I have an idea to solve cable management

gergy008

The cutouts aren't standard, and someone could be using a new motherboard in an old case. Your idea would break the ATX standard.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Don't see why not.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

there are people who modded their mobo that way, they soldered a 24 pin extension to the back of the mobo. it looked pretty clean, but it always seemed like there was something missing.

also you'd have issues with case compatibility

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

The cutouts aren't standard, and someone could be using a new motherboard in an old case. Your idea would break the ATX standard.

correct and same goes for the ports on the mainboard. the only way to make this work would probably be to either leave free space behind the board or turn the tray into swiss cheese.

For making the cases, a huge CPU cut out would be sufficient for most designs.

But then you'd have the huge issue of structural integrity in the case. As interesting as an idea this is, it's not practical at the moment.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Only if all the mobo manufacturers made a standard layout of cables and slim line cables are made standard and/or Case Manufacturers add connectors onto the motherboard tray (Would also allow for a lower amount of screws). 

However that would be impossible due to cost and the difference in Motherboard Sizes and the cost of doing double sided boards.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

The main problem with having the connectors on the rear of the board compared to the front is how the circuitry is laid out. If they were to reverse the connectors to the rear, the circuitry would have to be completely redone around those areas, which inherently will result in higher costs, due to more design work. Stick to a formula that works, and try to get it to a cheaper point, and improving upon it, rather than going a different direction. Reversing the connectors would also result in a new motherboard standard. It would no longer be ATX, mATX and ITX, as it would have a different layout overall

New standard, you're right. But here is a diagram of where I believe the components on the new standard are best placed. I wish I could give it the layout of the BTX, which truly did re-think everything and is more suited to a more modern system.

warning: Big image

35cf1cc2fe.png
Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

I trust the engineers know what the hell they're doing when they design these boards.

Well if you saw  the video of the nvidia engineer during the 970 scandal, its questionable!

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

there are people who modded their mobo that way, they soldered a 24 pin extension to the back of the mobo. it looked pretty clean, but it always seemed like there was something missing.

also you'd have issues with case compatibility

Yes, but cases that are designed specifically for the motherboard would be fine. Or it could just me a modders commodity in which the modders would specifically cut holes for the board connectors. 

But then you'd have the huge issue of structural integrity in the case. As interesting as an idea this is, it's not practical at the moment.

If the rest of the case is designed well, a swiss cheese mobo would be very stable as it has other case parts keeping the case ridgid. Also there ways to make motherboard trays stable by folding the metal in certain ways.

Only if all the mobo manufacturers made a standard layout of cables and slim line cables are made standard and/or Case Manufacturers add connectors onto the motherboard tray (Would also allow for a lower amount of screws). 

However that would be impossible due to cost and the difference in Motherboard Sizes and the cost of doing double sided boards.

I wouldn't say impossible, but if all the locations are standardised correctly there could be some sort of flexibility for where the connectors could go.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

New standard, you're right. But here is a diagram of where I believe the components on the new standard are best placed. I wish I could give it the layout of the BTX, which truly did re-think everything and is more suited to a more modern system.

warning: Big image

35cf1cc2fe.png

Good idea, but, It would be interesting to see why engineers originally designed boards to have everything ont he front.  and even if this board wasnt as widely used as for instance ATX, it would be cool to see it be like eATX, not as widely used, but still exists. 

I think it would make sense, but would push prices of motherboards higher,  as it would make the manufacturing process more expensive, and it would also make designing a case more expensive as you have to leave more room on the rear side as well as having to install cutouts on the rear side.  This would likely push case prices up.

It would be interesting, if someones got some spair time to design, using a PCB designing software, a prototype of it

Good idea, but, It would be interesting to see why engineers originally designed boards to have everything ont he front.  and even if this board wasnt as widely used as for instance ATX, it would be cool to see it be like eATX, not as widely used, but still exists. 

I think it would make sense, but would push prices of motherboards higher,  as it would make the manufacturing process more expensive, and it would also make designing a case more expensive as you have to leave more room on the rear side as well as having to install cutouts on the rear side.  This would likely push case prices up.

It would be interesting, if someones got some spare* time to design, using a PCB designing software, a prototype of it

For some people the cost of aesthetics like this are totally worth. I mean, it also has other practical uses. If all ports are standardised then the entire board is plug and replace.

Spoiler

2 words: Texas Whopper

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

2 words: Texas Whopper

yes.

I've not had a whopper in months. On purpose. Because when I do have one, oh boy

Spoiler

For some people the cost of aesthetics like this are totally worth. I mean, it also has other practical uses. If all ports are standardised then the entire board is plug and replace.

I think it would work and could be standardised, however, for it to work, you would have to have several case and motherboard companies release there new rATX products (get it? rATX/Rear ATX? cause the ports are on the rear?) aswell as cables becoming cheap and widely available for right angle connectors!

man I kinda want to write a wikipage on this!

Make it Wireless

#problemSolved

Wireless Monitors we need :D

They cause the biggest mess on my desk :(

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Wireless Monitors we need :D

They cause the biggest mess on my desk :(

You can Do it

But i think thier is a little bit of ms delay

You can Do it

But i think thier is a little bit of ms delay

Thats why nobodya doimg it, its not working well. Our wireless technology is too bad for thing that need to have super low ms response time.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Thats why nobodya doimg it, its not working well. Our wireless technology is too bad for thing that need to have super low ms response time.

You Can't Game, But Reading websites, and Maybe movies would work

Gotta Watch Youtube and see how well the new ones are xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRblAyf7bIw

pls

i wanna see @LinusTech Test this

now they need to make it smaller

It would suck for test bench users though...

00110000 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110001 00110001 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110001 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 

Hmm. It probably could work, but I wouldn't like it. If cables are done well, they can improve the look of a build. Having the cables completely hidden can make builds look empty. 

It would also require a who new standard of cases and such.

Or they could use really big standoffs and cut out a bigger whole behind the motherboard.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

wireless is dumb and stupid. seriously. it is. 

i thingk this is a good idea, but only for cubed cases... :/ or just make regular cases a few inches thicker in the back side. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Case strength? Room for connectors/cables? Remains to be seen how this would work, but yeah, sounds like a pretty neat idea.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

But then computers will look so boring.

Stuff like your 24 pin snaking in, and your CPU power in the top right add character if done correctly.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The added complexity, expense and difficulty To the design, manufacturing and system building do not make this idea worthwhile.