Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Idiot on NeoGAF recomended my friend buy and i3 for his GTX760 upgrade

Which is a good suggestion, but he forgot to mention you can't use i3's on an AM3+ board.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Bought a desktop pc without a Wireless NIC. Knowing that my Wireless Router is in some other part of my house. 

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

Bought a desktop pc without a Wireless NIC. Knowing that my Wireless Router is in some other part of my house. 

Not sure why that's dumb. Just pick up a PCI one?

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

"Yes."

I smell FRAUD!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Let a kitten play on a gtx 760 while I was uninstalling drivers for the gtx 760

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Let a salesman at Fry's sell me my system so I could put it together. Should have picked out the parts myself. I was a console gamer prior to that though. The first build was a mess of part that had no business in a gaming rig, decent workstation. I wound up having to sell and replace just about every piece in it to get it to place games correctly. Massive frame drops all the time.

CPU: FX-8350 OC 4.4 GHZ, MOBO: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX SLI, System Disk 120GB Corsair Force GT, Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ, PSU Corsair TX850W. Dell 30" 3007WFP 1600p.

When building my first(and current) PC, I couln't figure out why my video card wasn't working. I tried reinstalling drivers then windows, then finally I checked to make sure it was securely in the PCI slot. I missed the slot completely. It was the last thing I installed in a m-ATX build with an upside-down oreiented MOBO(Silverstone PS07B), so I couldn't really see but still. I slapped myself in the forehead.

I've also spilled beer on my Ducky Shine 3 times, my Topre Type Heaven 2 times, and one of the times a few drops got into my PSU(top intake) so there's that. Miraculously not even the PSU suffered since I acted quicky switching off the power strip. But I bought a new PSU just to be safe and not mess anything up.

well, i dropped a laptop 10 feet off of a ladder once

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What happened after?

What happened after?

iSTduhe.gif

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I guess I was too excited that I forewent the peripheral. And I've bought a TP-Link PCiE Wireless Card a week after. :)

I would go bonkers if I see any cables routing through the ceiling, walls and doors. I'm a huge sucker on cable management. Even a mere usb hub protruding where I could see it would drive me nuts. (That's a little exaggerated but you get the point)

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

My very first pc I bought used (first problem). It was a first gen Vista HP and it had an athlon x2 and 800MB of usable RAM.Trying to rebuild this thing for to make it work for gaming is what got me into computers and technology in the first place, so it is all bad. Now I enjoy my 3770k and daul GTX 680's

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

i bought vista... 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Watching my friend order a $650 "Gaming PC" from Lenovo (no hate on Lenovo) that was refurbished through eBay. And then he starts questioning me why does this computer suck at gaming...I facepalm so hard it wasn't funny. I have been attempting to convince him to buy PC parts and have me build it for a week but noooooo he insisted that a pre-built "Gaming PC" from Lenovo would be better. FYI the PC he ordered has a i5-4440, a reference design GTX 650...a Seagate HDD with a no brand name motherboard and no brand name PSU.

Bought a PSU off ebay a couple of years ago and got it shipped from the states. Great deal on it at the time (ended up being like $55) but for the life of me cant remember the model number only that it was an older antec model around 450w. Anyways it arrived (i live in Australia) and i proceeded to install it completely overlooking the fact that back then antec still had the little red voltage switches on their PSU's and mine was set to 110v (us aussies know this pain well with our 240v electrical grid) . Tried to boot for the first time and it didnt end well. Lesson learnt to always check the pesky voltage switches xD

i bought vista... 

That's nothing. I bought Windows 98 in 2008.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

The bootable windows 7 repair disk can only be used once.  ( burned the disk from a bloatwared win 7 computer, it died the day after, neighbor siad he called her friend and the friend said it could only be used once

Also now she is spreading rumors about me stealing files from her computer)

<_<

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Headed up to the cottage yesterday for two weeks. Since it was such a long time to go up I figured I would bring my whole desktop so I could play some games. I wrapped my computer in a garbage bag to prevent it from getting scratched. I also put a folded piece of carpet under it because the stuff it was sitting on was uneven. I didn't clue in that this was a horrible idea. During the three and a half hour trip, the bumps and vibration of the van caused the case to move around in the garbage bag and on the carpet, generating static electricity. Little did I know the static electricity must have built up inside the PSU. I set everything up in my room at the cottage, tried to power on my computer and I got a nice loud buzz sound and a burning smell from my PSU, and it completely died. I'm hoping it didn't fry anything else, but I won't know until I return home. I know that at least my SSD and hard drives are okay.

TLDR: Static electricity destroyed my PSU because I am dumb.

The picture is of the only visual damage I could see inside the power supply. You can clearly see one of the ICs has a hole burned right through it. 

10559086_791786180866836_838132972_n.jpg

Well if he had no ethernet cables, he would be without internet until he obtained a pci card.

Put in my USB 3.0 connector the wrong way and a bunch of pins got smushed. Now I don't have any front USB :(

What happened after?

iSTduhe.gif

Yeah didn't you know that every laptop detonates an atomic explosion when dropped above a certain hight. 

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

I read a story somewhere, about how a guy was helping his computer illiterate buddy build a gaming rig (I can't remember the specs, but it was a pretty nice rig). His buddy texted him at work telling him how the CPU came in the mail, he popped it in, and fired her up.

He replied with "You used the arctic thermal right"

"What's arctic thermal?"

"Turn the PC off, right now"

"That's why I was texting you, it turned on, shut off really quick, and it's all messed up"

Turns out buddy friend his CPU to hell and back.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Thought I did a good job building cabel managament and all that, tried to turn my PC on and realized I forgot to install the PSU xD

EDIT: WOW now I feel real stupid :D but that was back when I knew hardly anything about computers and had to figure stuff out on my own.

My day has just been made :)