Dropbox "Bonus" Free Storage Ending

Jaybird

Whether or not some of you who do use free version of Dropbox may have known that Dropbox has provided promotional ways to test their service by allow you to gain extra free space for trying out the beta. A few years ago Dropbox introduced Space Race. It involved your school participation. During this promotion I received 15GB of free storage. The Space Race promotional period expires on March 4, 2015, at which point your Dropbox limit will automatically return to your original amount you have gathered; this will reset my account back to the free 9GB I have gathered from signing up friends. It does not sound like Dropbox will remove your data but according to the message you will not be able to add any new data as a result of you using more than you have space for. They are also providing 50% off when you upgrade but you must do this before March 4. 

RL5Vt43.png

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

yes the title is a bit misleading. I thought my Dropbox account was going to be shutdown because I've never paid.

but it seems to only relate to their promotional "free space"

SPAAAAAACE!!!

that title scared me for a sec

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Title is misleading.

Should say "Dropbox Temporary Bonus Storage Ending".

Personally, I switched to google drive awhile ago.  Gets the job done and is slightly better for using to transfer files between home and school.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Jay, the title is a real sensationalist headline, and is frankly misleading... I haven't gotten any notice about my free storage upgrades being lost, but they're little things: https://www.dropbox.com/getspace

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

haha this is the kind of title id put. Anyways how did dropbox get so big, mediafire and mega give you 50gb for free.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

haha this is the kind of title id put. Anyways how did dropbox get so big, mediafire and mega give you 50gb for free.

It wasn't first to the market, but it was one of the firsts.

Mega was released a while after. I use mega more than my Gdrive or Dropbox.

Actually, I only use dropbox to get really old files I still have up there.. I haven't added a file for years lol.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

It wasn't until today that i realised that i already have 8 GB Dropbox storage.

Spoiler alert: Activating camera upload on android gives you 3 GB Dropbox storage.

Anyways, I'll have to get rid of ~ 3GB of storage. When is the next space race? :D

who cares...

If you buy Samsung or HTC with preinstalled DB app you will get about 40GB free (not sure for how long, i suppose 2 years?)

No really sure about the space, because I now have 50GB, si It's 40-48GB for that app :P

EDIT// Just checked It's 48GB "Samsung + Dropbox"

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Pfft. Just use MEGA. Kim Dtcom will give you 50GB free storage with encrypted call service...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I'm going from 29,8 GB to 5 GB! Fuuu Dropbox.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

My HTC 25GB promo ended and they urged me to upgrade to the 1TB plan for 9.99 EUR/month. At those prices, you may as well buy a WD MyCloud. (running 12TB of personal cloud storage myself now)

• 2 months later...

You keep your data. My DropBox promo for HTC ended in 2014. Which was a cool 50GB. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

OneDrive master race. 230GB for free.

OneDrive has some serious flaws though.

1) Microsoft has very privacy intrusive scans in place. Dropbox probably has that too but I like to go with the "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy so for now, they are a tiny bit better than Microsoft.

2) The URLs you get are stupid. With Dropbox I can start uploading a big file, say "hey, download this link in an hour when it's finished uploading". With OneDrive I have to wait for the full upload to finish before I can get the link. That's just stupid.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/<userID>/<filename>

is a much better URL scheme in terms of being predictable.

3) When I upload and link an image the link goes to the image with their annoying UI. Don't get me wrong, all the info the UI provides is very handy for things like photos, but for most images I link I just want to show the full image. With OneDrive you have to load the smaller and more compressed image (can't even right click to save it, you have to use their button), then press "View Original".

Even with all those drawbacks, I will probably still change to OneDrive for my bulk storage when my Dropbox space runs out. I won't pay for Dropbox when Microsoft are kindly giving me over 100GB for free.

since i started using office 356 i dont use dropbox or googledrive

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017