AMD R9 390X Coming With Cooler Master Liquid Cooler + Estimated Performance

GPUXPert

Wow, this is stupid. Requiring a water cooler for a graphics card is stupid. This will make Crossfire more of a pain in the ass.

LOL I said the same thing when I seen my 1st water cooled system at a LAN party in VA Beach around 95ish.. He assured me that this was the future of PC gaming. I laughed and now look at us..... YEA!!!!!!! ;)

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

If it costs ~$750 Im so getting 2 of these

SAME!!!!       Anyone want to purchase 2  MSI R9 290X Lightning's

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

Im OK with it. If AMD is unable to make reference air cooler that performs well enough then this is good way to do it right. Sapphire, Gigabyte, ... Etc will have air coolers for sure.

Even if they did it probably be like the old 6000 series Refs they did that was like a Airplane throttling to take off ;)

So the 390x will cost a fortune, right?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

New user, first post.

I just read every post on all 13 pages of this thread and would like to ask/state 2 or 3 things:

1) When AMD releases a new card, i.e. r9 390x, do they let their partners have the specs at the same time, earlier than actual release, or a little later.  Essentially, how long after the AMD release does it take for MSI, Asus, Sapphire, etc. to work up their solution and begin releasing their version?

2) Regarding release price, I think if the price is above $700 it will practically be like AMD still being on the sidelines and not in the game.  Keep in mind that when Nvidia released the GTX 980 and 970 last summer (July? 2014), that those cards were not only very good cards, but they were at price points that people could afford ($550 and $350, respectively), and consumers outlaid the cash.  Meaning, that if AMD is going to pick up traction then they need to do similarly.  Even though the card will be better, IF the card is above $800 (let alone $1,000) few will be buying the card, and AMD will suffer further losses.  Loss of sales due to Nvidia's last card releases (for the past 7 or 8 months) and then "no sales due to too high a price release on this new card", too.  AMD needs sales!  

So it would probably make sense that they, like Nvidia did, release a new Top-end card and scaled down versions (i.e. r9 380x, and r9 370x) too.  But seriously, they need to compete and SELL their top card against the GTX 980, so the price had better be very close to the same entry price that the GTX 980 got released at.  That is why Nvidia has been raking in so much money.

3) I think you guys are being hard on User: patrickjp93.   I read through the link to the guy who was relating his chemical experiments and experience regarding galvanic corrosion and not only was that source very interesting, it read very solidly.  The replies about automobile radiators, and the existing AIO solutions not having problems, ... seems to contradict the SOURCE that was cited.  Somebody is off.   All in all, that SOURCE did make me take note and make me take caution again about jumping on board with liquid cooling (which I am always hesitant to introduce a liquid into an electronic stormfront like a PC is).   So more study on this topic is probably necessary, for me anyway.

4) A comment.  I just built two identical Win 7 Pro 64-bit systems, one this past July and the other 6 weeks ago, utilizing 

CPU: i7 4790K

Motherboard: Asus VII HERO 
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850 

RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1866 on my Music DAW machine, (the other with 16 GB of the same)

SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 Evo (the other 850 Evo)

HDD: Two (2) WD 1TB, in each machine

CASE: Corsair 760T (one white, the other black)

I have not yet purchased GPUs, and have been patiently waiting for a couple of reasons, but my Corsair cases are more than ample to accommodate a big card AND a radiator at the top, if need be.

Personally , I am hoping AMD pulls out all the stops and is able to release a near perfect Driver for their new card, too.  I always pull for the underdog.  I also admire them for their MANTLE thing and have hopes for their Free-Sync idea to get out fast.  They really do seem to have the mindset of the enthusiast in their heart.

It's rumoured to cost about $1500 USD. So I guess you're getting half of one?

they will drop just like the 200's did

LOL I said the same thing when I seen my 1st water cooled system at a LAN party in VA Beach around 95ish.. He assured me that this was the future of PC gaming. I laughed and now look at us..... YEA!!!!!!! ;)

That's a custom loop though. I don't mind AIOs in principle, I've used one on a CPU for a while now, but I think more than one is a bit ridiculous and you may as well go either air cooled or custom loop. @tmcclelland455 talked about having an AIO for every GPU you wanted in your system, so one for your CPU, one for your GPU, one for your other GPU and god help you if you want to go 3 or 4 way crossfire. You're going to have a complete mess of tubing.

I'm still curious how come Intel and Nvidia never merged. It seems beneficial to both sides.

Ego's ...... Like so many others on here. :D

I'm hoping that the 395x2 is bundled with a 240mm radiator, and is available this summer. I'm interested in taking advantage of dx12/mantle utilizing dual gpu memory as a single pool, since the plan is to go balls to the walls with 4k. Otherwise, it's two gpus and a custom loop for me.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Long term, no, you cannot. Get on my damn level. http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

STAY COOL MAN... :) Its just a video card

That's a custom loop though. I don't mind AIOs in principle, I've used one on a CPU for a while now, but I think more than one is a bit ridiculous and you may as well go either air cooled or custom loop. @tmcclelland455 talked about having an AIO for every GPU you wanted in your system, so one for your CPU, one for your GPU, one for your other GPU and god help you if you want to go 3 or 4 way crossfire. You're going to have a complete mess of tubing.

Agreed :)

I'm hoping that the 395x2 is bundled with a 240mm radiator, and is available this summer. I'm interested in taking advantage of dx12/mantle utilizing dual gpu memory as a single pool, since the plan is to go balls to the walls with 4k. Otherwise, it's two gpus and a custom loop for me.

yeah thats a great ideea. it should also include an amd employee to hold the radiator if the client also has a 240 AIO for its cpu

Even if they did it probably be like the old 6000 series Refs they did that was like a Airplane throttling to take off ;)

After how reference R9 290(x) turned out to be like and people making fun of them everytime you mention Hawaii I doubt that they will want to repeat it.

But we still can only wait and then see.

New user, first post.

*snip*

Welcome to LTT forum Toddskins. It's nice to see a good post :)

1. It very much depends on the launch. Sometimes AIB custom coolers will be on the market on launch day, but on high end card launches, it's usually a couple of months later. But again it varies.

2. Both AMD and Nvidia has their supply and demand pricing theories down. It is a very competitive business with fast product life cycles, so they know exactly what they are doing. The nane of the game is profit optimization, which means making as much money as possible. So selling fewer cards at a higher profit is more desirable, than selling more cards in general. Especially if yields of these new chips are not that high.

The last thing AMD needs to do now, is to set the pricing too low. They need to improve profit. If the 390x is indeed using an AIO water cooler, the product will have a higher cost, along with 20nm and HBM memory, the latter two being a first on the market. They can demand a price premium for those features.

Certainly a 390, a 380x a 380 and so on will hit the market for a lower price point, using the lower yield chips. So no worries there. If you can make a king of the hill card, you can demand a king of the hill pricing.

Either way, there are many pricing theories and strategies. AMD will use whatever benefits them the most, so I would not worry too much about it.

3. Patrick have been caught lying and manipulating a lot on this forum. I am happy to see that he is slowly changing, he just needs to learn his limitations and be better at listening to others, and admit fault when there is one. But he is getting better. It does mean though, that some people are extra attentive to his posts. I haven't followed the discussion, so I have no input on it though.

4. If you can make do without a new gfx for a while, all the new AMD stuff comes out within half a year or so (sans the 395x2). If they do not live up to your epectation, performance or price wise, you can always benefit from the lower Nvidia prices at that point. (Personally I prefer NOT to get locked into Nvidias proprietary ecosystem, but to each their own).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Awesome news! I wonder how hot it must run though...

90C+ on air for sure. Thats why they have to sell it with water cooler. That's gonna add to price for sure.

I'm not impressed :/

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

90C+ on air for sure. Thats why they have to sell it with water cooler. That's gonna add to price for sure.

I'm not impressed :/

Not impressed by 4096stream processors and 600+ GBps vram bus? Ok. I doubt we are talking 90c+ if this is only a 300w tdp part, with a proper aircooler, should be very doable to reach an acceptable temp. But of course, AIO water cooling, should give very nice temps, even with OC.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Same here if the performance/price ratio of  2 r9 390x is similar to the r9 395x2 I will get the second one.

240mm rad will be needed if you need an 120mm for the single gpu it the only resonable solution or they have the rad choise to be up to the user 

Not impressed by 4096stream processors and 600+ GBps vram bus? Ok. I doubt we are talking 90c+ if this is only a 300w tdp part, with a proper aircooler, should be very doable to reach an acceptable temp. But of course, AIO water cooling, should give very nice temps, even with OC.

Did u just say "only 300w tdp part" ?!

Please give me Nvidia GPU that ON ITS OWN (not full system consumption) eats 300w.

Vram thingy is nice is agree. I just need to see the performance in games or other applications (if it does support other ones).

It clearly destroys 980 but when 390x is out Nvidia will have 1080 coming out and 390x can be forgotten. All depends on pricing really.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Please give me Nvidia GPU that ON ITS OWN (not full system consumption) eats 300w.

Vram thingy is nice is agree. I just need to see the performance in games or other applications (if it does support other ones).

It clearly destroys 980 but when 390x is out Nvidia will have 1080 coming out and 390x can be forgotten. All depends on pricing really.

Titan Z is about 400-500w. If the 390x is close to that performance, I really do not see a problem.

We do not know how well 390x will perform, and we do not know when 1080 will be out (at least I don't). But we have no clue how that will perform either. The pricing is true. Like I said further up, the product life cycles are very short for graphics cards.

Same here if the performance/price ratio of 2 r9 390x is similar to the r9 395x2 I will get the second one.

240mm rad will be needed if you need an 120mm for the single gpu it the only resonable solution or they have the rad choise to be up to the user

Or for the 395x2 you could have an 80mm thick one like the Alphacool Monsta Nexxos.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I agree. I think when your TDP makes a GTX 480 look positively cool something is very wrong.

Titan Z is about 400-500w.

It's actually 375W, btw. A single GPU that has almost the same TDP as Nvidia's most performance-orientated DUAL GPU card is atrociously bad.

Or for the 395x2 you could have an 80mm thick one like the Alphacool Monsta Nexxos.

Exactly what I was thinking, just use a thicker rad, if then thin rad can handle 500w TDP of the 295x2 a thick rad could do 600w TDP.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I agree. I think when your TDP makes a GTX 480 look positively cool something is very wrong.

It's actually 375W, btw. A single GPU that has almost the same TDP as Nvidia's most performance-orientated DUAL GPU card is atrociously bad.

That's just what Nvidia claims. They have a tendancy to underestimate the tdp of their cards. Guru 3D calculates up to 479 watts http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-z-review,7.html

A single GPU performing as well as (or better than) a dual GPU card, at less TDP can never be "atrociously bad". How would that work? I know everything is about TDP and power effenciency (now that Nvidia is the leader in that category). But if performance is second to none, you would have to accept high tdp as well. Afaik AMD is more like to overestimate their TDP, unlike Nvidia. But alas, only the reviews will give us answers.

I'm not sure why people are freaking out about 300w TDP. My 290's both have a TDP of 275 watts, but Rarely to they even pull more than 150-200 watts each under full load and overclocked. I think I may have gotten close back when I overclocked them both to 1225/1550 to get a good score in the Unigine Valley Benchmark thread. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR