Covering Windows 10 Briefing

cesrai

@cesrai The only thing from windows that let me down was the blue screen of death but after that smooth sailing for me.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

If you are not sure don't spread misinformation and go edit your other posts, here you go

You can rewatch it here

Thanks I'm gonna watch that!

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Might upgrade my 8.1 key to 10.  Not using that one anyway and no intention to use it anymore either. 

Still plan to keep 7 as long as possible. 

I have one concern. I bought windows 8. After upgrading my components and doing a clean install, it would no longer let me use my licence key. Therefore I downloaded a cracked version. (I had already paid in my mind and I don't consider a new motherboard a New Machine, even if Microsoft does) I also prefer to do clean installs. So my hope is I can go to the Microsoft windows 10 site, enter my paid for key, and download a full installer I can put on usb using my original licence key.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

I have one concern. I bought windows 8. After upgrading my components and doing a clean install, it would no longer let me use my licence key. Therefore I downloaded a cracked version. (I had already paid in my mind and I don't consider a new motherboard a New Machine, even if Microsoft does) I also prefer to do clean installs. So my hope is I can go to the Microsoft windows 10 site, enter my paid for key, and download a full installer I can put on usb using my original licence key.

Ya that could be an issue i always do clean install on new os and maybe the upgrade is only an upgrade and wont let you clean install...

I guess you could always clean install with windows 7 disc then upgrade before installing anything.

Do I get a free upgrade from the tech preview? I'm not thrilled at the thought of having to reinstall everything...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Jesus, really?

Screen-Shot-2015-01-21-at-9.16.09-AM-640

"Free upgrade for the first year" = For the first year you can upgrade for free = After the first year you'll have to pay to upgrade. Is this difficult to figure out?

From Arstechnica:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/?OCID=ANNOUNCEMENTS_SOC_TW_ORGANIC_UPGGRADEBLOG&linkId=11874845

"This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge."

If you get Windows 10 for free, you don't have to pay for it. End of story.

Why are you so cycnical about anything to do with Microsoft. Your entire subscription based thing is completely baseless and something you conjured up in your own mind yet you keep repeating it like its a thing. People on Windows 7 and 8.1 users will have 1 year to claim a free Windows 10 license. If they haven't done that within 1 year of Windows 10 release, they'll have to pay the standard price (probably $100).

I think Microsoft deserves every ounce of cynicism they get after all the crap they have tried to pull (ignoring feedback for Windows 8, the always online, region locking, no second hand DRM on the Xbone and so on).

You can't really blame me for saying that it appeared like it would end up being a subscription. I never repeated it like it was a thing. Here are my posts about it:

I am just sitting here waiting for them to announce that it will be subscription based.

Microsoft if you do that, you will have lost me as a very loyal customer.

It's not confirmed but it seems like it. They were very keen on calling Windows a service and online service earlier, and the "free for the first year" seems to indicate that it will be a subscription.

potentially a subscription fee to use Windows.

We don't know just yet. Judging by the way they talked you will probably end up paying a subscription fee for Windows and that it's free for the first year.

I really really really hope that's just me interesting things wrong, but all the talk about Windows being a service and things... It's not looking bright.

See how I make it clear that nothing has been confirmed in all of them and that it's just speculation on my part?

I am not cynical towards Microsoft specifically by the way. I don't have faith in any company. I base all my judgements on the companies track record. In the last few years Microsoft have tried to screw their customers (there is no way you can deny that their earliest Xbox One policies screwed customers over) so that's what I am expecting now too. When Microsoft have a few years with lots of good news and next to no bad news then I will start being less cynical towards them.

XBox Stream is exactly like Nvidia Shield in home streaming, but instead of your PC to your TV, it is your TV(XBox One gaming) to the the PC. So you are limited by the console specs.

The idea is the same as the WiiU. You can play the game on your TV or off (on the gamepad). In Microsoft XBox case, if someone wants to use the TV, say to watch a show, you can your XBox one controller, plug it on any PC running Windows 10, and continue to play

The TOS should be an interesting read and something everyone should read before trading in their licence.Nothing is free. Services, which MS has clarified this is, are not free.

Microsoft pumped this up as something PC Gamers would be interested in as far as gaming. 

1. Streaming is backward, MS: Hey buy this x86 computer that is worse than your x86 computer to stream to your X86 computer.

2. MS didn't even announce THIRD PARTY titles that they paid to delay or keep off PC, let alone first party titles. 

3. DX 12. MS selling a bunch of snake oil to potential Xbox One buyers even though Phil Spencer already said this.

"On the DX12 question, I was asked early on by people if DX12 is gonna dramatically change the graphics capabilities of Xbox One and I said it wouldn’t. I’m not trying to rain on anybody’s parade, but the CPU, GPU and memory that are on Xbox One don’t change when you go to DX12. DX12 makes it easier to do some of the things that Xbox One’s good at, which will be nice and you’ll see improvement in games that use DX12, but people ask me if it’s gonna be dramatic and I think I answered no at the time and I’ll say the same thing.”

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

snip

It's been confirmed, read the above post.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I think Microsoft deserves every ounce of cynicism they get after all the crap they have tried to pull (ignoring feedback for Windows 8, the always online, region locking, no second hand DRM on the Xbone and so on).

You can't really blame me for saying that it appeared like it would end up being a subscription. I never repeated it like it was a thing. Here are my posts about it:

See how I make it clear that nothing has been confirmed in all of them and that it's just speculation on my part?

I am not cynical towards Microsoft specifically by the way. I don't have faith in any company. I base all my judgements on the companies track record. In the last few years Microsoft have tried to screw their customers (there is no way you can deny that their earliest Xbox One policies screwed customers over) so that's what I am expecting now too. When Microsoft have a few years with lots of good news and next to no bad news then I will start being less cynical towards them.

they have been getting better since satya became ceo, since he was in charge microsoft hasn't pulled a bullshit move whatsoever, they improved a lot of their multiplatform programs, like office on android and ios and today showed a shit ton of new things that will come to windows, satya so far is proving that microsoft is heading to a different direction, at least on the general consumer space

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Your license key is valid. I think the problem is that you probably bought Windows 8 Upgrade, and now cleanly you installed. If you asked on the forum, or poke me, we could have shown you to fix this. Microsoft implemented the ability to clean install from upgrade in the case you change drive or something that requires a full re-install.

they have been getting better since satya became ceo, since he was in charge microsoft hasn't pulled a bullshit move whatsoever, they improved a lot of their multiplatform programs, like office on android and ios and today showed a shit ton of new things that will come to windows, satya so far is proving that microsoft is heading to a different direction, at least on the general consumer space

Yes. It was sad to hear that Ballmer was blocking the release of Office on iOS and Android. The thing was done, yet blocked for months (based on rumors).. basically Satya unblocked and let it release. Shame this was blocked, really. Time have changed and the old business models no longer works. It's nice to see Microsoft finally adapting.

You mean like requiring TPM 2.0 for any Win 8.1 PC?

Like I said, wait for the terms of service for both the upgrade and the OS before being excited. These are the same people who envisioned this.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-ones-top-marketer-brags-to-advertisers-about-kine-1441807229

And who did this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/07/microsoft-is-using-your-data-to-target-political-ads-on-xbox-live/ 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I wish Phil Spencer didn't have such a smug look on his face.

@cesrai best post ive ever seen on this forum :)

Im super hyped for windows 10, it all sounds amazing. Probably best windows OS ever made, but lets wait for full release.

One year free is not amazing but i like it. Will buy one after that (hopefully not a ridiculous pricetag).

The ogmented reality stuff is something im most stoked about :P

Also IE reborn?! :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Jesus, really?

"Free upgrade for the first year" = For the first year you can upgrade for free = After the first year you'll have to pay to upgrade. Is this difficult to figure out?

From Arstechnica:

Good, I hadn't seen that interview. We also have the Q&A now which clearly states "This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge."

I am still very worried about it though. I don't want Windows to be a "service" (which to me means a subscription service) and I don't like the idea that the question "what version are you running" will stop to make sense because that does indicate a subscription service.

In the current state you buy let's say Windows 10 and then you have that until you buy Windows 11 or 12. In order for the question to stop making sense they would need to give all users the latest version all the time. The only way that would make any financial sense would be a subscription service.

They won't do it with Windows 10, but they might with Windows 11.

Your license key is valid. I think the problem is that you probably bought Windows 8 Upgrade, and now cleanly you installed. If you asked on the forum, or poke me, we could have shown you to fix this. Microsoft implemented the ability to clean install from upgrade in the case you change drive or something that requires a full re-install.

Thanks for the offer, but tbh I'm happy with it is running the cracked version at the moment. Allows me to do a regular wipe every 6 months or so. I'm a photographer and I'm always filling up my SSD and HDDs with random files so I wipe regularly. Funnily enough I guess that it backs up Linus theory about pirating. I prefer to use a cracked version because it's simply easier and more convenient than following Microsofts own process.

I assume someone will release a full cracked version of windows 10 at some point. I am happy to pay for it once, but I think the licence should be tied to an account, not components.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Im super hyped for windows 10, it all sounds amazing. Probably best windows OS ever made, but lets wait for full release.

One year free is not amazing but i like it. Will buy one after that (hopefully not a ridiculous pricetag).

Also IE reborn???

Yeah I have to say I'm hyped as well, despite a lot of hate going around, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

It's not one year free, its one year to upgrade and its free for life for that device after. 

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

"This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge."

Also IE reborn?! :)

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the one year free thing.

People on Windows 7/8.1 will have one year from the release date to upgrade to Windows 10. If you do that, you will never have to pay any additional fees, you will have Windows 10 license forever. However, if you wait longer than 1 year, you will have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10. I hope that clears it up.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Yeah I have to say I'm hyped as well, despite a lot of hate going around, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

It's not one year free, its one year to upgrade and its free for life for that device after.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

Oh yea it says in screenshot that fre upgrade for free for one year. OP described it differently. Thats very generous of MS tbh :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Oh yea it says in screenshot that fre upgrade for free for one year. OP described it differently. Thats very generous of MS tbh :)

Yeah I was surprised, my grandfather (Whos been in IT for decades) was astonished and glad to hear about it being a free upgrade.

Good, I hadn't seen that interview. We also have the Q&A now which clearly states "This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge."

I am still very worried about it though. I don't want Windows to be a "service" (which to me means a subscription service) and I don't like the idea that the question "what version are you running" will stop to make sense because that does indicate a subscription service.

In the current state you buy let's say Windows 10 and then you have that until you buy Windows 11 or 12. In order for the question to stop making sense they would need to give all users the latest version all the time. The only way that would make any financial sense would be a subscription service.

They won't do it with Windows 10, but they might with Windows 11.

read second paragraph http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7866679/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users that what he meant with windows as a service, i'm sure they didn't mean it as a paid sub service type of deal, but as a service in the sense you can do everything with it on a pletora of different hardware

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the one year free thing.

People on Windows 7/8.1 will have one year from the release date to upgrade to Windows 10. If you do that, you will never have to pay any additional fees, you will have Windows 10 license forever. However, if you wait longer than 1 year, you will have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10. I hope that clears it up.

You can blame MS for that. They are always vague...

They also said Windows 10 will basically be updated forever, so how does MS pay for this... Bandwidth and this cloud integration is not free.

Will MS buy more third party games, we would have had anyways like Tombraider and try a GFWL 2.0 with a sub fee like Xbox Live? What caveats are in the TOS as far as privacy and personal information?

There is simply too much that is unknown for anyone to be excited yet. Until l have a TOS in front of me that I can read, I have literally no reason to be excited, and given MS's history as far as personal information, I have every right to be apprehensive.