Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Haha I suppose I do deserve it :P

Sir, you do  :P

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Tea and computers don't mix. :angry:

Computers & Tea? Sounds to me like Windows NT...

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Yes mine once shut down itelf as it overheated.

He may had apply to much voltage

Well does he still blame you?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Tried to hotplug a Hard Drive while the computer was on. Motherboard SATA was Hotswap capable, and I did use the Windows Safe Eject Device, but when i pulled the SATA cable out, Windows froze and i ended up bricking my new Hard drive. Sad Face. (Drive was not the OS drive, it was a secondary storage drive.)

After formatting and re-installing Windows 7 on (what used to be) an HP Pavilion p7-1154 (from what was a separate partition) because of a hardware update at around 1:30AM, in the middle of the "Initial Setup" process I thought it would be a great Idea to lean on my computer case out of exhaustion. Of course, the one part of the case I blindly leaned on just so happened to be the reset button. Since I had thrown the original case with the Windows 7 code on it, and didn't have any DVDs or thumb drives with Windows 7, I had to go out and spend $140 to get a new copy.

Why not use one of the "cheaper" alternatives, if you know what I mean?

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Wining the lottery online on freeloto.com :p

Peer pressure...

true dat.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

Dell 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Dell 

That single word speaks volumes :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Mac mini... Nuff said...

yeah, but all of my all friend's dad's that buy it ONLY and I mean ONLY use it for programming iPhone apps

Blackberry Torch 9800, had about five of them

What is that XFX card?

I'm also curious to what it is and why they were such a bad choice, I moved to AZ last year and although it is very hot, I mean A/C?

gallery_26566_2_550768.png

This beautiful DAC came out last year, and was like nothing I'd ever seen before. I knew I had to have it. Akai usually make really great stuff so I didn't think of checking feedback first.... Bad mistake.

It still to this day does not have a set of fully functioning drivers. It is marketed as a 24bit/96Khz DAC, which you can only attain with an older set of drivers that use over 10% of CPU with the original firmware when idling (no matter the CPU and clock) and if you do update the firmware you get random device disconnections. However, if you literally sit for an entire day and install/uninstall over and over again, it will somehow work flawlessly until the next time you install ANYTHING that TOUCHES audio or USB settings on your computer.

I'm keeping it around mostly for it's looks. It has been relegated from my workstation music production DAC to my gaming sound card now though. It is very nice to operate and it does have excellent mic and headphone amp so with my heavy duty headset with XLR mic and everything, I'm the clearest-sounding gamer you'll ever hear on voice chat. lol.

Thankfully, it wasn't nearly as expensive as it looks!

The non-24bit Akai EIE non-pro apparently works just fine.... And it's even cooler looking :( :

akai_eie_main.jpg

And to make it worse, none of these devices have ANY problems on Mac OS!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Dell 

That single word speaks volumes :)

/\ This!

My last desktop was an xps. That coupled with vista. Just no!!

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

Deleting every single one of my drivers.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

I'm also curious to what it is and why they were such a bad choice, I moved to AZ last year and although it is very hot, I mean A/C?

Thats fun, our swamp cooler has be dead and broken for 5 years, with zero permission from my father to fix or replace it, because "its not broken"

I assume you don't own it then, since:

it's impossible to fit an 8 pin power cable through the 8 pin cutout with a motherboard installed

the rubber cable grommets leave a weird black residue on your hands when you touch them

the grommets come out of the holes if you put any significant amount of force on them

the cable routing holes are pretty small

the side doors are way too flexible and vibrate sometimes

the 5.25" bay door vibrates easily

the fan controller is near useless

only 7 PCIe slots and not enough space to hang a fourth graphics card off

CPU backplate cutout is too small

The hard drives are spaced out really badly if you are using corsair SATA power connectors

no front intake dust filters

airflow is mediocre if you don't want to use side fans

I own one, the only thing i don't like about it is the HardDrive bays. 

big

Thats fun, our swamp cooler has be dead and broken for 5 years, with zero permission from my father to fix or replace it, because "its not broken"

Hope it isn't as hot as AZ, gets around 110-120 around here in the summer, I think I would literally die without A/C.

thermaltake commander ms-i snow edition. cheap out on the case when i put my build together (case was on sale 4 $30). Cheap materials, cable management is bad, stock fan is horrible, little to no air being pulled out and also i have a noctuca nh-l12 cpu cooler when my legs lean agianst the case its the fans start to coilwhine because the case is not strong enough to hold it.

MY RIG: i5 3470 | 8GB RAM | GTX 660 2GB | 240GB SSD | 1TB HD

PERIPHERALS: CORSAIR K65 (MX CHERRY RED) | STEELSERIES SENSEI RAW | STEELSERIES SIBERIA V2

an old gateway back when gateway was gateway and the motherboard burned somehow ... 

ohhh and this one had PCI-e ports so i was one of the cool kids