I have an idea to solve cable management

gergy008

Well, you would HAVE to have very specialized connectors that go straight for a little bit then go to a right angle. Motherboard tray thickness would have to be universal, as well as standoff lengths and motherboard thicknesses.

If you couldn't tell, I don't think it would work.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

It's asking for a very big change for a very small subset of PC owners. The current design allows for good enough cable management

for everyone except a few enthusiasts who have windowed cases or OCD. This isn't a criticism of people who like neat and tidy wiring.

I have a windowed case and some people think I'm OCD. Most PC's are just boxes in offices that are only opened if they break down.

I have seen modded motherboards where people move the power connectors to the backside of the board to do what you are talking about but i don't think i have seen anyone mess with sata

There's a reason as to why connectors are in the place they are.

Have you seen those wiggly traces in a motherboard?

trace.jpg

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/34959/why-wiggle-nearby-tracks-on-a-pcb

You could probably be able to reallocate some connectors but I don't think it would be a good idea.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

There's a reason as to why connectors are in the place they are.

Have you seen those wiggly traces in a motherboard?

trace.jpg

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/34959/why-wiggle-nearby-tracks-on-a-pcb

You could probably be able to reallocate some connectors but I don't think it would be a good idea.

see how the pins from the power connecters stick out the back of the motherboard... Well I have seen people desolder the pins and put them through the back of the board rather then the front and move the pins around on the connecter so that it is wired correctly. Its a cool effect because it is a running computer that you don't see power cables running to the board.

see how the pins from the power connecters stick out the back of the motherboard... Well I have seen people desolder the pins and put them through the back of the board rather then the front and move the pins around on the connecter so that it is wired correctly. Its a cool effect because it is a running computer that you don't see power cables running to the board.

That would be a cool project to do.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

First thing I thought was that the logistics and physics of placing various components on a motherboard would have to have been the top priority in the 1st and subsequent motherboard designs.  And so when I looked at Wikipedia on the latest BTX design, sure enough there was a statement on that page that spoke to the heart of the issue, in my mind anyway.  It reads:

structural design - The BTX standard specifies different locations for hardware mounting points, thereby reducing latency between key components and also reduces the physical strain imposed on the motherboard by heat sinks, capacitors and other components dealing with electrical and thermal regulation. For example, the Northbridge and Southbridge chips are located near each other and to the hardware they control like CPU, RAM and expansion ports (PS/2, USB, LPT etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_%28form_factor%29 

So if in order to put all the cables on the back you had to place components in different regions, you introduce performance design flaws.

Myself being a musician, we look at professional sound cards with a different agenda than Gamers do (at the top of our list is reduced latency measured by the starting point of a sound signal going into the sound card's IN port, through the DAW software and back to its OUT port, called round trip latency (RTL) using an algorithm developed by Vin Curigliano.  See http://www.dawbench.com/audio-int-lowlatency3.htm

The point being that the distance between components adds time, so moving components around for the sake of cable management seems not wise.  But I could be wrong in most of what I just wrote with regard to the OP.   :unsure:

Would not work for sff cases and it may be inconvenient for motherboard designers. I personally would prefer this IF I don't like cables but in some way I like them, Especially sleaved ones.

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings

It would probably work but too many stuff involve like space etc.

I remember seeing someone cut off some rubber or something along those lines used them to cover up to where the wires will be and it looked dashing.

I can't remember where I saw it but that was long 2 or so years ago.

Live your life like a dream.

I like the idea, but in reality 2 things would have to happen: 1) Motherboards would have to be redesigned (fairly drastically) and 2) The distance between the board and the tray would have to be made much wider. Definitely not ideal, but an interesting concept

EDIT: Grammar Correction

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2