Apple will make it easier for schools to use iPads by dropping Apple ID requirement

Everyone with an iPhone or iPad has to put up with the mild annoyance of entering their password when downloading apps or content from iTunes. But for teachers and IT administrators at schools, the situation is far worse. Imagine having to generate and manage hundreds of unique Apple IDs for each and every iPad owned by a school. Or, in situations where an iPad is shared among several students, the login information would need to be shared as well. Trying to load new apps or content onto devices in either of these situations would be a major hassle.

That's why Apple is moving to modify the current Apple ID requirements for iPads used at schools. Apple will allow administrators in education settings to download apps and content to iPads without assigning an Apple ID to each device. The schools will, however, retain an option to disable downloads from students.

In addition, students under 13 currently require parental permission to set up an Apple ID, even if it's a school iPad. In 2016, schools will be able to set up and manage IDs for younger students without going through the trouble of formally obtaining parental permission. According to Apple, these changes

"will make it far easier to enroll, manage, and support a large deployment and reduce many of the steps schools have to go through to get setup."

kids-steve-jobs-school-ipad-01.jpg?w=704

I still believe using an iPad in a school distracts you from actual learning. 

Source : http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/06/ipad-education-program-2/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

we have ipads at our school

they dont help much lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You know what makes it even easier? Not having to buy devices priced at several hundred dollars.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I want iPads for our school. So far, i'm still stuck on textbooks. help.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wow, they must have been listen to the schools in our area, they are universally hated for that very reason.   This is an awesome move and will no doubt see a great deal of sales from it.

Now all they need to do is allow IE to run on it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Schools are just wasting money by buying those iPads, unless Apple gives them a discount. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Lol we have ipad at our school, and my year is the only year that has macbook airs, before that we had those plastic white macbooks and now we have ipads, im in the right year... :) those ipads are good for nothing... macbook airs are great for school

Ive seen enough kids playing CoC

That pisses me off. My brother stealing my phone. Just to play CoC. So fucking annoying...

Lol we have ipad at our school, and my year is the only year that has macbook airs, before that we had those plastic white macbooks and now we have ipads, im in the right year... :) those ipads are good for nothing... macbook airs are great for school

I honestly want a macbook pro now.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

but the macbook air is 1 KG ideal for biking 8 KM to school... gtg bike 8 km to school with that 1 kg macbook air :D

The pro isn't even that  much heavier than the air.

Worked as IT support for a while at a school and setting up new ipads was a real pain because of the login. This would make it so much easier, nice to see apple loosen their DRM policies a little where needed.

Asus X99-Deluxe  |  i7 5820k  |  16GB DDR4  |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G  |  Samsung 850 Evo + 840 Evo 500GB  |  NZXT H440

we have ipads at our school

they dont help much lol

Most kids at my school just play games on them.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Schools shouldn't be buying expensive tablets. If they want to buy tablets they should be buying the cheapest ones of ones targeted at children. That way you don't have a mega corp in your school which just feels ripe for apple to abuse their power and when the tablet breaks the school doesn't have to replace £400 tablet.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Schools shouldn't be buying expensive tablets. If they want to buy tablets they should be buying the cheapest ones of ones targeted at children. That way you don't have a mega corp in your school which just feels ripe for apple to abuse their power and when the tablet breaks the school doesn't have to replace £400 tablet.

Schools are just wasting money by buying those iPads, unless Apple gives them a discount. 

I wasn't going to say anything, but it seems there is this misconception that ipads are a waste of money in schools.   A school with a decent IT program will easily capitalise on ipads (or any tablet for that matter) and make them a very worthy investment.  Secondly I don't know how much experience any of you have actually working in a school (maybe most of you are secondary students). but durable high quality devices are a must, anything cheap won't last 2 days when you have kids using them.  This is just a fact of life.  Anyone who has spent half a day looking at the carnage students can do to IT will know this. There are no cheaper options that are just as robust.   Sure you can get the lenovo but it's not cheaper, they could get the Panasonic toughpad, but no school has the money for that. Any of the acer products would probably die before the second day.

I have witnessed what tablets can do for students first hand, and for a school with a decent IT program they are almost a must have item.    As for playing games, well I that's just an issue with the schools policies not the ipad itself. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I use MacBooks in my school. But this year they just got even more useless because you aren't allowed to take notes with it, the teachers don't even use it, it adds a 2kg burden to you and the worst is, the wifi sucks

I wasn't going to say anything, but it seems there is this misconception that ipads are a waste of money in schools.   A school with a decent IT program will easily capitalise on ipads (or any tablet for that matter) and make them a very worthy investment.  Secondly I don't know how much experience any of you have actually working in a school (maybe most of you are secondary students). but durable high quality devices are a must, anything cheap won't last 2 days when you have kids using them.  This is just a fact of life.  Anyone who has spent half a day looking at the carnage students can do to IT will know this. There are no cheaper options that are just as robust.   Sure you can get the lenovo but it's not cheaper, they could get the Panasonic toughpad, but no school has the money for that. Any of the acer products would probably die before the second day.

I have witnessed what tablets can do for students first hand, and for a school with a decent IT program they are almost a must have item.    As for playing games, well I that's just an issue with the schools policies not the ipad itself. 

Any tablet will break easily with kids around. It's a big sheet of glass at the end of the day so it's going to break. If you hop down to the TechGore reddit page you will see broken iPads in schools on their all the time. I still think PC's should be the main computing machine in schools for kids as they are the best bang for buck/durability you will get. But that one is just my opinion as a PC enthusiast who want the industry to go forward.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Any tablet will break easily with kids around. It's a big sheet of glass at the end of the day so it's going to break. If you hop down to the TechGore reddit page you will see broken iPads in schools on their all the time. I still think PC's should be the main computing machine in schools for kids as they are the best bang for buck/durability you will get. But that one is just my opinion as a PC enthusiast who want the industry to go forward.

I am sure most of those broken Ipads are because the students wanted to break them intentionally.  I have worked in 3 schools now with ipads and none are broken.  The schools that have the best hardware are the private schools who make the parents pay for any damaged devices.

But all that aside, the ipads will last a shit load longer than cheap tablets. They are just better built than anything you can get cheaper.

I am sure most of those broken Ipads are because the students wanted to break them intentionally.  I have worked in 3 schools now with ipads and none are broken.  The schools that have the best hardware are the private schools who make the parents pay for any damaged devices.

But all that aside, the ipads will last a shit load longer than cheap tablets. They are just better built than anything you can get cheaper.

What age of children are we even talking about because I am talking about 6 year olds. Anyway yes IPad have better materials, they are metal mostly but you can still get cheaper metal tablets. Also do children really need to learn on an iPad, what is wrong with other technology that isn't as expensive.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

What age of children are we even talking about because I am talking about 6 year olds. Anyway yes IPad have better materials, they are metal mostly but you can still get cheaper metal tablets. Also do children really need to learn on an iPad, what is wrong with other technology that isn't as expensive.

Simpler interface, easier to lock down, better child friendly apps and software compared to android, better support from Apple for education

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The pro isn't even that  much heavier than the air.

Pro ain't even worth it. Only the air makes sense, and even that the x1 from lenovo competes with it. For the Macbook pro, it would make more sense to go with a y50 unless you just want the OS.

Of course, unless you don't care about graphics at all and you just want battery life. 

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

My old school got rid of all of their Dell Latitude laptops with iPads. How are you supposed to learn how to type on an iPad keyboard? Those bastards

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

We have around 1000 iPads in the school district I work for... this news made me so happy. We are Windows for the most part so students don't have individual Apple IDs which means mananging iPads is an absolute nightmare. This news will literally save me hundreds of hours during the next school year.