Microsoft asks for feedback on its new set of icons of Windows 10

GoodBytes

The new icons looks better (than the other Windows 10 icons) in my opinion, but it bothers me that the folders are opening up away from you. It just looks weird and unnatural.

Top is Windows 7, bottom is new Windows 10.

attachicon.gificons.jpg

And no shadows :o

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

They're better. But, still to simple, flat and bright! Why is everything getting so flat and bright colorful these days. And details are missing on some which would be cool.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

That trash can looks like trash; the opening is too large, it messes with the perspective

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

In my opinion, why can't they just allow people to interchange entire sets of Icons. Allow users to create their own packages and distribute them for free/money through the app-store? I reckon it would work out, I would really like to see some changes in the way the operating system can be modified through App-store purchases instead of them affecting the Metro portion of the system.

And yes, I know you can get Icon packs on the internet, but wouldn't it be cool if people could create their own and distribute them through a relatively save platform? Making it easier for people who have little knowledge about online security to go and get one of these packs. Maybe this would also work with themes, it might bring over some people from the Apple side of things where they like things that look "pretty".

The new icons looks better (than the other Windows 10 icons) in my opinion, but it bothers me that the folders are opening up away from you. It just looks weird and unnatural.

icons.jpg

I COMPLETELY agree. The icons are much much better. Still simple but much more detail and not bright. The folders should face towards us though to show us the content more.

Terrible.

Then again I'd remove all icons. There's probably some registry field for that.

Hmm. The way those folders open really looks bad. I'm not a big fan of how these look but with some work I think they wouldn't be so bad. But they kinda scream Linux icons to me, they remind me a lot of the icons in some Linux distros

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I like the icons in the screenshot, don't really like the icons in the list (but they're just icons, I'd get used to them). The mockup in the linked post changes more than icons and I would rather have either of the official sets than have Windows look like what that person suggested.

The new icons look simplified, or minimalistic compared to Windows 7 or Vista icons. Why? Screens are getting bigger and sharper, not the other way round. (While some screens are getting smaller, they're still sharp enough for Windows 7 icons.)

Some of those Windows 10 icons look like upscaled Windows 95 icons. >.>

Well it's not that bad :P idk yet

I have to see it first(not on a screen shot )

I really like them :) clean and crisp

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

GoodBytes, on 18 Mar 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

build_10036_new_icons.jpg

survey_windows_10_icons_a.jpg

Loving the new look! Very elegant and a refreshed art direction is always welcome.

The old style of icons is definitely getting more and more bland every release & year.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I could probably fill a book with how many things are busted, broken, or not implemented right on Windows 10.

At least the icon's are taking a step in the right direction.

They are OK, but I hope Microsoft leaves the old ones as an option. (I'm actually stuck on version 9926, so I haven't seen the new icons myself)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

they should just use the windows 7 icons, but give them a 'flat' theme. i agree with the thing about folders opening away from you.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I guess I'm one of the few that thinks they jumped straight out of Windows 98. They need to seriously considering getting new people into their graphics designer team. I've seen icons for Windows on DeviantArt that looks fantastic. Maybe they should hire some of them to do their work.

*Before the Windows 8.1 and 10 fanatics freak out...I didn't like the icons in Win7 either.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I guess I'm one of the few that thinks they jumped straight out of Windows 98. They need to seriously considering getting new people into their graphics designer team. I've seen icons for Windows on DeviantArt that looks fantastic. Maybe they should hire some of them to do their work.

*Before the Windows 8.1 and 10 fanatics freak out...I didn't like the icons in Win7 either.

Maybe that's their marketing strategy. We'll just release a set of complete shit icons for the early builds and when it comes closer to RTM we'll just make them slightly better so consumers are thrilled over having something just slightly better than shit.  :P

Folders are at a weird angle, but I'd get used to that.

Recycle Bin and This PC do not look great, but liveable. 

attachicon.gificons.jpg

And all the other icons like My PC and Recycle Bin are all facing the wrong way (to the left)

If the icons are to face left, they need to be positioned on the right side of the screen and vice versa. It's elementary golden ratio knowledge.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

attachicon.gificons.jpg

The Windows 7 icons look waaaay better than the Windows 10 ones.

The "Are the graphics card drivers installed? What is up with the 256 color icons?" option should have more votes ...

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Ehh I prefer Windows 7's icons.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W