"Do as we say, not as we do." - do you want to be untrustworthy?

You make your money by selling commercials as an advertising agency. YouTube is your vehicle. That is all cool by me. :-)

But having seen most of your videos, I know you there are more to you, than selling commercials. That is not your purpose in life. 

I don't get your new slogan, "Do as we say, not as we do." I know there always are humor in what you do, but the humor, that might be in this slogan, can be hurtfull, I think. I think that, because to be trustworthy, you must do what you say. And since Linus Media Group has this cool transparency between business and the people behind, the feelings and your way of life, I think you should not joke with this. To me you are trustworthy because you are your self. Not many people dare that! That makes yoy great!

I think you are more "We makes things happen!" or "It's fun to make things happen!"  :-)

Your avatar is a picture where you try to look like the picture of late Steve Jobs. So I know you think great! And have fun with it. Good jokes! You are a leader and why not be a great one?

Check out Simon Sinek. I could not have said it better:

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

and

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_why_good_leaders_make_you_feel_safe

Kind regards and all the best.

Gert Sterner

Odense, Denmark, Europe

post-163851-0-18642300-1423817692.jpg

post-163851-0-18642300-1423817692.jpg

"Don't try this at home"

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It's better than "We tech things seriously" 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This is something Linus says all the time in videos. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

They sometimes do extreme, unpractical things such as watercooling an entire room of pc's and throwing power supplys out of cars.

I believe the slogan is more intended as a "Take our advice, rather then copy everything we do in our videos".

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

I don't really care about the implications of that moto but i think its really uncreative to use such a common phrase. Might aswell be LinusTechTips - Just do it.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

this is basicly "Don't try this at home" but then a version which is more like "Don't try this anywhere, we are trained amateurs and call ourself professional"

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

i can see how people would be turned off and away by that.

but like 2%...

98% of current viewers getting a nice ''hah!!!! haha...'' at one video and their slogan, and the 2% who are like ''uhm.........'' will most likely look at it and investigate further. (thus making them get it)

It's better than "We tech things seriously"

NO IT IS NOT.

They sometimes do extreme, unpractical things such as watercooling an entire room of pc's and throwing power supplys out of cars.

I believe the slogan is more intended as a "Take our advice, rather then copy everything we do in our videos".

eggsactually.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

NO IT IS NOT.

YES IT IS MY FELLOW NOSCOPER

EDIT: maybe the slogan should be "Linus is hawt" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

YES IT SHOULD 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

QZSw0sO.gif

But ''We tech things seriously'' is such a Linus thing to say... it fits imo. Whereas ''do as we(i) say not as we(i) do'' is just some lame phrase... Its like saying ''the best thing since sliced bread''

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Never stopped to think about it, but it makes sense for new viewers who don't realize (and rightly so) it's nothing more than a joke.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

QZSw0sO.gif

just read my sig and translate the binary line. xD

what?!?!?!

its true. :P

and yes. i have PM'd him asking for a shirtless build log. and yes, unfourtunately he said no. xD (BUT WITH A WINKY FACE)

But ''We tech things seriously'' is such a Linus thing to say... it fits imo. Whereas ''do as we(i) say not as we(i) do'' is just some lame phrase... Its like saying ''the best thing since sliced bread''

sometimes i call things ''the best thing scince sliced underwear''

yeah.

Never stopped to think about it, but it makes sense for new viewers who don't realize (and rightly so) it's nothing more than a joke.

and its pretty easy to see as a joke. xD

-Jim Hensen

I think the sort of individual who is going to raise a brow and take this the wrong way isn't going to care for the humour and structure of an LTT video, anyway.

I think the sort of individual who is going to raise a brow and take this the wrong way isn't going to care for the humour and structure of an LTT video, anyway.

eggsactually.

-Jim Hensen

and its pretty easy to see as a joke. xD

Easy to say when a regular viewer sees it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

But he kind of coined the phrase.. (He's the first one I heard saying that..)

It does fit him

-noscope GIF-

See the binary in his sig

just read my sig and translate the binary line. xD 

what?!?!?! 

its true. :P

and yes. i have PM'd him asking for a shirtless build log. and yes, unfourtunately he said no. xD (BUT WITH A WINKY FACE)

Of course you would want a shirtless video... But you would be on the wrong site for that stuff 

Joke-Goes-Over-Your-Head-Star-Trek-Gif.g

We try to preach the best way to do things so that people know how to do them the right way.

Then when we need to get stuff done quickly and cheaply we cut corners and do things the ghetto way... which is a lot more fun! but not proper...

I'd say this thread is probably a bit much of an over reaction... kinda thinking people are looking way too far into this

But he kind of coined the phrase.. (He's the first one I heard saying that..)

Heheh dude that phrase has been around since before Linus was even born ;)

It's just a joke. A play on the recent things like the motherboard painting,

the whole room water cooling loop. Mineral oil computer, and the older 

amd/nvidia crossover monstrosity :P, sometimes they do extreme 

things most of us don't have the resources or opportunity to do, so that

we don't have to. Or we get a shortcut through the experimental phase.

Or just ghetto solutions, which isn't necessarily bad but not the proper

way to do it either.

I thought it was funny, it could be bad but i don't think you should read 

too much into it. If i were a new viewer i would think humor and unusual 

things before ever thinking about iffy credibility. 

Ah, slick has already replied.

I like it it has humour or not? better than all those normal slogans. 

AND if they keep changing the slogans sometimes like the one "Only X accidents since 2014" I REALLY find it hilarious and good :)