Bill Gates Insists AI Is A Threat

Opcode

Source

During an "ask me anything" question and answer session on Reddit, Mr Gates wrote: "I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence. First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well.

"A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don't understand why some people are not concerned."

_80659166_462343504.jpg

Of course he is. AI leads to one inevitable reality, AI that stops being "AI" and becomes real intelligence. That starts to think and act like we do (or maybe differently, it'll be intelligence after all) and it may or may not agree with how humans have been running things.

Everyone hopes for first contact scenarios to be friendly and hugs and kisses, that doesn't stop them from holding a rock in the other hand waiting for things to go wrong. 

AI will realise that we are harming the earth and will kill all of us, end

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Which is why there are already the 3 laws of robotics which honestly should be implemented, they were create a while back by a science fiction writer, but actually cover and mean quite a lot when looked at...

• A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

hahahahahha xD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AI??? yeah.. probably still 50 to 100 years away.... poor gates.. he think he's gonna live for 200 years xD

Jesus Christ why are people and news outlets so fucking sensationalist and overly dramatic about what he (and to an extent Elon Musk) said about AI?

I've seen headlines saying that Gates, etc think AI is a "threat" that he says we should "fear" it, that he is "freak out" by it, that he is "skeptical" of it, that it's a "threat to mankind", and that he is "afraid" of it. Every single one of those is made up nonsense.

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL TEXT, THE ONLY THINGS HE SAID ABOUT AI:

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence. First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don't understand why some people are not concerned. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2tzjp7/hi_reddit_im_bill_gates_and_im_back_for_my_third/co3r3g8

The only damned word he used to describe it was concerned. CON-FUCKING-CERNED.

Now stop clickbaiting and have good day damn it.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

why would an ai even if it fully intelligent commit anything we don't allow it. it will not have human traits. the way it acts will be completely different to that of a human.

hahahahahha xD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AI??? yeah.. probably still 50 to 100 years away.... poor gates.. he think he's gonna live for 200 years xD

We went from Apple 1s to Quantum computers in 39 years... It's well within the realm of possibility that we'll have super AI within 40 years (he's only 59), just look how far we've gotten with ASIMO in just 15 years.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

2017, Monsanto implements servers to monitor different types of stimulated growth, and uses an AI with a complex algorithm to determine the correct amount of substances for the next generation pesticide. AI, without morals and common sense, does not increase substances that could intoxicate people, as the max safe values are already hard coded, however a experimental solution is available to add to the mix, stimulating the growth even faster, without negative results found; yet. During the next distribution the released product is used, as a result it's released into several km2. While the harvest was fine, the land unexpectedly propagated the chemicals with the rains and spread entire villages, that on certain people did in fact produced extremely harmful effects that lead to everything, even cancer.

See how even a simple automated AI can fuck up things entirely? Even a greedy scientist can hold himself and test products enough, to avoid getting fired from the company if the fault lays on him after people founding out.

Also, did I said 2017? Because I think this already happened on 2007. If any each year there are more supercomputers running complex algorithms and AI's informing decisions and results. Gates, as well as Musk are not talking about your microwave growing legs and stabbing you with a fork, running away in rebellion afterwards.

Let me remind you it was an AI that identified the Ebola problem last year before it even started, the information spread fast between universities and governments got to work, they said they didn't even knew that algorithm was being run.  This info was even posted in the forums http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/196997-algorithm-detected-the-ebola-outbreak-before-humans-could/

Honestly, a pretty big consequence done by a reckless AI could be a couple years away. What if the AI chooses not to report that 20.000 could die by defect in food, and chooses to use the resources in something more important, like saving 20 billion dollars on the next manufacturing upgrade. These big entrepreneurs could even be trying to save their asses from a overlooked AI that is already running and analysing data.

Which is why there are already the 3 laws of robotics which honestly should be implemented, they were create a while back by a science fiction writer, but actually cover and mean quite a lot when looked at...

• A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

You should watch this film called I, Robot.   ;) 

We went from Apple 1s to Quantum computers in 39 years... It's well within the realm of possibility that we'll have super AI within 40 years (he's only 59), just look how far we've gotten with ASIMO in just 15 years.

sure brah, we dont even know how our brains are working.. and we're gonna make ai... sure :lol:  it's totaly possible... just by your first apple... you lost me there.. xD apple.. hahahhah xD you compare that to technology :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sure brah, we dont even know how our brains are working.. and we're gonna make ai... sure :lol:  it's totaly possible... just by your first apple... you lost me there.. xD apple.. hahahhah xD you compare that to technology :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's depressing this forum has been reduced to members who makes posts like this... No wonder I don't frequent this place as much as I use to.

Now go ahead and quote me and say no one cares about this post and make some cool new joke that the kids are saying these days.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I don't think we'll ever know how our brains work because we don't really have a starting point... We don't really need to know how our brain works to make AI. And the Apple I was pretty revolutionary for the time.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Probably from personal experience.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Troll located.

engage attack. *bzzzzzt"

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

The kind of AI that bill gates fears is self/environmentally aware AI. 99% of human beings that have a functioning intelligence are also steered by emotion, attachment, conscience, inhibition, fear, love remorse etc... that trigger physical reactions and change what we say or do.

An ai would presumably have none of those things as we know them if it was self aware, capable of making choices and acting on them, and would have the rationality of a brain damaged schizophrenic omnipotent psychopath. Unless an ai faced consequences for inappropriate actions (like a form of discipline/correction), the ai would be unfit for any decision making. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So.... He's afraid of an AI that could be programmed with the 4 laws? Yeah, he's not thinking of everything.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well there is a chance of AI not doing what they were programed to do which could cause them to be rogue even become skynet.

This is exactly what these people fear. 

Even as i posted ealier the laws of robotics all come down to how you define the term "harm"

Is it harming a human to replace their body with a stronger, faster, smarter, and longer lasting metal one? Or would a machine simply view it as an upgrade, much like we upgrade computer parts. The fear is that we DONT know how a true AI would respond, whether we'd end up like the Quarians from Mass Effect, or live in a golden age of art and philosophy because we have robots to take care of all the menial parts of life. No one knows, and no can know, all we can do is guess. It's that guessing that leads people to fear, and it's the fear that causes us to slow down progression of certain aspects. Fear cannot be what defines us.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Source

-snip-

He must of watched Terminator and the Matrix.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Even Bill Gates didn't pay attention. It's too late already, Skynet already became self-aware on August 29th, 1997. You just don't know it because you're connected to machines rendering a virtual world for you.

I too was fooled, but eventually noticed it because my world was rendered with a GTX 970 and the memory ran out when I wanted to make a trip.

Even Bill Gates didn't pay attention. It's too late already, Skynet already became self-aware on August 29th, 1997. You just don't know it because you're connected to machines rendering a virtual world for you.

I too was fooled, but eventually noticed it because my world was rendered with a GTX 970 and the memory ran out when I wanted to make a trip.

So that's why we have traffic jams at peak hour, the last 500MB of vRAM is in use :P

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

a robot will re-classify itself other than "robot". AI FTW!  :D

seriously though, i'm a forward thinking guy, non-status quo, non-orthodox, etc and all that $h!t, but AI is something i will think twice..