March 27, 2015 - The WAN Show Document

nicklmg

I am confused a little, i've put my computer to sleep, and it draws exactly 0v, i know this because o have my PC attached to a UPS that reds almost everything, (APC UPS 1000Va smart ups), i know when the PC is in sleep, it's practically hybernating because, even if i remove the entire PC apart and reattach the and power cable to the wall and switch on, it resumes window, so my doubt is how does sleep on PC draw any power ? afaik with practical proof, it never does, 

or am i missing something here ?  :huh:

I know sleep will use some power since it needs to keep the system state stored on the memory modules. Not sure what's going on there if you're able to return to the same state if you unplug the power.

I just know any device plugged into the wall, powered on or not is going to draw power from the outlet, whether it be a minimal amount or not.

I'm no expert in this, though. I could be wrong, but it can also depend on what type of PSU you have, perhaps?

Lukes mom was HILARIOUS and needs to be a regular guest. she was so much fun to watch, and she could be the voice of joe everyguy who DOESNT know tech. awesome awesome awesome thanks for having her on!

"Try not to think of the price of the part you are cutting in half" 

;)

"If measuring twice doesn't fix it, GLUE will!"

I know sleep will use some power since it needs to keep the system state stored on the memory modules. Not sure what's going on there if you're able to return to the same state if you unplug the power.

I just know any device plugged into the wall, powered on or not is going to draw power from the outlet, whether it be a minimal amount or not.

I'm no expert in this, though. I could be wrong, but it can also depend on what type of PSU you have, perhaps?

ya, i am well experienced in this sleep thiggy, turn off you your PC using sleep, unplug power cable, infact disassemble your PC and re assemble it a day after and plug your PC back, it will just resume you PC, sleeping on PC takes exactly 0 volts, because , when you are in India and power goes every day like a lottery, you tend to do what you can to save data and my Pc is connected to UPS via Ethernet to USB, when the power goes, i have made it so the PC shuts off in 5 mins and my UPS will Turn itself OFF, yup, and in Bios i have set it so that, my PC turns on , on Last power state when the power comes back, so when the power comes, my UPS will turn it on itself and my PC will turn back from resume, yes my UPS shuts down as it has fans spinning up and to save power it shuts itself ,BUT it only does if you have set it up in the Bios 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

ya, i am well experienced in this sleep thiggy, turn off you your PC using sleep, unplug power cable, infact disassemble your PC and re assemble it a day after and plug your PC back, it will just resume you PC, sleeping on PC takes exactly 0 volts, because , when you are in India and power goes every day like a lottery, you tend to do what you can to save data and my Pc is connected to UPS via Ethernet to USB, when the power goes, i have made it so the PC shuts off in 5 mins and my UPS will Turn itself OFF, yup, and in Bios i have set it so that, my PC turns on , on Last power state when the power comes back, so when the power comes, my UPS will turn it on itself and my PC will turn back from resume, yes my UPS shuts down as it has fans spinning up and to save power it shuts itself ,BUT it only does if you have set it up in the Bios 

What the heck.

I just put my PC in sleep mode and unplugged my power for a short time to test this - sure enough it came back on where it was. I thought sleep mode stored the state onto the memory? Does it now go to the drives or something?

What the heck.

I just put my PC in sleep mode and unplugged my power for a short time to test this - sure enough it came back on where it was. I thought sleep mode stored the state onto the memory? Does it now go to the drives or something?

Yup, it saves a Page file/Image files on to your drives to the location where your virtual memory is stored.

Edit :

Hence, I always use Sleep, there's a reason linus always says, "who turns off pc anymore, sleep yo"

and i always sleep my PC and never shut down my PC, and it never ever users a single volt's of electricity 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Sad I missed the afterparty on this one. I would have liked to hear the conversation about getting your parents into tech.

My spouse seems to have very similar feelings to Mrs. Lafreniere on a lot of things and normally hates the WAN show but enjoyed listening to her responses to things.

And for me, bahahaha! The paper notes Mrs. Lafreniere showed made this episode. I can just imagine Linus lolling at them :D

Sad I missed the afterparty on this one. I would have liked to hear the conversation about getting your parents into tech.

Like you can't still watch it on twitch...

@Slick

It is "OK, Google." not bloody "OK Google Now". Damn it!  :D

Not THE most educational but definitely the most entertaining show I have seen.

Well done.

With the whole power thing

There are some really efficient coal burning power plants. 

A volcano that recently erupted released twice as much greenhouse gas than humans have since the industrial revolution.

Wind turbines are not cost effective in most areas (its a shame).

Solar is not very efficient (also a shame).

Small nuclear plants are good, big ones are hard to control and are bad, especially when they don't have good storage for waste.

Geothermal is great but it can cause more movements in the plates and cause earthquakes.

Water power (dams) work great, but can cause environmental issues because rivers are getting turned into lakes.

So really, everything is kind of win (generating power) loose (environmental impact).

Luke's Mom wearing a fire dept. shirt -> Guy from NAS fire test video's last name -> Luke's brother IS a firefighter! /detective

Funniest, best show ever. MORE MOM MORE MOM MORE MOM,

This is fantastic. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

@Slick You can have your mom on the show anytime. It was a very entertaining WAN Show. Is she a member of the forum? I don't know her user name to tag her.

Edit: I just realized You've had your brother on the WAN Show, and now your mom. Now you have to talk your dad into being a guest next time Linus is gone.

@Slick Bio-Hackers are creepy as fuck....

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 780 (x2, SLI) CPU: i7 5820k Motherboard: Alienware Aurora R4 Mobo RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB SSD: Samsung EVO 840

HDD: WD Green 3TB Cooler: Corsair H100i

biohackers are scary  :o 

CPU:Intel Pentium G3258 OC 4,5 GHZ GPU:Zotac Geforce GTX 960 RAM:PNY 1x8GB HDD/SSD:1 TB Hitachi HDD/64 GB A-Data SSD Phone:Lumia 520 Laptop:Acer Aspire v3-531g/pentium b980 gtx 630m 4gb ram(rip acer aspire v3-531g harddrive failure + melted gpu;( )

CASE:Cheap Noname case PSU:Corsair Builder 430W Monitor:Acer 1920x1080 5ms OS:Windows 1.0

With the whole power thing

There are some really efficient coal burning power plants. 

A volcano that recently erupted released twice as much greenhouse gas than humans have since the industrial revolution.

Wind turbines are not cost effective in most areas (its a shame).

Solar is not very efficient (also a shame).

Small nuclear plants are good, big ones are hard to control and are bad, especially when they don't have good storage for waste.

Geothermal is great but it can cause more movements in the plates and cause earthquakes.

Water power (dams) work great, but can cause environmental issues because rivers are getting turned into lakes.

So really, everything is kind of win (generating power) loose (environmental impact).

Just a side note, they're working on reactors that run hotter, and burn up the fuel more completely, leaving it less harmless, it can also "renew" its own spent fuel, using the radiation from waste made by older reactors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reactor#Future_and_developing_technologies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor (they actually tried to let that one melt down, twice. To quote the engineer "it politely refused both times", as it approaches "overheating", the increase in temperature actually serves to shut it down, even with safety systems disabled)

With enough interest and education, we could switch to nuclear power world wide, with significantly reduced risk compared to the past and present. The biggest concern I see is moronic terrorists trying to blow them up, and malfunctions.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just a side note, they're working on reactors that run hotter, and burn up the fuel more completely, leaving it less harmless, it can also "renew" its own spent fuel, using the radiation from waste made by older reactors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reactor#Future_and_developing_technologies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor (they actually tried to let that one melt down, twice. To quote the engineer "it politely refused both times", as it approaches "overheating", the increase in temperature actually serves to shut it down, even with safety systems disabled)

With enough interest and education, we could switch to nuclear power world wide, with significantly reduced risk compared to the past and present. The biggest concern I see is moronic terrorists trying to blow them up, and malfunctions.

Cool. Nuclear power is a lot cleaner that most people think. Its not like in the Simpsons where the plant is destroying the surrounding environment. There are really only two problems with nuclear power. The first is that large reactors are harder to keep stable and safe in events such as natural disasters. So the solution is to have several smaller plants which are safer, more efficient (power closer to where it is going to be used), and provide jobs. The second problem is storage of the waste material. As long as that is done well, it really isn't a problem. 

Cool. Nuclear power is a lot cleaner that most people think. Its not like in the Simpsons where the plant is destroying the surrounding environment. There are really only two problems with nuclear power. The first is that large reactors are harder to keep stable and safe in events such as natural disasters. So the solution is to have several smaller plants which are safer, more efficient (power closer to where it is going to be used), and provide jobs. The second problem is storage of the waste material. As long as that is done well, it really isn't a problem. 

Well, as I said earlier, the newer generations of reactors, specifically fast reactors, tend to have less waste material because they run hotter and faster, leaving what is left over far less dangerous than the older reactors.

Creating jobs is a good point. I live near a NPP (The Lake Anna plant in Virginia) and they employ a couple of hundred people, all very well off considering. I know you can get a job there, as a janitor, for like $19 an hour, 40 hours a week, with benefits. Provided that you can pass a background check of course (yeah that place is secure as hell. Constant patrols of people with big guns, and on the lake, if you get too close to the plant, you get a warning on a loud speaker telling you to turn back or they will open fire on you).

The scary part, is when you're driving to work listening to the radio talk about a micro-earthquake that happened earlier this morning, and the alert sirens at the plant go on, but you don't know that today is test day (they test the sirens like, twice a year).

That actually happened to me, I pulled off the road and waited for that oh-so-terrifying *nnnngh* noise from the emergency broadcast system, which did come on, to tell me that it was just a test.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The Afterparty was great! check it out in twitch past broadcasts

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

lukes mum is a legend. i wish my mum was that cool. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016