice since Samsung has the necessary power to make use of their stuff. The only problem is of course all the legal battles they'd go through to get it.

3. They'll likely become a GPU company in the end if the first two thing I mentioned don't pan out, cause AMD simply won't be able to keep up much longer. Especially if Intel FINALLY gets their shit in gear and makes a nomenclature for their processors that makes some God damn sense. I mean shit, 4690k and 4790k, and the main difference is hyperthreading and a little more cache? Wtf? If Intel makes some real budget oriented processors in the future, AMD is done in that market.

1. I think if Intel does decide to go through with their whole aio motherboard thing, where the cpu and motherboard are soldered together, AMD will be able to rise up and take over the hardcore/enthusiast market, where most people will just buy PCs prebuilt, the custom built market can be dominated by AMD if Intel continues in that direction. Article here.

Good news is that that article is from 2012, and during 3 years we haven't heard anything else about it. It's actually been denied by a Intel VP too:

http://www.fudzilla.com/32489-intel-vp-confirms-continuation-of-socket-cpus

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

If they don't start to really compete with Intel, they will be bought out. I don't ever see AMD going away completely.

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

It seems like on various AMD related threads, the conversation has turned into a discussion about AMD's future. I thought I'd just make a thread for that purpose.

Please don't make this full of pointless shouting, but an organized discussion.

AMD's GPU market is okay. I think that eventually their CPU's will get killed off, and I hope they use that budget to FIX THEIR FKN GPU DRIVERS.

AMD GPU's are fine, but not their CPU's.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

I have an AMD GPU, so I'm allowed to say this.  

I think AMD will end up becoming much more obsolete from the gaming area,  not completley, just much more.  I think they are headed towards APUs and enterprise.  Not really gamers.  

But, I want AMD to stay, I know if Nvidia is the only good brand they will raise the price of their cards significantly.  NewZealand doesn't need anymore price rises!!!  $1,100 for a 980 is enough money already! 

If Zen is a flop I think they'll pull out the CPU game for the most part. I think the part of the company that was ATi still has room to grow though.

Bought by Google

Even though Google buys everything, why AMD?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

If the 300 series doesn't make a killing, they'll be sidelined forever basically.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Even though Google buys everything, why AMD?

Assuming the post wasn't a joke based on the fact Google buys everything, potentially google could make use of AMDs resources for making their own fleet of servers.

If Zen is a flop I think they'll pull out the CPU game for the most part. I think the part of the company that was ATi still has room to grow though.

Yep, AMD can not afford a screw up in their current state, and if their CPU line is nearly killed of I hope they go back to being called Ati.

PMSL

Assuming the post wasn't a joke based on the fact Google buys everything, potentially google could make use of AMDs resources for making their own fleet of servers.

Does AMD make things like Intel Xeons?

Basic guide to CPU's!

Opteron (Xeon equivalent) CPUs are fairly good for servers and assuming with Google's big wallet they can improve the design and efficiency google could have a lot of very inexpensive servers.

If Intel makes some real budget oriented processors in the future, AMD is done in that market.

I think the main thing that is keeping Intel from doing so is to PREVENT pushing AMD out of the market.  They know they are dominating the market, but if they push AMD out of the market, this will open the gates for antitrust suits and more regulation.

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

I have an AMD GPU, so I'm allowed to say this.

I think AMD will end up becoming much more obsolete from the gaming area, not completley, just much more. I think they are headed towards APUs and enterprise. Not really gamers.

But, I want AMD to stay, I know if Nvidia is the only good brand they will raise the price of their cards significantly. NewZealand doesn't need anymore price rises!!! $1,100 for a 980 is enough money already!

as ed said in the latest tech talk, an APU with properly made software can slap any i7 around like its a toy. its just not that many if any programs are made to utilize it yet.

also APU gaming is pretty fair. i say in two or three years budget graphics cards being a thing could be just an option or not a thing at all. its very possible intel will make some leaps to have much better IGPU and AMD will get higher class R7 graphics on thier CPUs, or possible some of the lower tier R9.

I think the main thing that is keeping Intel from doing so is to PREVENT pushing AMD out of the market. They know they are dominating the market, but if they push AMD out of the market, this will open the gates for antitrust suits and more regulation.

hardly even thinking about what you said i read regulations and had a short lived nightmare.

so lets pretend AMD goes upside down and samsung buys them up, BUT not in a good way, completely taking them over.

what if laws passed, saying like, intel's new architecture needs a minimum of fkn.... 12%? improvement on all fronts.

that would be a nightmare. looks pretty from up above. but once you dive below its clear the water is fucking acid. :/

yur uh wizerd hairy

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

AMD isn't going anywhere. They practically dominate the GPU market, and it is not like they are doing horribly in the CPU market either. Look at laptops, practically every single one is AMD CPU and GPU, especially for any sub $500 laptop. Also they are owned by Global Foundries, which actually makes CPU's for many companies and not just themselves.

/e They also got the contract for all XBOX ONE's and PS4's.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Does this tell you anything?

Nvidia, Intel, and AMD

Wavering investment confidence. 

Nice gains from intel as of late. 

6b6010d37be0ca43dfb1f63b0c32e44e.png

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Wavering investment confidence. 

Nice gains from intel as of late. 

if by "as of late" you mean a couple hours then sure lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if by "as of late" you mean a couple hours then sure lol

No no, as in the last 2 months. $22 per share all the way to $32 per share. Wooping $x000 gain.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I know this topic is old and I hate to keep my own thread going for so long but since a few people have bumped it back to page one, I guess I'll give more input.

I bought two 9590's and three 3770K's from a liquidating shop the other day. I have the 9590 I decided to keep up and running and am actually using it to post this right now. I'm running the Windows 10 preview as my main OS with six virtual machines. One is Windows 8.1, two are Windows 7, and the other three are Ubuntu. I was streaming the UFC on Fox 15 weigh ins from Youtube on each VM and my main desktop all at the same time earlier and it didn't even break a sweat. Obviously these weren't full on servers and my specs are pretty decent but I still consider it impressive. I have 32 gigs of 1866 DDR3 underclocked at 1333 and two 240gb SSD's on my Crosshair that came in today. I've been running it for little over 11 hours and am so beyond happy with it. I was so worried about my cooling at first. It's an original H100 and so far so good with no crashes. I'll probably be replacing it with a Swiftech H240-X when I get paid just to be safe, and so I can put the Corsair back on my 4770K. Still though, I'm glad I own this CPU now and I feel like it gets a little too much hate condering it's fairly low price. If they packaged it with a better CLC that could actually keep it stable I think it would probably be a bit more accepted. I'd never give up my i7's over it but for a budget server rig, it's fairly nice.

But...that long rant leads me to my next point. WHY IN TH HELL ARE THEY NOT TRYING HARDER TO BEAT INTEL IN THE SERVER MARKET????? I didn't even know they still made Opterons until a few weeks ago. It's just sad. I really hope Zen brings the Opteron line back to it's former glory.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Well actualy I'd probably give up my 3770K for it but not my 4770K or even 3520M laptop lol.

The AMD CPU's get a lot of hate because they lack in per-core performance, and most people are gamers only.  You can have 100 cores, but if the games you're playing are only using 2-4 of them, then it doesn't really matter.  That's why the 9590 gets hate on (and the power draw).  I agree though, they're nowhere near as bad as a lot of people seem to make them out to be, and when you use them for multi-core applications they're really pretty decent.  

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

The AMD CPU's get a lot of hate because they lack in per-core performance, and most people are gamers only.  You can have 100 cores, but if the games you're playing are only using 2-4 of them, then it doesn't really matter.  That's why the 9590 gets hate on (and the power draw).  I agree though, they're nowhere near as bad as a lot of people seem to make them out to be, and when you use them for multi-core applications they're really pretty decent.  

But they are literally overclocked FX 8*** CPU's (which is why the voltage can vary so greatly), and AMD had the gall to charge nearly $1000 for them when they were released to consumers (they were originally OEM). Then there is the fact that you need a high end motherboard, a good liquid cooler, a beefy PSU, and a case with good airflow so the VRM don't fry.

PMSL

But they are literally overclocked FX 8*** CPU's (which is why the voltage can vary so greatly), and AMD had the gall to charge nearly $1000 for them when they were released to consumers (they were originally OEM). Then there is the fact that you need a high end motherboard, a good liquid cooler, a beefy PSU, and a case with good airflow so the VRM don't fry.

Yeah I totally get it, and I can see why/how it could be received negatively.  What I do not understand is the talk of "AMD CPU's are garbage".  It's simply not true.  Yes, they're behind in single core performance, and yes they're not really optimized for people that just game.  That does not make them garbage, though.  The 8320 and 6300 carry a lot of value for the price point they're sitting at, and that is unfortunately often overlooked.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

I understand all of that and those are valid points. The CPU for what is is though is really impressing me and I don't understand why people call it garbage. It may be an overclocked 8350 but at least you get a great OC without voiding warranty. From my understanding, the 9590's generally have slightly better silicon too but I'm not sure how true that rumor is. What I do know is that for $200 it handles multiple VM's way better than anything else near that price.

My biggest complaint with the 9590 in it's current state is that the Black Edition comes with a $50 cooler but costs $70 more than the OEM. My even bigger complaint is that the cooler it comes with is barely enough to keep it stable, and in a lot of cases it doesn't.