Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

It was the worst... I didn't even know what was wrong, so it happened twice in a row (after WRENCHING the pump on and it still leaking)

Took the pump of my Revo D5 to see what it's like and they are difficult to reattach. thankfully this was before it was installed and hasn't spewed...yet

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Trying to delid a cpu.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Trying to delid a cpu.

is that how you dropped your 3770k? I considered delidding my 4790k but decided 65 degrees tops was good enough

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

I dropped a Hard Drive and laptop at the same time... Luckily the owner forgave me... I just bought them a new hard drive... no worries eh?

I've learned to be careful when I work on people's computers after that.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

That Phenom II x4 is still a very capable CPU and has aged well, mind if I ask what your Intel counterpart would have been at the time you built your system?

i5-2500K or i5-2400

Amd phenom ii x4 955 Asus crosshair iv formula Kingston hyperx fury 8GB 1600mhz ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
Cooler master haf xb evo Antec 750w 500gb wd black BenQ gw2760hs Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 

i5-2500K or i5-2400

Hmm, ok, that is understandable. That Phenom is still a decent chip though :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

The worst tech mistake I've made was probably dropping my old motherboard that never worked again after that time.

~TheThirstyWalrus

bought a laptop to game on 

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

Laptop charger fell into a cup of tea, didn't notice plugged it in and dead..

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

How exactly is it possible that a larger, heavy block falls into a cup of tea without the cup tilting? Lol. Absolutely speechless.

It was the end of the cable. The cup was by my foot on the floor because I was sprawled out on the couch. It was one of dell's shitty chargers not the "good" ones so I would slide out easily without much pull. So it hit the tea, sat there for God knows how long and I just grabbed the bit of the cable I could reach. It's only when I took the cable back out I realised what happened. I managed to get it working but the charger port was broken and the inside part of the cable ( can't think of the words to explain) had melted.

I really was a bizarre incident

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Today I happily opened a 2 liter of cherry doctor pepper (usually drink the diet stuff...decided to reward myself...also drink beer near the machine without issue) and it exploded unexpectedly.  Killed a $150 keyboard, $100 mouse, and the remote to my $400 speakers.  It also made my $150 headphones sticky, though they still work.  Don't even get me started on the stained carpet, or the fact it took me an hour to get it cleaned up...not a happy camper right now. :(

Hopefully the keyboard/mouse will start working again.  They are unplugged and drying out.

This happened tonight... I found out that my CPU overheating issue was because I didn't remove the warning label on my water cooler. Was stressed out for months wondering why It kept overheating. Only till tonight did I try to re-seat it anndddddd voila...

post-12157-0-68032800-1451731268_thumb.j

post-12157-0-12861000-1451731278_thumb.j

"Ravioli Ravioli give me the Formuoli"

Looks like a metric shit ton of thermal paste too , as well as the plasticy shield .  Maybe watch a few YT vids on applying thermal paste to see just how little is actually needed (grain of rice).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Looks like a metric shit ton of thermal paste too , as well as the plasticy shield .  Maybe watch a few YT vids on applying thermal paste to see just how little is actually needed (grain of rice).

I think that the TP was the default from the vendor if I'm understanding his post correctly.

I think that the TP was the default from the vendor

Nah don't think so, no vendor would stay in business very long doing stuff like that..

Perhaps it was a case of "thermals are crap I'll add a bit TP nope they're still crap will add a bit more..."

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I think that the TP was the default from the vendor if I'm understanding his post correctly.

I highly doubt the CPU block came pre-applied with thermal paste ON THE STICKER..

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

My teacher always balances his laptop with external drive on the edge of the desk. He walked by and knocked the external drive on the hard floor, so it broke open and failed. Lots of that data was his only copy, despite having space available to back stuff up on the school servers. When he got a new drive, he went straight back to balancing it on the corner of the desk.

buying a cheap case. Now I really really really want an h440 and don't feel I can as I've only had my current case a few weeks

buying a cheap case. Now I really really really want an h440 and don't feel I can as I've only had my current case a few weeks

I feel ya there. I've built in some shitty cases (Bitfenix Shinobi jammed with a full custom water loop and E-ATX Motherboard anyone?) And the experience of building is totally ruined by it. Take the plunge on an upgrade, you won't be disappointed.

Choosing a CX PSU. Oh well not getting a new one 'till this one gives me issues.

CX PSUs aren't horrible, they're at least decently solid. Definitely look for better, but there are MANY options that are FAR WORSE than a CX at that budget.

Today I happily opened a 2 liter of cherry doctor pepper (usually drink the diet stuff...decided to reward myself...also drink beer near the machine without issue) and it exploded unexpectedly. Killed a $150 keyboard, $100 mouse, and the remote to my $400 speakers. It also made my $150 headphones sticky, though they still work. Don't even get me started on the stained carpet, or the fact it took me an hour to get it cleaned up...not a happy camper right now. :(

Hopefully the keyboard/mouse will start working again. They are unplugged and drying out.

Make sure to wash both thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol! I brought a GTX 760 back from the same fate as your keyboard using it!

is that how you dropped your 3770k? I considered delidding my 4790k but decided 65 degrees tops was good enough

yes, but i wouldn't delid the 4790k considering that the tim isn't half bad.

I get 85C on load.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case