Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Letting Fed-ex ship my pc.

Maybe let them ship your paperweights instead?

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Kept starting up the pc for like (3 weeks) using screwdriv3r shorting method , since it was easier & as i did not want to lookup the manual.

:ph34r: ninjas are lazy sometimes.

Details separate people.

On the PSU I was looking at the GPU plug and seen the wire that said 'GPU' but my card only had a 8 pin while the PSU have the 4 pin.. me being new, started to panic, and called the Asus, and they laughed at me.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Maybe let them ship your paperweights instead?

are you kidding? They will find a  way to break  those too !!!

..Recently bought a non-K i5 4670. :(

I love StarCraft

Intel i5 4670 @3.4Ghz - Gigabyte G1 Gaming Gtx 970 @ 1542Mhz - 120GB Kingston SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - Gigabyte B85-H3D - 8 GB 1333Mhz Kingston RAM - Azza Toledo 301 - SteelSeries Sensei/Logitech G400s - Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate - Sennheiser HD 598 - Zalman Zm-mic 1
 http://www.last.fm/user/thalandros 
http://www.mysteamgauge.com/account?username=76561198044810844

are you kidding? They will find a way to break those too !!!

Then ship bagged air.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I got pretty damn close to dropping my cpu once :P

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

on my first PC I installed a new graphics card without removing the drivers for the old one first, that was fun :( Course the only bad mistake is one you don't learn from :)

What happened?

Didn't install the RAM properly in my first build which caused my computer to go on an endless restart cycle which made me really scared...

I did the exact same thing, in fact I returned the mobo as broken and when the new one did the same I finally figured it out.

Just seen a live streamer build a PC with a 1500w PSU and ITX mobo in a full tower; no cable management, single GPU was at least a GTX 680.

It was built on a carpet floor with socks on, then puts mobo on anti-static bag to "Protect it".  Damn near wanted to face palm my screen.  The build was so unbalanced,  like slapped together I mean.

I have an Geforce 210 paired with a Pentium D 925 3Ghz dual core and 6Gb of RAM, the chipset technically only supports up to 4Gb. That PC is actually now running Ubuntu with Apache as a web host,a MySQL server, and 2x 1T in Raid 0 with SMB file sharing.

That computer used to be my daily driver until a few years ago, it would run Windows 7 half decently. Oh, since the motherboard was from 2003 and was a workstation motherboard, I got driver updates all the way until Windows 7 64 bit.  :D Driver support ended in late 2012 though. :(

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

connected my fan led switch of cm 690 to ground in the frustration of pc not booting up no matter what I do.Didn't realize i was connecting it to ground as anger had taken better of me. After that puff of smoke ,Fried the switch  :blush:  :( 
Thing I learned , "Never get clumsy while working with pc components".

Proccy: i5 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v, GFX card: Asus DCUII gtx 760, Ram: corsair vengence 8GB, PSU: corsair vx550w, Case: Coolermaster cm 690 II advanced, HDD: Segate 1TB+ 500GB , Mouse: logitech g400s, Keyboard: Motospeed ck104

Did you know you can add RAM while the system is running? Windows wont like it but a restart fixes it.

This I would never recommend to do... ever. 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

turned on my new built pc couple of years back without the heat sink on it

was a c2q 9550 it still works but it scared me hahahaha.

damn kinda embarrassing though since I was showing it on a class on how to build a pc hahahhahahahahaha

Live your life like a dream.

Accidentally did one of those "open all tabs" on my browser. My browser was frozen for about 5 minutes. I have a lot of bookmarks  :unsure:

I bookmark everything that i find interesting then forget to remove them I stopped counting my bookmarks at 75

This I would never recommend to do... ever. 

Technically speaking, RAM can be hot plugged as it is part of the standard. It just can't be hot swapped or removed once an operating system has allocated the memory.

Certain Linux and Unix operating systems will allocate memory that has been hot plugged, Windows on the other hand will only allocate the amount of memory present at boot time.

Some servers even advertise hot pluggable ram.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Most "gaming" marketed prebuilts. Seriously a i7 with integrated graphics shouldn't be 1,000$

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

well, this is more of a fail / win story.. A friend of mine broke his stepfather's vodafone dongle (3g dongle)  he broke one of the pins where the USB connects to the pc and the USB head would come off entirely (just the shell) I fixed it with some copper wire I broke off a piece of cable and gently forced it into the slide of the "shell" of the usb where the original pin was located. it worked for 4 years after that and then broke because of other retarded reasons, My friend's stepfather still has no idea he broke it back then.

stupidest thing I've done was open a hard drive to see what's up on the inside (I taught myself everything I know about pc's and had no internet) and expected it to work again after closing it back up. I still have that hdd as a memento, but I'm glad I opened that 40 gig beast, I learned a lot from the experience.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Buying a PC in a store from a bigger brand then building it myself or make someone assemble it for me. That PC didn't last long and you couldn't upgrade anything in it.

I might be psycho.  :huh:

I have to say that the biggest mistake I'd ever made was messing with GRUB. I can't overstate enough how much you do not want to fuck with grub  if you don't know what you're doing. I was very inexperienced at the time, didn't know what I was doing, and the result cost me a bunch of family photos.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

Not my fault, but I was once given the task of seeing why a CPU was overheating, and upon removing the stock AMD cooler, found that the plastic cover was still on the bottom.

Something that was my fault, while I was being told careful instructions on fixing some guy's registry, I must of misheard or went ahead and wound up deleting... something. poor guy I was working with went into shock.

Fixed the problem though.  :)

The 1000 Dollar benchmark on graphic cards. goes also the titan z

Yeah one giant FU for Nvidia.

OT on PC: Person asked me once should he buy a good PSU or a cheap one, I said a good psu from seasonic or others.

He bought a € 35,- a something something brand - 600 Watt, I repeat € 35,-!!

(I did not build his PC he did all by himself *cough* no respect for cable management *cough*.) 

So you could guess wjhat happend?

Yep is whole shit got burned to the ground mobo, cpu, gpu. hdd all dead, who is to blame?

me  :huh: he says.

The hipster bought a new Macbook and still says its my fault.  <_<

P.S.

If this continues I will smite the with a knuckle sandwhich and a broken macbook in his rectum.

Technically speaking, RAM can be hot plugged as it is part of the standard. It just can't be hot swapped or removed once an operating system has allocated the memory.

Certain Linux and Unix operating systems will allocate memory that has been hot plugged, Windows on the other hand will only allocate the amount of memory present at boot time.

Some servers even advertise hot pluggable ram.

The hot swappable servers were a joke. I remember when HP introduced it back in 2001/2002 and it worked on some, rarely but on most it would just fry the chips. This works best on the older Tandem servers where you could basically tell the command prompt, hey I'm changing a CPU right now so you have to move all the load to the other cpu's while I change it. But on a consumer grade board and most server applications it's a quick way to breaking something lol

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide