Microsoft wants to charge your phone, WITH LASERS!

If I get cancer while using this I'm telling all scientifically-illiterate overprotective moms out there that this causes cancer. I may make a post on webMD about it. Or a picture on pinterest.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I do as well.

Waiting for the day when we can replace the leads on a motherboard and cables on a PC with lazers/fiber optic cables.

Because reasons.

If we did that, them computers could be much more efficient, because not only would they think at the speed of light, but using polarized light, they could use trinary instead of binary. Much good graphics.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Yayyy to LAZERZ! And Yayy to RADIATIONZ!

oh hi cancer didnt see you coming... make yourself at home

interesting idea, but if you want to walk around WITH your phone whil its being charged because you cant stand it if its laying on your desk because its chraged via a wire, arnt you highly phone-addicted then?

You do realize that LASER just means all the light emitted is of the same  frequency, coherent (waves are in phase with eachoter) and  polarized?

Your risk of cancer is about the same as standing out in the sun or under a light bulb. Now this is assuming that the power output of the laser isn't something crazy that burns through objects, ala:

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Glorified solar charger (solar panels work off any source of light).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You do realize that LASER just means all the light emitted is of the same  frequency, coherent (waves are in phase with eachoter) and  polarized?

Your risk of cancer is about the same as standing out in the sun or under a light bulb. Now this is assuming that the power output of the laser isn't something crazy that burns through objects, ala:

-snipping stuff i'd like to have at home-

Come on is it THAT hard for u guys to recognize a bad/ironic joke? My actual concern is in the last line of the post. I simply cannot see an application area where this 'd make sense. Use a cable, goddammit. Or get some reasonable sized batterys in ur devices.

But ill hol back my final (serious) judgement until this technology is actually usable for consumers.

Another thing: if the light  of the lasers is not seeable for the human eye its either ultraviolet or infrared. but we want to charge a battery with it which means infrared is not very likely to be used if the charging module does not contain a steam-engine to create power. so u'd use ultraviolet because it contains a significantly higher load of energy per emitted/absorbed quantum of light. that means were talking about a laserlight with a short wavelength which carries realatively big ammounts of energy and has got a high frequency. albeit it might not directly damage the human body the dosis is what makes the poison here, as always. u know that you shuld, if possible, only be x-rayed a certain ammount of times per year? its the same thing after all ;)

-just sain'

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

Come on is it THAT hard for u guys to recognize a bad/ironic joke? My actual concern is in the last line of the post. I simply cannot see an application area where this 'd make sense. Use a cable, goddammit. Or get some reasonable sized batterys in ur devices.

But ill hol back my final (serious) judgement until this technology is actually usable for consumers.

Another thing: if the light  of the lasers is not seeable for the human eye its either ultraviolet or infrared. but we want to charge a battery with it which means infrared is not very likely to be used if the charging module does not contain a steam-engine to create power. so u'd use ultraviolet because it contains a significantly higher load of energy per emitted/absorbed quantum of light. that means were talking about a laserlight with a short wavelength which carries realatively big ammounts of energy and has got a high frequency. albeit it might not directly damage the human body the dosis is what makes the poison here, as always. u know that you shuld, if possible, only be x-rayed a certain ammount of times per year? its the same thing after all ;)

-just sain'

We receive infared light from the sun all the time. I have security cameras that use infared LEDs to light up the viewing area. Flying on an airplane exposes you to 30X the background radiation on the ground, but people don't quit flying. also if the beam was interrupted by a person wouldn't it shut off? What about tanning beds or just being in the sun? you receive IR light from both of them, in fact almost every lightbulb emits some IR light. A laser is just focused light, you would be more likely to burn yourself which would be unlikely with this system than to give yourself cancer.  It is not like this will be constantly on spamming IR light everywhere. IR Light is not very dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm like 50% sure that photo voltaic cells are not the solution to wireless charging. I'm also about 50% sure that photo voltaic cells are very similar to solar panels, which means, last time I checked, they are extremely inneficient in regards to the amount of power absorbed compared to the amount of power sent to the panel: 10 watts sent vs 2 watts absorbed for example.

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

Everything should be done with lasers

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii