GTX 970 apparently can't use 4 gigs of VRAM?

deathjester

why bother? i will you tell why bother, if we keep closing our eyes, this will always happen or even worst.

games bugged as hell.  the saga goes on

840 evo olda data goes slow

970  vram and bandwith does not work as it should

should i go on?

No,

These companies are all fighting each other for market share, it is complex technology that requires massive R+D, they are all producing product which by it's very nature will become obsolete, which means they have to ensure that the consumer is so happy with their last purchase they buy the same brand again. There is little room for mistakes, they cost millions in this game.   There is no complacency here, it is either simply due to market condition or honest error.

I can guarantee you that AMD didn't want the 290 to be so loud or throttle on release,  neither did Samsung want the evo to have issues and Nvidia didn't want their to be issues with the 970 much less have heating issues with 480. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Can anybody read the pink writing in the corner?  how do we know the ram is the cause of this issue and not the fact that it is simply maxing out the cards processing power?

Do you want me to do some testing with 970 SLI?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Do you want me to do some testing with 970 SLI?

If you want,  I doubt you will get results that will differ from all the other performance reviews that have ever been done.  I really only want to know if this is a legitimate example of anything or just some random moron capitalising to get views.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you want,  I doubt you will get results that will differ from all the other performance reviews that have ever been done.  I really only want to know if this is a legitimate example of anything or just some random moron capitalising to get views.

Will PM you, one min

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Can anybody read the pink writing in the corner?  how do we know the ram is the cause of this issue and not the fact that it is simply maxing out the cards processing power?

If you open the video in youtube and select 720p the numbers are readable in fullscreen. Fps is the same in both takes.

I think the author just set different texture sizes.

Just recently got my GTX 970.... Talked to Newegg about exchanging my card (im still within the return policy) via their chat and the rep told me that I could only exchange the card for another GTX 970. I told the rep about the story that broke out in regards to the possible recall on the GTX 970 and linked him several articles from sites like PCPER.COM. The rep said he would escalate my case to their help-desk and they would contact me in 3-7 days. So at this point I'm kinda unsure what to do. I'm not having any issues with my 970 however I don't like being lied too and when more games start using more VRAM I want to able to use all of the 4 Gigs of VRAM effectively.

Just recently got my GTX 970.... Talked to Newegg about exchanging my card (im still within the return policy) via their chat and the rep told me that I could only exchange the card for another GTX 970. I told the rep about the story that broke out in regards to the possible recall on the GTX 970 and linked him several articles from sites like PCPER.COM. The rep said he would escalate my case to their help-desk and they would contact me in 3-7 days. So at this point I'm kinda unsure what to do. I'm not having any issues with my 970 however I don't like being lied too and when more games start using more VRAM I want to able to use all of the 4 Gigs of VRAM effectively.

I did the same thing, I'll just get a 980 instead

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Guys Techreport has updated the issue with response from Nvidia:

Here: http://techreport.com/news/27721/nvidia-admits-explains-geforce-gtx-970-memory-allocation-issue

Techreport's venture onto the issue: http://techreport.com/blog/27143/here-another-reason-the-geforce-gtx-970-is-slower-than-the-gtx-980

Have a read.

Interesting comment on the news: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html

On ocnet forum there is explanation:

From the Nai's Benchmark, assuming if the allocation is caused by disabled of SMM units, and different bandwidth for each different gpus once Nai's Benchmark memory allocation reaches 2816MiBytes to 3500MiBytes range, I can only assume this is caused by the way SMM units being disabled.

Allow me to elaborate my assumption. As we know, there are four raster engines for GTX 970 and GTX 980.
Each raster engine has four SMM units. GTX 980 has full SMM units for each raster engine, so there are 16 SMM units.

GTX970 is made by disabling 3 of SMM units. What nvidia refused to told us is which one of the raster engine has its SMM unit being disabled.
I found most reviewers simply modified the high level architecture overview of GTX 980 diagram by removing one SMM unit for each three raster engine with one raster engine has four SMM unit intact.

First scenario
What if the first (or the second, third, fourth) raster engine has its 3 SMM units disabled instead of evenly spread across four raster engine?

Second scenario
Or, first raster engine has two SMM units disabled and second raster engine has one SMM unit disabled?

Oh, please do notice the memory controller diagram for each of the raster engine too. >.< If we follow the first scenario, definitely, the raster engine will not be able to make fully use of the memory controller bandwidth

64bit memory controller, total 4 memory controllers = 256 bit memory controller.
Assuming if there are 3 raster engines with each three has one SMM disabled leaving 1 raster engine with 4 SMM intact.
Mathematically ;
16 SMM = 256 bit = 4096 Mb
13 SMM = 208 bit = 3328 Mb

208 bit = effective width after disabling SMM with 256 bit being actual memory controller width
Edited by Shahnewaz

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

This thread has gone awfully quiet..........

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

why bother? i will you tell why bother, if we keep closing our eyes, this will always happen or even worst.

games bugged as hell. the saga goes on

840 evo olda data goes slow

970 vram and bandwith does not work as it should

should i go on?

The vram and bandwidth works exactly how it should.........
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

The vram and bandwidth works exactly how it should.........

According to them, but not according to us or according to what they have advertised or described on the product information.

Edit: You know what? According to no one. Even Nvidia admitted the bandwidth is not what it advertised before.

Edited by Shahnewaz