Here’s why you need to stop turning your computer off at night

If you want it to last, that is.

turn-computer-off-at-night-970x0.jpg

Each time I pick my long-suffering MacBook up and put it on my lap to feel the warmth of its overworked insides, I feel a pang of guilt for being the worst at remembering to turn it off more than maybe once or twice a week. But in reality, the practice of regularly shutting your computer down and booting it back up is not without its dangers - all that work can actually stress a computer out. So what should we do to ensure the longevity of the machines that keep our work (and home) lives humming along? Simon Hill from Digital Trends took this (digital) age-old question to the experts.

The short answer? "It depends on how often you use it," tech support guy Steven Leslie, from Geek Squad, told him. (Being Australian, I had no idea what a 'Geek Squad' was, but it turns out they’re a group of computer technicians who run a 24-hour support service out of the US.)

"If you use your computer multiple times per day, it’s best to leave it on. If you use it for a short time - say an hour or two - just once a day, or even less, then turn it off,"says Leslie.

And here’s why there’s a difference. Leaving a computer on all the time, day and night, is stressful for your computer, but it’s a constant stress. If you’re not making things worse by overloading your computer with a stream of memory-munching programs, it will steadily power its way through. But if you’re turning your computer on every morning - or multiple times a day - and expecting it to work for many hours a day over several years, that small surge of power that helps spin everything up can ultimately shorten its lifespan.

But on the other hand, if you have an old machine, the risks of leaving your computer on for extended periods of time could actually outweigh those associated with turning it off and on all the time, says Hill at Digital Trends. If you’ve got a newer machine, it likely contains a solid state drive - a device that has done away with all the moving parts of the traditional hard disk drive to achieve a better lifespan. The problem with traditional disk drives is that those parts wear down the more you use them, and this only gets worse when your computer heats up from constant use.

"Some items have a limited life cycle. For instance, if the [LCD] panel is left on all the time, it’s only spec’ed for about 15,000 hours, or about two years. For this reason, it’s good to let the panel time-out and turn off when not being used,"

HP’s Ajay Gupta, Director of Notebook Product Management and Commercial PCs, told Digital Trends.

"The battery and hard drive also have a limited life cycle. Allowing them to turn off (or sleep) and spin down when not being used will extend the life of these components."

But even this isn’t the whole story, as Hill explains:

"There’s still debate about the impact of shutting down and starting up modern components. To many, the very concept that shut-downs and start-ups create extra stress is dated, based on old components and mechanical parts we no longer have in modern systems. Leaving that argument to one side, there are some solid reasons for leaving it on or turning it off that aren’t up for debate."

These reasons are mostly no-brainers - leave it on if you want to use your PC as a server or run updates in the background, turn it off if you want to save electricity. The occasional reboot is important though, he says, as this generally improves the performance of your machine. And Leslie says using the ‘sleep’ option is much better than letting the machine ‘hibernate’, as the latter causes similar levels of wear and tear as turning it on and off does.

Head to Simon Hill’s article at Digital Trends to get more great advice, including why you absolutely need a surge protector in your life. 

TL:DR

The real reasons to leave it on or turn it off

There’s still debate about the impact of shutting down and starting up modern components. To many, the very concept that shut-downs and start-ups create extra stress is dated, based on old components and mechanical parts we no longer have in modern systems. Leaving that argument to one side, there are some solid reasons for leaving it on or turning it off that aren’t up for debate.

Reasons to leave it on

• You’re using the PC as a server or you want to be able to remotely access it.
  • There are background updates, virus scans, or other activities you’d like to occur while you’re away.
  • You never want to wait for it to start up.

Reasons to turn it off

• Leaving it on wastes electricity and can slightly increase your power bill.
  • You don’t want to be disturbed by notifications or fan noise.
  • Computer performance generally benefits from an occasional reboot.

Sleep or hibernate?

“Sleep is fine because it puts the computer into a low power state without turning it completely off,” says Steven, “In hibernate, your computer stops using power and resumes where it was when you put it in that mode. Hibernate is a less desirable option because it produces wear and tear that is similar to start and stop.”

The final word

“If you use your computer more than once a day, leave it on at least all day,” says Steven, “If you use it in the morning and at night, you can leave it on overnight as well. If you use your computer for only a few hours once a day, or less often, turn it off when you are done.”

Source : http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-why-you-need-to-stop-turning-your-computer-off-at-night

My thoughts : 

704a6037739b4c25b3ca8b565906ba51e3d373d1

I use sleep , and use sleep if not active for 30 mins and use turn off display at 5 mins. best config i can think of using a PC for over 7 years 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Welp, I will have my PC turned on always?
Guess so..

(Actually no, I have to sleep man..)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If I turn my rig off it doesn't turn back on, so no need to tell me lol. Also with my recent build(Hewlett Crapard), my storage only lasts for 4 hours without power, so it spends most of its life on.

No, I'm not wasting electricity.

An idle system with modern processors and gpus actually volts down quite a bit and uses dramatically less power, specially if you close programs and turn off the monitor but leave the system on. Seriously it's like maybe 30 watts from the wall or less while on idle.

And yes this is particularly good for power supplies. I thought my current PSU was dying but it turns out that while building and switching it just was too many boot up/down cycles, after I went back to my regular usage (several weeks of up-time and only power down to clean it once per month or less) the PSU has been chumming along happily.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If I turn my rig off it doesn't turn back on, so no need to tell me lol. Also with my recent build(Hewlett Crapard), my storage only lasts for 4 hours without power, so it spends most of its life on.

wtf 4 hours.

considering my rig pulls from the wall 200-250 watts idle i like to turn it off

My system has been on as long as 12 days without even sleep , i never really turn off , unless i really need the feel to turn it off once in a while , i've been using my PC for about 7 years, always keeping it on doesn't hurt the pc as much.
i prefer sleep over hibernate in Win 7 or later, coz sleep in WIn XP is useless as shit  

post-21562-0-17296000-1424775864_thumb.j

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Would not trust this really. Geek Squad operate here in Australia too and yesterday were onsite to repair damage done by a virus for a PC we'd build. The 'technician' proceeded to tell me that the user needed to have the data backed up on the infected PC, re install and then copy it back. Anyone see an issue with that concept seeing as the customer had a backup of their data on their old PC?

An idle system with modern processors and gpus actually volts down quite a bit and uses dramatically less power, specially if you close programs and turn off the monitor but leave the system on. Seriously it's like maybe 30 watts from the wall or less while on idle.

And yes this is particularly good for power supplies. I thought my current PSU was dying but it turns out that while building and switching it just was too many boot up/down cycles, after I went back to my regular usage (several weeks of up-time and only power down to clean it once per month or less) the PSU has been chumming along happily.

It just seems like a waste.

In all my years of using computers I have never encountered a computer breaking from turning it off. My computer is on for hours and hours and I will always turn it off when I am done with it. End of.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

My mom's wallet doesn't agree.

say that to the old PC's .. the ones with Single cores in them .. yep .. they're still running even after countless off/on cycles

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

It is a tiny bit yes, but I'll take that over prolonged lifespan on my hardware and yes my boot times are reasonable (20 seconds or so) but nothing beats 0 boot as it is always on (Yes I use my PC that much)

-------

Current Rig

-------

wtf 4 hours.

open.jpg

Yep. #justramdriveproblems

I got a few retired servers that had these, so I built a crappy computer too mess around with these things. ACard had a great idea with the ANS-9010, just that it makes no sense for a consumer grade computer.

This is why I Fold 24/7. Last time I rebooted was when I had a weird driver crash. It had been on Folding for almost two months straight at that point.

No, but really. Earlier I used to always turn off my computer while I was at work/sleeping. Because I felt that it didn't have to stay on during those 15 or so hours.

No, I'm not wasting electricity.

The electricity will be made anyway regardless of whether you use it or not. And if you don't, someone else probably will (some countries sell electricity to other regions). 

Unless you are on personal solar (being in Sweden, you probably are), in which case you might make money off of the electricity you don't use. 

Also realize that manufacturing computer components is not environment friendly. I'm pretty sure any electricity you'd save through shutting your machine down would be far outweighed by the cost of life the components lose.

The biggest reason not to shut down your computer is if it has a Hard Drive. When the head on a mechanical disk parks (gets in it's "sleep position"), it generally causes the most wear the drive will ever see (unless it's a laptop drive and is dropped while running). 

In Enterprise environments, it's found that HDDs that are left running live longer than ones that are shut down regularly and this is what is believed to be the cause.

If you want to be environmentally friendly and not wasteful, you need to balance everything out to find out what is truly most efficient. I highly doubt turning your PC off is best myself. 

To each his own though.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm not sure how you can even call a "Hewlett Crapard" a build and what the hell kind of storage are you using that only lasts 4 hours without power?

My main machine listed in my sig is usually shut down overnight not every night but most when ever it's not uploading a video overnight(screen sleeps and pc locks after 2 mins). Mainly because it's in my bedroom and it's hot enough in here with the LCD TV and surround sound amps no need to add extra heat and noise to what's already feels like sleeping in an inferno during the summer. My HTPC is very rarely shutdown and my other machines are rarely used so they just stay off for the most part.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

In all my years of using computers I have never encountered a computer breaking from turning it off. My computer is on for hours and hours and I will always turn it off when I am done with it. End of.

Actually its quite common tbh, older computers and older parts. Defiantly used to be an issue. From my days running internet cafes we had some shops that needed an upgrade where we used to leave the PC's on because turning them off normally meant something would break on boot up

In fact with some server grade Hardware there is (I'm sure someone will know the actual name of this) voltage buffers to reduce spikes and reduce wear and tear

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I don't turn my PC off at all, so that is great news

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8