How bad of shape is AMD really in?

KarateHottie93

Until this whole Samsung story I just assumed they were well off without a problem. Then I was doing research on Zen and everyone on the internet is acting like if Zen doesn't deliever, AMD will die. Are they really in that bad of shape?

The fact that their processors are in just about every low end PC on the market, PS4, and Xbox ONE makes it seem like they would be doing pretty good. Are they really dying?

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Well the consoles are not doing terrible, which probably helps them.

Their GPU's are not terrible too and we will see if their new series is any good.

They should come out with new CPU's sometime though, since their current ones are not doing very well.

They are not dying.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

No. Their gpu's are just as good as Nvidia and sometimes even better in price to performance. They still own the worlds fastest dual GPU, the 295x2. All the consoles contract them for their GPUs. Their 3xx series seems boss.

They are recovering, not dying

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Does this tell you anything?

post-4438-0-88801900-1427563821_thumb.jp

Nvidia, Intel, and AMD

post-4438-0-88801900-1427563821_thumb.jp

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

390x will boost sales i suppose and next year they release new cpus

right now not so good, but next year...

I wouldn't say they are on the brink of failure, but they can't really afford another flop like the FX lineup. Their GPU sector could probably be its own company and be perfectly fine (it used to be).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

AMD has contracts with dozens of large tech companies, including Apple, Microsoft, Sony, etc. and they deliver many products at good prices, which will keep them afloat, so to speak. While we haven't seen many new products from them lately, they are far from dead

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

in gpus AMD is the best up to the 980 which beats it

but soon the 390x will crush (according to leaked benches)

in CPUs they are dead to me above the 6300

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

In terms of CPU if they don't catch up with their next gen then Intel probably has too much of an advantage in the high end desktop space for AMD to keep pace. Mobile might be AMDs refuge in that case. In terms of GPUs, AMD and NVidia are still trading blows no matter what fanboys either side might tell you. If the 300 series is as good as the rumours right now, AMD might put up a serious fight to NVidia in the GPU space.

Even if they are dying, I don't want them to, as competition is really needed in these times.

(Look at Intel, when was the last time they lowered the price of their CPUs?)

probably at the release of i5`s

Stocks don't tell the whole story

True, but when AMD's stocks are constantly decreasing compared to their competitors, that's got something to say about how well the company is doing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They're okay, but not in the best shape.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Dying, no. But they are a bit on-hold with releasing new hardware. 300 Series possible at computex. And Zen somewhere, anytime (Don't bug me, I haven't researched as I don't care about their cpu lineup) 

But I do admit they need to take care with their new gpu pricing. If thats goes wrong wellp.. pitty. But they could put out an serious competitor against nvidia's 970's. 

I wouldn't say they are on the brink of failure, but they can't really afford another flop like the FX lineup. Their GPU sector could probably be its own company and be perfectly fine (it used to be).

So as long as Zen is a true competitor to Skylake they will be okay?

True, but when AMD's stocks are constantly decreasing compared to their competitors, that's got something to say about how well the company is doing.

To me it says I should invest with the hope that Zen and 300x are both extremely successful. Then I can get rich and buy Nvidia GPUs instead :)

To me it says I should invest with the hope that Zen and 300x are both extremely successful. Then I can get rich and buy Nvidia GPUs instead :)

lol sweet plan

Spoiler

AMDs not in great shape but I think they are still far from dyeing, if nothing else I think both Nvidia and Intel want to keep them around so they don't have to deal with the hassle of antitrust laws ;) Alternatively we would see another company swoop in and pick up a nice pile of "cheap" IP essentially reviving AMD under a new banner... the second coming of IBM anyone? or perhaps Qualcom in the desktop space?

I'm not sure if this is right but I think the console contracts were design contracts so they don't actually have much of an ongoing revenue from them, I could be wrong on that though (remember Nvidia lost the contracts because they weren't willing to settle for such low margins not because they weren't offered them).

Well, actually that makes sense. Because when AMD has a big sucsess with there 300 series, Nvidia will be forced to drop the prices and you have to pay less. And you need to be a miser to get/stay rich! ;)

They're not growing exponentially and making exponentially more money so essentially they're a complete failure.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

So as long as Zen is a true competitor to Skylake they will be okay?

They should be. Besides if it's true that Samsung will buy them they shouldn't have money problems anytime soon.

If they can bring something truly amazing in a landscape of iterative cpus where in 4 years I haven't seen a worthy upgrade for my i7 2600 I'll be the first in line to buy one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

emm their cpus are old and they dont have new gpus on the market.and they wont have untill pfff...summer.nvidia gtx 9xx series already has 7 months advantage.ofc the situation is bad at amd

They've not really made money since like 2010.

They overpaid for ATi.

They spent loads of money making a new architecture.

They are making very little money on their graphics cards, but they are selling well.

So unless Zen is a big success I see AMD being bought out by another silicone semiconductor manufacturer.