FedEx Won't Ship Digital Gun Maker

qwertywarrior

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/18449/fedex-wont-ship-digital-gun-maker.html

it doesnt really make guns per se

18449-1367b095_680_400.jpg

A new computer controlled mill called the Ghost Gunner won't be shipped by FedEx, the shipping provider has announced. FedEx is refusing to ship the new product since it is used specifically to create guns. Defense Distributed is responsible for the Ghost Gunner--that company previously worked on a 3D-printed gun.

The one-foot-cubed device costs $1,500 and can help people carve aluminum objects based upon online designs. In the end, the Ghost Gunner helps people build serial number-free AR-15s.

FedEx seems concerned about the legality of such a device and that is why it does not want to ship it.

This device is capable of manufacturing firearms, and potentially by private individuals. We are uncertain at this time whether this device is a regulated commodity by local, state or federal governments.

As such, to ensure we comply with the applicable law and regulations, FedEx declined to ship this device until we know more about how it will be regulated. - Scott Fiedler, spokesperson, FedEx

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't have a problem with this but I bet someone would.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I want one of those... so I can make that custom aluminum heatsink for my component system...

this could be hard legal battle, if they broke it up and sold it as a kit. really though it's just like having your own cnc machine but, smaller. 

Couldn't you simply NOT tell them whats in the unmarked box? As far as I know they aren't allowed to rip open packages to check contents.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Couldn't you simply NOT tell them whats in the unmarked box? As far as I know they aren't allowed to rip open packages to check contents.

I believe they are actually. Or at least i know the couriers i've used in the past are allowed to check the contents. However, i don't think they check packages unless they look suspicious... And a box wouldn't look suspicious to me. 

A desktop CNC is not dangerous. A piece of aluminum is not dangerous. This decision is kind of short sighted, if the "Ghost gun" is was about protecting lives and people they should prohibit firearms themselves. Serial numbers just help track down guns, or gun owners, it doesn't stop them from being used nefariously.

This machine can make so much more than that. Imagine Making your own gpu backplate, 

kit bashing would be so much more easier with these. And what do this guys want it to make?

GUNS (part of). People gonna get hurt real bad... 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

wow people, this thing is $1500. If you wanted it to build a gun and shoot someone with it, it would be cheaper and faster to just buy a fucking gun. This is a small CNC mill, nothing more, nothing less. if you wanted to mass produce guns, a $20000 Haas would be far more economical.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

wow people, this thing is $1500. If you wanted it to build a gun and shoot someone with it, it would be cheaper and faster to just buy a fucking gun. This is a small CNC mill, nothing more, nothing less. if you wanted to mass produce guns, a $20000 Haas would be far more economical.

you know that not everybody lives in texas

some people need to wait 10 days

and some cant handle that :P /jk

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

you know that not everybody lives in texas

some people need to wait 10 days

and some cant handle that :P /jk

can get it from a private seller, or the black market

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Fact:

You can legally manufacture any gun that you can legally own. (selling it is illegal though). Also you can't manufacture machine guns because of some ridiculous date based law. Not to mention how incredibly dangerous it is to try and build a machine gun.

Second Fact:

The anti gun crowd will be behind the downfall of the 3d printing movement because "erhmagerhd guns er berd!!!!". This is how good technology gets regulated and then ruined.

This machine can make so much more than that. Imagine Making your own gpu backplate, 

kit bashing would be so much more easier with these. And what do this guys want it to make?

GUNS (part of). People gonna get hurt real bad... 

Way to automatically assume guilt, and convict everyone who wants one of those based on that assumption. Congratulations, you are now a fascist.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Fact:

You can legally manufacture any gun that you can legally own. (selling it is illegal though). Also you can't manufacture machine guns because of some ridiculous date based law. Not to mention how incredibly dangerous it is to try and build a machine gun.

Second Fact:

The anti gun crowd will be behind the downfall of the 3d printing movement because "erhmagerhd guns er berd!!!!". This is how good technology gets regulated and then ruined.

Wait to automatically assume guilt, and convict everyone who wants one of those based on that assumption. Congratulations, you are now a fascist.

But...but... I don't wanna be a fascist! *sobs* ;_;

*chuckles*

All jokes aside. I think you might have misinterpreted my post :B (or maybe I wasn't clear enough)

What i meant was that this machine can make so much more than that and its a pity that the people

behind this machine are marketing it so heavily as a gun making machine (Ghost Gunner, the name

itself is so... er... threatening?? I have no idea what to call it.) This machine is so much more than that.

I predict that this is going to give desktop CNC mills a bad name. Anytime someone wants to create a 

desktop CNC mill to market as a creating tool people are gonna be like "OHH IT CAN MAKE A GUN

ITS DANGEROUS" and that kinda spoils the market .The "guys" in my post are referring to the people

behind the machine. If people who bought these machines made guns, I don't give a shit. I don't

care what they make with it. 

There would be a few blokes who are going to hurt themselves while making weapons though. So...

don't be so uptight. I don't live in the US of A and I don't care enough about your country to want to

think about your it. If in case you're interested, it is illegal to own a gun in my country. (carrying a bullet

means death and carrying an air pistol would leave you in jail.) You don't have to go around calling 

people fascist.

thumb1_7094c1c8-6828-11e3-8c55-5db9e964e x2

My two cents.

edit: Trik'Stari (Tagging you just in case. I didn't get a notification when you quoted my post.)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

But...but... I don't wanna be a fascist! *sobs* ;_;

*chuckles*

All jokes aside. I think you might have misinterpreted my post :B (or maybe I wasn't clear enough)

What i meant was that this machine can make so much more than that and its a pity that the people

behind this machine are marketing it so heavily as a gun making machine (Ghost Gunner, the name

itself is so... er... threatening?? I have no idea what to call it.) This machine is so much more than that.

I predict that this is going to give desktop CNC mills a bad name. Anytime someone wants to create a 

desktop CNC mill to market as a creating tool people are gonna be like "OHH IT CAN MAKE A GUN

ITS DANGEROUS" and that kinda spoils the market .The "guys" in my post are referring to the people

behind the machine. If people who bought these machines and made guns, I don't give a shit. I don't

care what they make with it. 

There would be a few blokes who are going to hurt themselves while making weapons though. So...

don't be so uptight. I don't live in the US of A and I don't care enough about your country to want to

think about your it. If in case you're interested, it is illegal to own a gun in my country. (carrying a bullet

means death and carrying an air pistol would leave you in jail.) And you don't have to go around calling 

people fascist.

thumb1_7094c1c8-6828-11e3-8c55-5db9e964e x2

My two cents.

edit: Trik'Stari (Tagging you just in case. I didn't get a notification when you quoted my post.)

A valid argument. Sorry for coming off so defensive earlier, as you can guess I'm a huge defender of the second amendment.

But the thing about this machine, is that it is actually made for making gun parts. Not all desktop CNC mills are created equal, and some of them can't get down to the kinds of tolerances this thing can, with the type of materials that you need to make a gun part. I remember reading up about it a couple months back, and basically most desktop CNC mills have too much "chatter" when using materials of the proper hardness to make a firearms part. Meaning basically, that they can't realistically be used for making those parts.

People can hurt themselves with anything, I stabbed myself in the thumb on a copper lead yesterday, when trying to plug in the front panel connectors on my motherboard, should we ban motherboards? You are right though, the anti gun crowd will jump all over this thing and ruin in home manufacturing all together.

Honestly, I can't imagine what sort of country would execute someone for having a bullet in their pocket, or jail them for having an air pistol. That sounds like something straight out of North Korea.

But the thing about this machine, is that it is actually made for making gun parts. Not all desktop CNC mills are created equal, and some of them can't get down to the kinds of tolerances this thing can, with the type of materials that you need to make a gun part. I remember reading up about it a couple months back, and basically most desktop CNC mills have too much "chatter" when using materials of the proper hardness to make a firearms part. Meaning basically, that they can't realistically be used for making those parts.

<snip>

Honestly, I can't imagine what sort of country would execute someone for having a bullet in their pocket, or jail them for having an air pistol. That sounds like something straight out of North Korea.

Welcome to Singapore.

Summary

Singapore has one of the toughest gun control laws in the world.  According to the Arms Offences Act, unlawful possession or carrying of firearms is punishable with imprisonment and caning.  Using or attempting to use arms when committing a scheduled offense is punishable with death. The death penalty may also apply to the offender’s accomplices present at the scene of the offense. 

Any person proved to be in unlawful possession of more than two firearms will be presumed to be trafficking in arms until the contrary is proved.  Trafficking in arms is punishable with either death or imprisonment for life and with caning.

Possessing any firearms or importing, exporting, manufacturing, repairing, or selling them, requires a license.  Licensing officers have the authority to refuse to issue a license, or to suspend or cancel a license without giving any reason.

What you said about the tolerance of this machine is interesting though. This can mean people can make more complex parts (other than guns :B ). 

Welcome to Singapore.

What you said about the tolerance of this machine is interesting though. This can mean people can make more complex parts (other than guns :B ). 

Damn, that's one of the most archaic laws I've ever read.

And yeah, I had thought about that too when I first read about it. Apparently it's all to do with being able to machine materials with a higher hardness rating, which requires stronger motors and a stiffer frame, and thus, more cost.

Actually that's kind of cheap for a CMC/3d Printer. Fairly cheap in fact

-------

Current Rig

-------

Damn, that's one of the most archaic laws I've ever read.

And yeah, I had thought about that too when I first read about it. Apparently it's all to do with being able to machine materials with a higher hardness rating, which requires stronger motors and a stiffer frame, and thus, more cost.

Interesting still. One can make more rigid parts with it (like rims of high powered RC cars?)  

Interesting still. One can make more rigid parts with it (like rims of high powered RC cars?)  

Pretty much. Guns are incredibly complicated pieces of engineering. The tolerances are extremely tight, (at least on an AR they are), and have to deal with really quite immense explosive forces and heat issues. Going rapid fire on an AR (even on semi auto) with a 40 rnd mag. can heat your barrel up enough to melt plastic, burn your hand, or even destory the barrel if you change the mag out fast enough.

Granted, that's full auto.

This one is probably better, it's the upper receiver (bolt, ejection port, barrel, gas tube) from an AR-16, on the lower (pistol grip, trigger mechanism, and magazine well) of a full auto m-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSizVpfqFtw

If you watch closely, when he's firing, you can see the barrel starting to glow red hot under the hand rail (actually that's the gas tube that pushes the bolt back to load the next round)

Pretty much. Guns are incredibly complicated pieces of engineering. The tolerances are extremely tight, (at least on an AR they are), and have to deal with really quite immense explosive forces and heat issues. Going rapid fire on an AR (even on semi auto) with a 40 rnd mag. can heat your barrel up enough to melt plastic, burn your hand, or even destory the barrel if you change the mag out fast enough.

Granted, that's full auto.

Wow those are some powerful guns people are (going to be) making at home 0_0

Wow those are some powerful guns people are (going to be) making at home 0_0

You can't make full auto guns at home, at least not legally. Even manufacturers have extremely strict regulations surrounding the making of a full auto gun. If I remember correctly, any "machine gun" made after a certain date (when the law was originally passed?) can only be sold to the military and or law enforcement agencies. You get a minimum of 15 years in jail for making a full auto gun at home if I remember correctly.

J.I.C. you don't know the difference:

Full auto: Hold the trigger down and it keeps firing

Semi-Auto: if you hold the trigger down, 1 round is fired. have to release and pull the trigger again to fire another round.

Even then, the AR sounds more powerful than it really is, it's a glorified .22. Accurate, but not terrifically powerful compared to some others