Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My friend thinks skullcandy and beats are the best headphones and can't be beat

Off topic: would these still be good without an amp?

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ

Should be. They're 250 ohm however so just verify that your equipment can push them if you want full performance. Fyi for PC use some onboard audio solutions can push 300 ohms on the back I/O but can't on the front case I/O.

I run Sennheiser 650s + Asus Xonar STU and love it! The dac/amp also pushes my KRK Rokit 5s and Sub.

This is something i've done at least twice, finished a build, plugged everything in pushed power and... Nothing. Panic for like 20 seconds then turn on the power supply -_-

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHZ - Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev.2 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz - Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X edition - Corsair Vengeance C70 - 64gb OCZ vector SSD, 500gb WD Blue - OCZ FAT4L1TY 750w psu - Coolermaster Seidon 240m with Coollab Liquid Pro

Background story: A friend of mine was deciding to upgrade his old GPU into a newer and better GPU. This friend knew nothing about building computers so he called me up on the phone asking how to install it into his computer. So I told him. Open up your panel of your computer and make sure you slide the golden fin part of the graphics card into the "PCI express slot". He responded "its too small to fit". After he said that he told me he had to go and he would call me later if he needed help..... He never called so i thought he was fine until....

He called me the next day saying it didn't work and asked me to come over to help him, so i did. When he showed me the computer i started to laugh hysterically. He literally dremeled his PCI express x1 and tried to shove in his graphics card (PCI x16) into it. He didnt remove his old graphics card out of the PCI x16 slot.

Have you ever bought an expensive piece of hardware (exp: a high-end gfx card) and then regret it?

Share your stories :D

The only purchase I ever regretted was that of my Razer BlackWidow Torunament, for it was a low quality product and Razer didn't do much to help me about it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I regreted buying my 6670 for 90$, sold it for 40$, bought a hd 7770 for $120. 30 more bucks and double the performance. best decision? sold it for $140 , bought a HD 7950 for 140. 

Maybe when I got my 780 ti instead of a 780

My Computer (Yet to be named)

Processor: Intel i7 5930k @ 4.4 Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI RAM: 16GB EVGA 2666Mhz 4x4 Graphics Card: PNY Geforce GTX 980 ti  Storage: 1x Intel 730 240GB / 2x Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB PSU: Corsair RM650 Case: NZXT S340 Monitor: Asus VG248QE Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013

My laptop that broke 3 days after buying it without warranty 

(oh, 400th post) 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I bought a Razer Lycosa and all the keycap rubber wore off in under a year and I was left with big clear holes in them for the backlight to shine through.

That keyboard cost more than my current mech and was a total POS, I wouldn't touch another Razer keyboard with the lance of hades.

I skimped out on my rig when upgrading, went for a Phenom II instead of an i5 2500k. I spent the saved money on alcohol. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I brought 24gb of 2000mhz for computer about 2 years ago ..... yeah most of my time is spent word processing

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Razer Blackwidow, it's a fine keyboard, but there are definitely better options for the same price out there. Course I didn't know much about mechanical keyboards at the time, live and learn.

Not strictly computer-part, but I bought a 3DS XL in Feb, used it for about 2 hours. Just can not get into mobile gaming at all.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Any ubisoft title, I loved the games on consoles when you didn't have to deal with uplay but on PC it is easily the worst decision I could of made.

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

My xbox one if you want to count that

A PS3 160GB I don't really play it that much

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

I felt guilty after buying a K70. I like it though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Not high-end, but I feel like I may regret my purchase I'm making today- a Moto G.

My Gigabyte GTX 660, 3 months later there was a 35% price drop. :wacko:

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

I should have collected more and go with a new mobo/CPU instead of a GPU. My old GTX 550Ti would have been enough for a year or two with a 1280x1024 monitor.

But Im really loving Shadowplay and 1080p finally.

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

Razer seem quite popular here, so I'll talk about my bad experiences.

Razer Salmosa. Squeaked and fell apart after about a month. Expected more, but what I got was a £5 mouse for £34.

Razer Boomslang. Coating has worn off, constantly fails to work properly. Expected better for a £140 mouse, glad I only paid £35.

Razer Abysus. Bought this for my lady, cable snapped from the usb plug after about two months. Last time I will buy Razer. Their products are absolutely shit.

Intel Xeon E3 1220. Learned pretty quick that modern Xeons are just desktop parts with lower clocks now. Completely locked, was actually a downgrade from the CPU I had before (I7 950). Ended up totally bottle necking my GTX 670s in SLI so went to AMD.

Corsair H60. Absolutely useless pretend water cooler that can just about hold a 8320 at stock clocks.

ATI Radeon 5770 in Crossfire X. Despite what the reviews said I noticed every single last fucking runt and skipped frame. *THE* worst experience with a PC product I have ever had. It took about four years for AMD to get caught out conning people.

Radeon 7970. Obviously had terribly buggy drivers at launch and thus, did not work properly in my rig. Paid £439, ended up swapping it for a pair of brand new GTX 480s. Will never buy a GPU at launch ever again.

Radeon 7990. Bought this in a clearout with a 'free' XFX pro PSU for £479. Sold the PSU for £100, still disappointed even though frame pacing was out then. It works really well now, but yeah, early FP drivers were a bit sketchy, ended up wiping my USB driver and caused me to do a complete reinstall.

I avoid AMD GPUs now out of preference. I always seem to get unlucky with my rig and problems.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Not hardware but I bought Elder Scrolls Online and I also had a 3 month subscription waste of $90 played it for about a week. Also spending $100 on the summer steam sale instead of upgrading my rig, now I have over 50 games I can barely run.