GTX 970 apparently can't use 4 gigs of VRAM?

deathjester

Why you be trollin ? If you need a workstation GPU then don't buy a gaming GPU LOL. I have ran Adobe Photoshop stc lots with AMD Radeon and it worked perfectly.

Not trolling at all. I had legitimate issues with PS and Premier Pro combined with their drivers in January last year. I've even mentioned my issues couple of times on LTT forums.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Not trolling at all. I had legitimate issues with PS and Premier Pro combined with their drivers in January last year. I've even mentioned my issues couple of times on LTT forums.

That's because Gaming GPUs drivers are NOT made for that work.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

That's because Gaming GPUs drivers are NOT made for that work.

You can work in PS with Intel's integrated graphics and their drivers without an issue, yet you can't with AMD's "gaming" drivers?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Hopefully it can be fixed with drivers, but if not, I'll lose some faith in nVidia.

Hopefully it can be fixed with drivers, but if not, I'll lose some faith in nVidia.

I've lost it already.

I'm now waiting for R9 3xx series, HBM, HSA 4096 bit bus, huh that will be some fuuucking awesome

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Was a good decision to buy a 980  :lol:

Two for me man!

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

This was debunked, benching tool used supposedly broken.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Also people complaining that their VRAM usage wasn't at 100% when playing games in 1080p....1080p

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

inb4 AMD boasts about it's 512-bit memory bus again

I'm still hoping that they're actually going to drop 16GB consumer GDDR5 HBM cards..

4320p GigaHD+ here we come.

AMD is that kind of company that makes new things and tests it out. They might have not had the best results in the CPU market, as far as raw performance goes, but in the iGPU market they really destroy Intel.

Now, their GPUs are good...I personally don't care if they don't have the best card on the market because i'm not rich to afford a Three-Way-Crossfire or something...so i really enojoy the low prices for the performance i get.

I really was impressed by the R9 270 I know have...i planned to get it as an intermediate, which would be then moved into the other PC which has a dying HD5670. 

For 1440x900 res that i'm currently having on my monitor it's doing great...These days though, i hooked it to my fullHD TV, and I am speechless...at 1080p this thing can max out most games I play, even poorly optimized games(Skyrim, WoT) with my 8350(which is known as not the best gaming CPU).

It really surprised me. I underestimated the R9 270 way too much, which is why i'm going too keep it until R9 3xxs hit the market.

GTX 960 is dissappointing, to say the least. At least that's why i think.

It's pretty stupid what nVidia did with the 970, but all things considered, there are not an awful lot of games right now which can take advantage of more vRAM. But I agree on the other hand, that, it almost negates that futureproofness many hoped when they bought their 970s. 

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

If i look at what happens on youtube video's i'd say it's the compression they use for memory. It works on the 980 but doesn't on the 970.

GTX980;
http://i.imgur.com/Ybggb9y.jpg

GTX970;
http://i.imgur.com/O3qrqba.jpg

How can it be broken for 1 card and not the other.

@TorqueS Bla bla, justification bla bla. 

I usually get good PSUs no matter the build, and to be honest, a decent 600W PSU(even 80+Bronze) can power an i5 or i7 and a single R9 290(X).

500W is the sweetspot, but 600W is not that much expensive, so the R9 290(X) is still a decent choice, especially with the price cuts that occured in the last few weeks.

If you're someone like me who likes a balance between quality and price for all parts  in a pc then I don't think power consumption the primary criteria by which you should compare cards .

On the other hand...it's true that this doesn't apply to everyone, since there are parts of the world where electicity is pretty expensive, so a lower unit should make sense.

It's not my case, that's why I'm not really worried about power, apart from having the PSU to power the other components.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

So is this a factory defect or what?

Not as excited about my 970 as I was before this topic came out :(

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hmmm if they recall, I might just save the refund for the 390X

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

and not one reviewer or review site catched this with so much reviews and testing and benching....wow

makes me wonder 

maybe a good time to learn a lesson first test the basics, heat power draw VRAM USAGE...etc

then the good "stuff" like games... rushed card and rushed reviews 

mine is going back end of story just waiting for confirmation its really a hardware "glitch"

Literally just got my 970 two days ago...

Should i get a refund from amazom? I think they would be easier then gigabyte

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So it's likely they knew all along that this was going to happen, but because no one puts 3.5G of ram on anything (it has to be either 4 or 3)the difference is just the difference.  It's like putting 16G into a gaming machine then crying there must be something wrong because it's not using the full 16G. 

but .5 GB is a huge difference and its consistent on all cards

this is probably not a huge deal just treat 970 cards as a 3.5GB card for now

Yeah...but if you bought a 4GBs card...and also paid pretty much for it you'd expect to be good and without bugs or other flaws.

Now i also think it's absurd to send the 970s back just because this bug's been found...i mean..if it's not disturbing your gaming, then why the heck???

I think the problem would be noticeable if you ran SLI at 4k or 5k, where you need a bunch of vRAM../

Spoiler

inb4 amd users justifying their r9 290/x purchase.

What is there to justify? They are good cards.