AMD Officialy Confirms Existence of New Radeon Flagship "Ultra-Enthusiast" GPU

TERAFLOP

In all my years on the interwebz, that is by far one of the dumbest comments I think I have ever read...

In the bigger picture of things his stance is no different from recycling paper at home, or choosing a washing machine that uses less power.  If everyone on the planet chose the more power efficient product in every category then the savings would be huge.  Being a small part of a bigger plan to help the environment is not dumb.

On topic, I see AMD have pulled out all stops in their marketing division, now releasing the "ultra enthusiast" GPU.  What does that even mean?  can you even get more enthusiast?  Still, this isn't quite as bad as Nvidia's titan Z being "game ready", you'd want to hope so for what they charge.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I said "every 970 thread". Not one single thread. Multiple threads were being made every fucking day, ranging from the meme video being reposted to people making threads about "will my 970 give me issues?".

That is barely related to the point that I am trying to make.. You are comparing the popularity of a card that has already been released to another one that hasn't. You are making a fool of yourself by comparing the two.

If AMD pulled something with their cards like Nvidia did (I bet they do, they just haven't been caught yet) this would be the opposite story with nearly every AMD video card thread at this point in time.

Don't reply if you don't want to I could care less, but when you make comments like that its honestly really hard to not call you a fan boy. :D

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

In the bigger picture of things his stance is no different from recycling paper at home, or choosing a washing machine that uses less power. If everyone on the planet chose the more power efficient product in every category then the savings would be huge. Being a small part of a bigger plan to help the environment is not dumb.

On topic, I see AMD have pulled out all stops in their marketing division, now releasing the "ultra enthusiast" GPU. What does that even mean? can you even get more enthusiast? Still, this isn't quite as bad as Nvidia's titan Z being "game ready", you'd want to hope so for what they charge.

It's not just the statement, but also the facts behind the statement. Maxwell is the 1st time NVIDIA has had any significant lead in power efficiency. Lots of people still think TDP = power consumption and don't read review graphs of actual power consumption.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

That is barely related to the point that I am trying to make.. You are comparing the popularity of a card that has already been released to another one that hasn't. You are making a fool of yourself by comparing the two.

Don't reply if you don't want to I could care less, but when you make comments like that its honestly really hard to not call you a fan boy. :D

No, you're just not reading or comprehending anything.

It's not just the statement, but also the facts behind the statement. Maxwell is the 1st time NVIDIA has had any significant lead in power efficiency. Lots of people still think TDP = power consumption and don't read review graphs of actual power consumption.

The facts are quite simple, if the AMD cards in the range he can afford/require use more power, then what else is there to consider?  I think if the Nvidia card he was looking at used more power then he would boycott them and buy AMD.   It's not really a complicated thing, he just wants to buy the product that uses the least power.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No, you're just not reading or comprehending anything.

You've yet to provide a decent argument and to be honest I haven't read anything from you that is worth comprehending in this situation. Maybe you should reevaluate yourself to determine whether you are the one who is reading or not.

I'm done replying from this point on, this is clearly going no where lol.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

The facts are quite simple, if the AMD cards in the range he can afford/require use more power, then what else is there to consider? I think if the Nvidia card he was looking at used more power then he would boycott them and buy AMD. It's not really a complicated thing, he just wants to buy the product that uses the least power.

And the only time he could become such an activist is with the 900 series. What was he doing before then? Lets not justify something that ridiculous.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

And the only time he could become such an activist is with the 900 series. What was he doing before then? Lets not justify something that ridiculous.

What a load of BS, you don't know what GPU he had before, or if he even had one before.

How dare you make assumptions about someone else's environmental ethicss and label them ridiculous. you have no idea what lengths he goes to to ensure he is using the least amount of power in his house. 

What a load of BS, you don't know what GPU he had before, or if he even had one before.

How dare you make assumptions about someone else's environmental ethicss and label them ridiculous. you have no idea what lengths he goes to to ensure he is using the least amount of power in his house. 

If he was really serious, he could set his rig up so that its only using large amounts of power when not running intensive games. I myself have gone of games in the last few weeks, so my rig is now running off an old 400W PSU, Intel HD 4600 graphics, and 2 out of the 4 cores in my i5 4440. Pretty much my original Xbox has been all I've played games on (and at 100W-that's a lot less power than my GTX 970 or GTX 650 use on their own).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

YES!

AMD KILL THE TITAN X WITH FIRE!

I consulted the oracle and these are the oracle's three predictions.

1. It will take 50% more power.

2. It will be slightly less powerful for gaming.

3. It will have shitty drivers.

If he was really serious, he could set his rig up so that its only using large amounts of power when not running intensive games. I myself have gone of games in the last few weeks, so my rig is now running off an old 400W PSU, Intel HD 4600 graphics, and 2 out of the 4 cores in my i5 4440. Pretty much my original Xbox has been all I've played games on (and at 100W-that's a lot less power than my GTX 970 or GTX 650 use on their own).

He may not be that savvy with the tech,  However having said that, My issue is not with his claims but with the responses people are making toward them.  We all have criteria for selecting products, if environmental factors are one of them then so be it,  it does not give anyone the right to call him dumb or ridiculous.  

Am I dumb because I look for the most power efficient washing machine/dryer?  The only difference here is that we are talking tens of watts not hundreds.

Lol, this is hilarious. I guess I should commend NVIDIA. With Maxwell, everyone on the internet became an environmentalist overnight, compared to the old enthusiast attitude of not caring what it took to get the best performance.

Lol, this is hilarious. I guess I should commend NVIDIA. With Maxwell, everyone on the internet became an environmentalist overnight, compared to the old enthusiast attitude of not caring what it took to get the best performance.

don't be petulant.  You can't impose your criteria for a product on someone else.  They have set the criteria for the product they want, all we can do is match it when making recommendations.   If he wants to sacrifice dollar/performance or performance/watt for the card that uses the least power in total then why do you have an issue with that?  Why call him ridiculous because he cares about something that you don't?

don't be petulant. You can't impose your criteria for a product on someone else. They have set the criteria for the product they want, all we can do is match it when making recommendations. If he wants to sacrifice dollar/performance or performance/watt for the card that uses the least power in total then why do you have an issue with that? Why call him ridiculous because he cares about something that you don't?

I never imposed anything, and I never said I don't care. I pointed out that the difference in power consumption has been like you pointed out, in the 10s of watts. His statement made it seem like it's been an ongoing thing that Amd cards have been inefficient for years, when its been literally 5 months since nvidia pulled ahead. Amd hasn't even had a chance to respond to Maxwell with their own cards (I'm not saying their new cards will be efficient because no one knows yet) but he's talking as if his "issue" with Amds powr consumption has been going on for a while. But hey, lets all so here and pretend that Amd cards have obscene power requirements. I wonder if he was also angry with the 700 series.

Funny how you tell me not to assume about others, but you somehow came to the conclusion that I don't care about power consumption. The difference is that I'm not going to jump on the ridiculous band wagon that power consumption is the most important thing to me because of Maxwell. Actually, this bandwagon started before Maxwell because so many people think TDP = power consumption.

Can't wait to see the benchmarks of this card.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

I never imposed anything, and I never said I don't care.

You argued his criteria for selecting a card was ridiculous.  That implies you don't care, you also made a sarcastic remark about always having to recommended a maxwell because everyone is an environmentalist.  This is by its existence shows you don't understand the difference between what someone wants and what you think they need.

His statement made it seem like it's been an ongoing thing that Amd cards have been inefficient for years, when its been literally 5 months since nvidia pulled ahead. Amd hasn't even had a chance to respond to Maxwell with their own cards (I'm not saying their new cards will be efficient because no one knows yet) but he's talking as if his "issue" with Amds powr consumption has been going on for a while. But hey, lets all so here and pretend that Amd cards have obscene power requirements. I wonder if he was also angry with the 700 series.

That is all moot, it doesn't matter what card AMD might bring out tomorrow or who had the most efficient cards last year. The only thing that matters is what he wants right now.  You nor anyone else has the right to label his desire to save 10 watts as ridiculous or dumb,  if 50% of GPU buyers opted for a a card that consumed 10 less watts the word would see a power use reduction of more than 200megawatts.  To some people that is neither dumb nor ridiculous. 

And why are you talking about TDP, no one has mentioned it.  Why do you think your understanding of TDP changes someones desire to be environmentally friendly?   

It's pretty simply, he wants a card that uses the least power and right now for the card he needs that's not AMD.  end of story,  you people love insulting others because you don't share their beliefs.

Funny how you tell me not to assume about others, but you somehow came to the conclusion that I don't care about power consumption.

You yourself said it was ridiculous, no assumption was made, you can't care about something and call it ridiculous at the same time. 

In the bigger picture of things his stance is no different from recycling paper at home, or choosing a washing machine that uses less power.  If everyone on the planet chose the more power efficient product in every category then the savings would be huge.  Being a small part of a bigger plan to help the environment is not dumb.  

Lets call a spade what it is...This is some guy trying to explain his boycott for AMD cards because he's an environmentalist....over miniscule power draw differences in the grand scheme of things. If you dont like AMD cards because they run too hot, or draw too much power, fine. The crux of his point is from an environmentalist standpoint, not from an economical one. This actually is laughable

So if I use a semi-synthetic motor oil in my Humvee and boycott regular oil, does that also make me an environmentalist? Does this illogical flow not escape you? 

Now, if he is such an environmentalist, lets next ask this yahoo how he disposes all his old PC components? How and when does he plan on boycotting PCs when he realizes where they get dumped?

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

The facts are quite simple, if the AMD cards in the range he can afford/require use more power, then what else is there to consider?  I think if the Nvidia card he was looking at used more power then he would boycott them and buy AMD.   It's not really a complicated thing, he just wants to buy the product that uses the least power.

Then he should get a GT 720 if he's worried about power consumption that much.

You might as well suggest him to stick to his IGP. There's a huge power difference between a 970/290x that could mean a lot for some people.

You might as well suggest him to stick to his IGP. There's a huge power difference between a 970/290x that could mean a lot for some people.

From what I've seen, the power difference isn't as extreme as what you'd expect.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lets call a spade what it is...This is some guy trying to explain his boycott for AMD cards because he's an environmentalist....over miniscule power draw differences in the grand scheme of things. If you dont like AMD cards because they run too hot, or draw too much power, fine. The crux of his point is from an environmentalist standpoint, not from an economical one. This actually is laughable

So if I use a semi-synthetic motor oil in my Humvee and boycott regular oil, does that also make me an environmentalist? Does this illogical flow not escape you? 

Now, if he is such an environmentalist, lets next ask this yahoo how he disposes all his old PC components? How and when does he plan on boycotting PCs when he realizes where they get dumped?

When he comes back on we can ask him.  Being environmentally friendly doesn't mean living in a cave.   I applaud all attempts to better the environment no matter how small.

Again though,  this is the crux of my issue:

My issue is not with his claims but with the responses people are making toward them. We all have criteria for selecting products, if environmental factors are one of them then so be it, it does not give anyone the right to call him dumb or ridiculous.

Why stop there, maybe he should be living in a cave eating moss.  :rolleyes:

As I have already said several times, just because he wants to save power doesn't mean he should go with out, it just means he has to choose the most efficient card in his requirement range.

There's a huge power difference between a 970/290x that could mean a lot for some people.

Most results would like to argue with you here. Unless by "huge power difference" you mean between 20 and 150W depending, overclocks/voltages applied and load amount" then yes, thats a huge power difference. But seeing as how most of the time there is only like an 50W difference between the two, it's hardly a huge power difference, and if it is, there are more options. You could buy a PSU that wasnt made in 1990 as thus has a higher max load than 450W, or buy a higher efficiency PSU, since that will reduce your electricity from the wall at an equivalent rate.

When he comes back on we can ask him.  Being environmentally friendly doesn't mean living in a cave.   I applaud all attempts to better the environment no matter how small.

Why stop there, maybe he should be living in a cave eating moss.  :rolleyes:

As I have already said several times, just because he wants to save power doesn't mean he should go with out, it just means he has to choose the most efficient card in his requirement range.

I don't have a small case but I plan on building a X99 based one. I don't need my Air 540 anymore, or really any large tower. I want it small enough to take with me with ease. That means I need to build the thing with thermals and power in mind. I don't want a large PSU, nor do I want one that isn't below a Gold rating; it staying quiet and cool is a bonus in a small case. 

I don't need components dumping hot air back in. I'll use a AIO on the CPU for sure. I need a blower GPU (if not a AIO GPU) as well, because I don't want that throwing hot air back into the case either. 

So when people like me speak of wanting something efficient, its not because I'm counting pennies on my power bill. Its because I want something that will use less power to get the same performance, generate less heat while doing so, and contribute to a quieter system. 

Your issue of keeping the environment in mind when making any buying decision is fine. No one disputes that. What I absolutely unapologetically laugh in his face for is calling himself an environmentalist and therefor boycotting AMD cards. There are too many deficiencies in what he said from a logical point of view that it needs to be called out. Boycotting a companies graphics cards based on miniscule additional power draw over the competition and calling yourself an environmentalist in the same breath is actually an insult to environmentalists everywhere. Again using semi synthetic oil in ur Humvee doesnt make you an environmentalist. It doesnt mean you have to drive a Humvee either...or live in a cave. Just dont call yourself an environmentalist as a thinly veiled reason for not wanting to buy AMD cards.

Maybe he mispoke or something...because as it stands its out of this world...I also am really intrigued on what he does with his old PC parts and what he thinks becomes of them in the end. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

There's about a 65 watt difference in power consumption between the GTX 970 and the R9 290X at full load.

65 watts @ 10 hours use per day = 237.25 kWh/year @ $0.20/kWh = $47.45 a year additional cost.

That's with gaming 10 hours a day every single day out of the entire year (not going to happen). So in reality the cost is only about 1/10 of that at the most ($4.75 a year).