AMD R9 390X Coming With Cooler Master Liquid Cooler + Estimated Performance

GPUXPert

If it costs ~$750 Im so getting 2 of these

It's rumoured to cost about $1500 USD. So I guess you're getting half of one?

hai

Pricing a single-GPU card at that pricepoint would be financial suicide.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

The R9 395x2 is rumored to cost $1499 so the R9 390X should cost a bit less than half that.

this is stupid

How is it stupid? I mean sure the thread is stupid since we already speculated the hell out of this rumor but AIO on reference cards are sweet. For AMD cards it makes more sense as PowerTune and other technologies built in solely rely on thermal thresholds. The card will boost longer as long as its maintaining a solid temperature.

no ,they are not

It's a better cooling solution regardless of the GPU it's being used on (other than entry tier). AMD isn't that great with coming up with reference cooling solutions. So the fact that they could of air cooled the R9 390X is one thing but using an AIO on it just shows they are making the right moves to not repeat past experiences (R9 290X reference design).

in b4 all the hate. Liquid cooling is why R9 295X2 handily beat Titan Z all the while running cooler and quieter.

I'm all for liquid cooling. You don't void your warranty and it will perform better and be cheaper than buying NZXT G10 + water cooler.

But it was dual GPUs and otherwise had a combined TDP of about 500W! On what planet does it make sense on a single GPU!? If I were to buy this I'd have to completely rethink how the cooling in my PC works, which given the number of LED fans I'm using is a major aesthetic decision.

I hope there's the same selection of non-reference air coolers available and that this isn't just a sign that we're getting same old AMD brute-forcing ancient, inefficient architectures and be damned with power and heat.

But it was dual GPUs and otherwise had a combined TDP of about 500W! On what planet does it make sense on a single GPU!?

It makes perfect sense. The objective is to keep the GPU cool while keeping noise minimal. Any technology they can use to do that reliably and practically makes sense. The enthusiast community and the press gave them hell for the crappy coolers on hawai, glad to see they have learned from it. Also this means we can buy the stock version rather than waiting for 3rd party cards like we had to do with hawai. There is no reason to be afraid of liquid coolers

If I were to buy this I'd have to completely rethink how the cooling in my PC works, which given the number of LED fans I'm using is a major aesthetic decision.

all you need is to a 120mm fan slot to mount the rad. If you can't lose even one LED fan just mount it on the other side of the RAD (push/pull).

Man, so fast memory and only 4GB of it. Maybe the fact that it's fast compensates for the lack of quantity. I'll defintely strongly consider buying this, it's basically between 390X and 980 Ti since I don't believe nvidia will just let AMD have the faster card out. Also I'm glad it has a liquid cooler, much better than a loud air only setup. It does wonders on the 295x2 for example.

Wtf once again I'm seeing people complaining about a reference water cooler. I mean seriously, it is a premium feature, you get better temps on water versus air cooled alternatives. AMD sees they're not the best with standard air cooling solutions (e.g. 290/X reference), so instead their opting for a cooler, quieter and higher performing alternative. Like honestly, what is there to complain about? Everyone complains about AMD cards being a heater, well you're being offered a water cooler as standard with your card. 

If you still don't want a water cooled card, I'm sure the vendors will make air cooled versions regardless

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

It does wonders on the 295x2 for example.

one of the reasons the 295x2 beat the Titan Z. They were able to put two overclocked 290x chips one PCB without any problems. whereas nvidia had to downclock the titans a bit.

If it costs ~$750 Im so getting 2 of these

I'd expect it to get up to $800, AUD or NZD, since we don't have any release date or retail price all we can do is speculate about them. 

If it's under $750 I'll be a very happy tech enthusiast, if I can sell me 280Xs than I'd easily be able to afford a 390X. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Wtf once again I'm seeing people complaining about a reference water cooler. I mean seriously, it is a premium feature, you get better temps on water versus air cooled alternatives. AMD sees they're not the best with standard air cooling solutions (e.g. 290/X reference), so instead their opting for a cooler, quieter and higher performing alternative. Like honestly, what is there to complain about? Everyone complains about AMD cards being a heater, well you're being offered a water cooler as standard with your card.

it seems like some people here see water as an exotic, taboo thing. Once they get over that fear they will understand that the objective simply is to keep the card cool without being noisy. This will do that better than any previous reference cooler from nvidia/AMD.

it seems like some people here see water as an exotic, taboo thing. Once they get over that fear they will understand that the objective simply is to keep the card cool without being noisy. This will do that better than any previous reference cooler from nvidia/AMD.

Yeah it's so weird, like if Intel or AMD came out with water coolers as stock with their CPU's, far out sign me up any day of the week, absolutely no arguments

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

it seems like some people here see water as an exotic, taboo thing. Once they get over that fear they will understand that the objective simply is to keep the card cool without being noisy. This will do that better than any previous reference cooler from nvidia/AMD

i see it more like a stupid thing. very stupid. i don`t want a radiator hooked up to my gpu . if they lack the 'innovation' to design a decent air cooler,just leave it to the board partners

Yeah it's so weird, like if Intel or AMD came out with water coolers as stock with their CPU's, far out sign me up any day of the week, absolutely no arguments

Seconded, I don't see why all the fuss...

/The "I don't want it" argument..

Thats fine... you can wait for the partners to do air coolers.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i see it more like a stupid thing. very stupid. i don`t want a radiator hooked up to my gpu . if they lack the 'innovation' to design a decent air cooler,just leave it to the board partners

errr... They are leaving the air coolers to the board partners. That's exactly what they are doing.

Seconded, I don't see why all the fuss...

/The "I don't want it" argument..

Thats fine... you can wait for the partners to do air coolers.

Exactly... nobody is stopping you from buying an air cooler from MSI, Asus etc. 

It makes perfect sense. The objective is to keep the GPU cool while keeping noise minimal. Any technology they can use to do that reliably and practically makes sense. The enthusiast community and the press gave them hell for the crappy coolers on hawai, glad to see they have learned from it. Also this means we can buy the stock version rather than waiting for 3rd party cards like we had to do with hawai. There is no reason to be afraid of liquid coolers

all you need is to a 120mm fan slot to mount the rad. If you can't lose even one LED fan just mount it on the other side of the RAD (push/pull).

Water cooling should be an option, but it shouldn't be the reference choice. Modern air coolers are more than capable of cooling anything sensible. Hell, Gigabyte are claiming that the Windforce is suitable up to 600W. Personally since they announced that I've really wanted to see it on a 295X2 and see how it compares with PowerColor's attempt.

And no, I don't have a single 120mm fan in my pc, they are all 140mm.

All this tells me is that AMD have put more R&D into the cooler than the GPU core.

Water cooling should be an option, but it shouldn't be the reference choice. Modern air coolers are more than capable of cooling anything sensible.

Why not?

The fact that there are good air coolers available doesn't mean that the water cooler is a bad option. In fact it's a good, logical solution. The fact that there are good air coolers available which can get the job done doesn't make this bad.

All this tells me is that AMD have put more R&D into the cooler than the GPU core.

I didn't get that... knowing the 500w 295x2 can be cooled by it or similar tech.

All it told me is they knew it would be fine doing the job it may not even be needed for, but why not use it, less R&D needed for air/ref coolers on their part, the partners can do all that.

AMD played it safe, knowing the W/C will suffice MORE than ample for the job.

/I agree, those without 120mm fan placements will have trouble.

You could just ghetto/drill your own holes/cutout and make a side panel 120mm mount yourself, or buy another case.. (I know neither are ideal, dems the brakes so far until A/C cards are out)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

lol i love how people are treating liquid cooling like its a bad thing

It's not environment friendly. I mean what are the fish going to do without all this water we're pumping through our rigs.  -_-

Also, lower heat and power-consumption means better mobile GPUs. I seriously wanna get a 980m laptop if it weren't for all the money.

Yup. The 980M is roughly the same as a desktop 970, so, in terms of laptops, especially, Nvidia is winning me over.

CF is now done through the PCI-e bus, so the bridges aren't a problem. As for the coolers, there will be air-cooled variants as well.

I know about the bridge deal (thank god it happened!), but if you're one of the early adopters and you have to deal with the AIO, you might have a hard time shoving it somewhere and having it look nice (if you care about looks).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I know about the bridge deal (thank god it happened!), but if you're one of the early adopters and you have to deal with the AIO, you might have a hard time shoving it somewhere and having it look nice (if you care about looks).

most of the cases where you would use CF/SLI, are large enough to have 2x 120mm . R9 295X2 had long tubing, its said that you could mount that fan to the top of the case.

Then again, early adoption were never the most logical place. you can wait for non ref cards with their upgraded PCB, and with massive air coolers, where you need to find a case for

AIO is a good solution. Not too exotic (it is used daily by many people) can be directed easily to exhaust the heat completely out of the case. It is a good solution

Regarding TDP: if they get 1400 more cores with 10 TDP growth thats great, as 2800 "old gen cores" are competing with a new gen maxwell card at 4k.

But first lets find benchmarks and see what are the numbers for sure