Microsoft wants to charge your phone, WITH LASERS!

Original Article from WinBeta.org;

Wireless charging, though a sexy sounding solution, faces a number of hurdles which have, as yet, to be overcome. Firstly, the wireless transmission of power is potentially quite dangerous to humans, so much so that the US military has weaponized the concept with ZEUS-HLONS. Secondly, it is notoriously difficult to direct power when transmitting it wirelessly, as such the process is enormously inefficient when taking place over anything more than a few centimeters. Most wireless chargers follow this trend, meaning that the true potential benefits of the platform are yet to be seen.

Enter Microsoft:

Apparently Microsoft Research (out of China) has invented a way to charge your phone anywhere in a room without cables or charging pads.

Instead they have a device that detects your device using a (built in, I assume) kinect, locks on, and sends a beam of focused infrared light onto your device.

system.jpg

But how does the device get charged?

This method does not follow the traditional means of transmitting power wirelessly, instead it relies on the receiving device being fitted with a photo-voltaic panel.

To me, It seems like the largest hurdle to overcome is getting device manufacturers to start incorporating photo-voltaic cells into their devices. 

The final thing you may ask yourself is how does the device tell the charger that the battery is done charging or other possibly relevant information such as if the laser is actually cooking the phone and needs to be turned off?

Microsoft Researches idea is to use a blinking LED to relay the info, although, I could see Bluetooth or WiFi as being being equally effective. 

workflow.jpg

This whole idea may in itself sound crazy, but then I read this:

Depending on the equipment used, it is theorized that using this method could be at least as quick as charging via a wall socket, meaning that we might be able to live the dream of a cable-less existence within a number of years.

And if that doesn't get you excited for this new technology, I don't know what will, although after I calmed down I started to be a little skeptical as I find it hard to believe it could ever be as efficient as wall chargers. But hey we can still hope.

Thoughts: I think that this concept is a fantastic Idea but I would like to see more testing go into this technology to ensure its effectiveness and safety. I don't think this will be widely adopted into homes anytime soon, where I can see this tech shine is in the business sector where people bring their phones (which may have business information on them thus being used a lot throughout the day leading to a low battery) to meetings. You could install this into a meeting room and be able to keep all your employees devices charged while saving wall outlet space for laptops and old tech that doesn't use this method of charging. To resolve the conflict of multiple devices in a room I am sure Microsoft could implement a model or prototype with multiple lasers. Perhaps the biggest hindrance to this is the fact that in order for this to become widespread, you have to have an install base of companies incorporating photo-voltaic cells into their devices, and consumers/businesses purchasing those devices. If Microsoft can accomplish that, this technology may be widespread very soon. 

Source:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/future-becomes-little-cooler-microsoft-research-wants-charge-your-phone-lasers

I always say yes to lasers. 

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Sounds cool but extremely impractical. Just like light sabers.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Sir, are you arguing against lasers?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

Sir, are you arguing against lasers?

I'd prefer a laser pistol to a glorified stick.

My motto when it comes to laser swords is :"It's the future, get a gun. You idiots"

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

My motto when it comes to laser swords is :"It's the future, get a gun. You idiots"

This is entirely acceptable as everyone knows you need to be able to predict the future for a laser sword to be effective. For a moment I thought you where some sort of anti laser heathen, my apologizes.

This is really interesting. My next phone is def going to be a MS phone to try this out.

So it takes a picture of your room and then analyzes that picture to look for a smartphone ?

Basically you'll be photographed all day long and you just have to hope that nobody hacked your laser camera or that it doesn't send the pics directly to Microsoft's servers and on to the NSA.

I'll use a cable.

Lightsabers aren't impractical, they would be awesome

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Firstly, the wireless transmission of power is potentially quite dangerous to humans, so much so that the US military has weaponized the concept with ZEUS-HLONS. 

Comparing wireless charging your phone to a device that takes up nearly all of the interior space of a HMMWV is dumb... good thing they threw in "potentially". I mean I could potentially say lazer pointers could potentially be quite dangerous to humans if you make them a thousand times larger. Also, side note, an ant is potentially quite dangerous if 1000 times larger.

Secondly, it is notoriously difficult to direct power when transmitting it wirelessly, as such the process is enormously inefficient when taking place over anything more than a few centimeters. 

I have a hard time understanding this... we can very easily shoot several watts of power 30 miles between two 6 foot diameter microwave dishes, how is this more difficult? Yes, it is inefficient, but its more than do-able and you already have a starting point... just work on the efficiency. 

All wireless data is simply power with data modulated into it.

I'm sure there is something stopping it from being easy, but I really don't think this is the reason. RFID tags are charged by random RF in the air...

Comparing wireless charging your phone to a device that takes up nearly all of the interior space of a HMMWV is dumb... good thing they threw in "potentially". I mean I could potentially say lazer pointers could potentially be quite dangerous to humans if you make them a thousand times larger. Also, side note, an ant is potentially quite dangerous if 1000 times larger.

I have a hard time understanding this... we can very easily shoot several watts of power 30 miles between two 6 foot diameter microwave dishes, how is this more difficult? Yes, it is inefficient, but its more than do-able and you already have a starting point... just work on the efficiency. 

All wireless data is simply power with data modulated into it.

I'm sure there is something stopping it from being easy, but I really don't think this is the reason. RFID tags are charged by random RF in the air...

I agree with you, I personally don't agree with this 100% but I do know of Military weaponry that is similar ( Directed Energy Weapons). I put that paragraph into this thread/post/whatever to lead into the story. Anyway those views and any of WinBeta are not necessarily tangent to my own, just getting that out there.  :)

I do as well.

Waiting for the day when we can replace the leads on a motherboard and cables on a PC with lazers/fiber optic cables.

Because reasons.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I do as well.

Waiting for the day when we can replace the leads on a motherboard and cables on a PC with lazers/fiber optic cables.

Because reasons.

Fiber optics won't help you in that matter because light doesn't carry enough energy to do shit for your system. You'd end up starting fusion if it did.

Fiber optics won't help you in that matter because light doesn't carry enough energy to do shit for your system. You'd end up starting fusion if it did.

Not for power, for data.

And if you mean that as well.....well then fuck

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

We wouldn't want our PCs going radioactive now would we. On topic; I wonder if there could be any safety concerns with this tech. I doubt it as they would have some safety features to prevent anyone from accidentally having laser eye surgery at work. I still think this is safer than the induction charging.

This is quite an old idea, Lazar transmission and microwave transmission has been thought over before, like wireless electricity was originally invented by Mr Tesla, so was nothing new, but like wireless charging (which is more efficient than this) the loss of energy is too great.

In the next year or so in the EU there will be a bill passed to stop companies selling inefficient chargers, especially ones that don't turn off when a device is not connected, some wireless charges are only 40% efficient! I cant even imagine how bad this will be, because you lose in the generation of the beam as well as the collector?,  though its a cool implementation, love "frickin lasers" its never going to be a mainstream idea...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

LASUR PLS. Haha. MOAR LASURS PLS. On a serious note, is that harmful side can be avoided other than not using the technology at all?

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

You fall asleep at your desk, next to your smartphone, one night. You wake up in the morning with half your brain supercharged!

A moto to live life by :P

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

Lasers make everything better.

Yayyy to LAZERZ! And Yayy to RADIATIONZ!

oh hi cancer didnt see you coming... make yourself at home

interesting idea, but if you want to walk around WITH your phone whil its being charged because you cant stand it if its laying on your desk because its chraged via a wire, arnt you highly phone-addicted then?

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

FYI, Star Wars isn't set in the future. :P

Yayyy to LAZERZ! And Yayy to RADIATIONZ!

oh hi cancer didnt see you coming... make yourself at home

interesting idea, but if you want to walk around WITH your phone whil its being charged because you cant stand it if its laying on your desk because its chraged via a wire, arnt you highly phone-addicted then?

I dont believe they were using it as a charge while you are walking around type system. Just a set it somewhere and it does it without intervention. 

as if it was hard to plug in a cable, well USB, nah type C is coming lol. It just seems a little more lazy but it makes some sense to me.  I am not defending the practicality, I just thought it was a cool news story lol  :)