Who is the Target Audience for Apple's new MacBook?

TheFalseHuman

[sorry if this is the wrong subforum, please move it if so]

Who is the target audience for Apple's new MacBook?

MBA 11         - 2.38

MBA 13         - 2.96

MBPr 13inch - 3.48 pounds

MB                 - 2 pounds

For the same base price of $1299, one could get the MBPr 13 - better CPU (not sure about GPU), much better I/O and still has the screen

I honestly don't see a good reason to get the new MacBook. The I/O is too restrictive/limited. I read that some people said that this is essentially an "iPad w/ a keyboard". Students can't afford or there are better alternatives. Businessmen would definitely want a laptop with better I/O. Content creators would want something better than a Core M CPU. Journalists might want to constantly use their USB drives?

WHO IS THIS LAPTOP FOR?!?!

so confused...

Or is this device essentially a luxury device, such as a Rolex watch?

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

It's a Facebook machine!

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

To be honest I don't know. I'm not sure who is willing to pay a premium on a low end device with limited capability. Maybe its for people that just want a small computer, maybe its for "Apple fans", I'm just not sure why you wouldn't save and get a MacBook Air.

Lleyn_sheep.jpg

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Any word I can think of to answer the thread question would be offensive to people of that type, and also might get me banned.

Linus is my fetish.

I actually had a thread very similar to this when it was first announced but it got deleted for some reason without any notice/reason. Anyways, I am on the same boat as you. I don't know why apple made this thing at all. It is lighter, thinner, and has a better screen than the air but is weaker, more expensive, less configurable than the air. I am so confused! Apple should have just left it at Macbook Pro and Macbook Air

PC Perspective has a review on the CPU (not any computer as a whole) and it seems to be a pretty respectable processor considering the extremely low power rating and clock speed.  

The target audience is some one looking for a very portable computer that is doing online work, office productivity, social networking, etc.  Basically everything that an average  consumer would want from a computer.   

Gamers and content creators are not the average consumer.  This computer is not made for probably 99.9% of this forum's regular patrons.  

If people would take off their anti-Apple glasses and stop drinking all that hater-aid for a minute and look with an objective eye, they'd see that it really is a fine computer.  At face value, yes I'll agree it's a bit expensive, but it's the first of its kind.  Remember how much the first MacBook Air cost?  Look at it now.  Price isn't everything.  

Edit // And it'll have the easiest hardware troubleshooting guide ever.  

If all you do is run a browser and don't want to worry too much about viruses and stuff then it should do you fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The same as always.

Market towards the hipsters, and once the hipsters adopt it, the moronic masses that follow the hipsters around will adopt it as well.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

for rich college students that want to show off by having a gold macbook, a gold iPhone, and a $10000 gold apple watch

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

If all you do is run a browser and don't want to worry too much about viruses and stuff then it should do you fine.

with that price? no

I knew this was coming.

But thats the thing, it's the only real market i can think of who might buy it...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

People still buy Macbooks and use them as Facebook machines so they will sell.

oh they will sell alright i know

I think it's for computer illiterate people and/or those who put slimness and lightweightness (PRETEND IT'S A WORD) first above everything else, above IO, performance, price or anything else. pretty stupid idea to only have one USB port tho... What if I wanna charge my Macbook AND use a second monitor at the same time huh?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

People with money burning a hole in there pocket for advanced metal netbooks.

Gullible people.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I have been trying to figure out who would it be useful for. and who can compromise that much to get such thin device.

i know im not the target customer. the least tech head i know is my GF and even she will have problems with just ONE USB PORT.

Processing power is not a big deal. its more than enough for everyday use.

its all good until you run out of battery and need to plug in a flash drive. 

there is no point having thin and light device if you have to carry a bunch of crap to even use it.

I have been trying to figure out who would it be useful for. and who can compromise that much to get such thin device.

i know im not the target customer. the least tech head i know is my GF and even she will have problems with just ONE USB PORT.

Processing power is not a big deal. its more than enough for everyday use.

its all good until you run out of battery and need to plug in a flash drive. 

there is no point having thin and light device if you have to carry a bunch of crap to even use it.

If I'm not mistaken, I thought one could use some adapter (since this is like a "must have" for such a new device) that would have USB port(s) and an another USB Type-C port, no?

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

If I'm not mistaken, I thought one could use some adapter (since this is like a "must have" for such a new device) that would have USB port(s) and an another USB Type-C port, no?

exatly my point... why carry another thing to use something else?

exatly my point... why carry another thing to use something else?

Well, consumers who are remotely interested in this MacBook should have at least checked the I/O or seen pictures of it on Apple's website and noticed the lone USB Type-C port on the side. So, I guess people who are buying this don't necessarily need to use their peripheral devices that often enough to look for an alternative?