Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

The hot swappable servers were a joke. I remember when HP introduced it back in 2001/2002 and it worked on some, rarely but on most it would just fry the chips. This works best on the older Tandem servers where you could basically tell the command prompt, hey I'm changing a CPU right now so you have to move all the load to the other cpu's while I change it. But on a consumer grade board and most server applications it's a quick way to breaking something lol

This is true as a consumer board probably isn't specified or meant for hot plugging ram, although it did save my bacon one time on a workstation board. I thought a 2Gib stick of ddr2 registered ram was dead as the motherboard wouldn't post. I think the memory buffer must have had a bad bit that was "stuck". After hot plugging the DIMM, the problem disappeared, and Memtest found nothing wrong. 

Sometimes strange things happen, although I do agree that hot plugging ram on a consumer board probably isn't a wise choice.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Thing I learned , "Never get clumsy while working with pc components".

The stupidest thing I've done is putting all the hardware while running in the case, carefully but did it :)

Usually I'm not that lazy... please don't kill me...

generally don't muck around with things that has the capacity to kill you, especially things related to electricity.

generally don't muck around with things that has the capacity to kill you, especially things related to electricity.

Which reminds me, I've been shocked by a capacitor in a power supply, luckily I was wearing a grounding strap. Remember kiddies: Right Hand rule: If you use your right hand while working on high voltage equipment, put the grounding strap on that wrist, then hold your left hand behind your back.

That is to prevent an arc to happen across your chest: possibly leading to heart failure or a heart attack from the shock.

Now that I remember it, my solder iron touched one of the capacitor leads. Luckily my hand only felt shaky for a few minutes. I've also been shocked by 120v and 240v AC. Not fun, both were accidental, IE: a wire nut came loose while installing drywall. :blush:

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

My friend's brother apperently tried water cooling his computer just by pouring in tapwater into his case via a hose.... Seen and heard this specifically; heard this and then saw the rust inside of his case with puddles at the bottom....

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I was trying to plug in the 4 pin power to my LED strip on my side panel while the system was on and shortcircuited it. Luckily my Asus motherboard protection kicked in and shut off lol. 

I bought a laptop that cant even play minecraft :o. Browsing in chrome is quite difficult aswell

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I was trying to plug in the 4 pin power to my LED strip on my side panel while the system was on and shortcircuited it. Luckily my Asus motherboard protection kicked in and shut off lol. 

Why would that not work? I've done that a load of times with fans....

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Most "gaming" marketed prebuilts. Seriously a i7 with integrated graphics shouldn't be 1,000$

http://www.amazon.de/One-Aufr%C3%BCst-PC-i7-4960X-Aufr%C3%BCstset-Mainboard/dp/B00CD31P7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400704962&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+core+i7+4960x+gtx+650

What about an extreme edition i7 and a gtx 650? :D

I installed a Cooler Master Hyper Evo with the plastic cover still on it.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

Why would that not work? I've done that a load of times with fans....

It works except that the line was coming straight from the power supply and the pin on the strip was hard to get to. I couldn't get it in and kept trying and short circuited it. 

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

What happened?

a bunch of software bugged out and wouldn't work properly. Apps would find the old incompatible drivers and the fail to load. I ended up reinstalling windows and starting again

I installed a Cooler Master Hyper Evo with the plastic cover still on it.

I would love to have read that product review.

"You were here before & you did something , that's why the PC stopped working.."

:ph34r: a ninja waits in patience

Oh my God, This! So F'ing THIS.

A whole year later, I get a call from an old customer, claiming it's my fault if his PC isn't working anymore, A WHOLE YEAR LATER of him using it daily and installing/downloading all kind of junk... Asking that I should fix it for free because it's obviously my fault... Yeah, No.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Free 2 day shipping from amazon :D

However for me…buying an iMac. The regret is I can't upgrade the graphics card which is truly the main issue I have with this computer.

I looked it up (I am in a similar predicament) and if you're bat-shit crazy, you can melt the glue holding the monitor in and then disassemble the whole thing to install a new GPU.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

On my first rig, bought an i7 920, learnt to fiddle with bios, tried to dial in an overclock of 600 base clock and 22 multiplier (or 21 I forget), had no idea what it meant, saved and exited.

Pc wouldn't boot, I tried to turn it on 5 times, before i decided to switch back to default. Completely oblivious at the time.

My cpu should have died...

*"On the next episode of 'I Shouldn't be alive' we meet an i7-920 that was pushed to 13 GHz"*

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I looked it up (I am in a similar predicament) and if you're bat-shit crazy, you can melt the glue holding the monitor in and then disassemble the whole thing to install a new GPU.

I sold it ages ago for my new rig :)

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I sold it ages ago for my new rig :)

Just let me pretend that you're me from the future

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Just let me pretend that you're me from the future

Trust me just put yours on craigslist asap, get what you can for it, and upgrade. I'm loving life.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

On my first rig, bought an i7 920, learnt to fiddle with bios, tried to dial in an overclock of 600 base clock and 22 multiplier (or 21 I forget), had no idea what it meant, saved and exited.

Pc wouldn't boot, I tried to turn it on 5 times, before i decided to switch back to default. Completely oblivious at the time.

My cpu should have died...

*"On the next episode of 'I Shouldn't be alive' we meet an i7-920 that was pushed to 13 GHz"*

That's some nextlevel stuff right there ;-)

When I tried to overclocked for the first time, I atlet looked up som tutorials. Which ended up meaning nothing, because I can't seem to overclocked it anyway!

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Trust me just put yours on craigslist asap, get what you can for it, and upgrade. I'm loving life.

YOUR GOING TO BREAK THE SPACE TIME CONTINUUM!