Covering Windows 10 Briefing

cesrai

No. Windows 10 Upgrade is free. It is an offer from Microsoft that will last 1 year after its release. Microsoft stated clearly on its blog, its that the license is lifetime.

We won't know the exact details until Microsoft pushes out their upgrade terms.

Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost.

*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

You can upgrade to Windows 10 for free but there's still fine print to be had. Especially if its only a one time limited upgrade.

just thought i'd put this meme out there:

todayssummary_zpslrbdisjo.jpg

as soon as they announced the integration, this came to my mind immediately.

Aw this meme is actually kinda cute.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

We won't know the exact details until Microsoft pushes out their upgrade terms.

You can upgrade to Windows 10 for free but there's still fine print to be had. Especially if its only a one time limited upgrade.

Microsoft said:

We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

*Hardware and software requirements apply. No additional charge. Feature availability may vary by device. Some editions excluded

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

Which is exactly what I quoted. They still have terms and conditions to release for the upgrade. The first thing that their blog points out is that it is only a one time limited upgrade. So the first time your machine goes under due to a virus or something else. You'll need to purchase a license. Which in my eyes is just idiocy when you might be able to grab one for $15 at the launch of Windows 10. Six months after Windows 10 launch you will be looking at retail pricing which is $100 on OEM variants. My argument is buy it while it's cheap and don't rely on the free upgrade because as most of us here do, we reformat our machines frequently.

Which is exactly what I quoted. They still have terms and conditions to release for the upgrade. The first thing that their blog points out is that it is only a one time limited upgrade. So the first time your machine goes under due to a virus or something else. You'll need to purchase a license. Which in my eyes is just idiocy when you might be able to grab one for $15 at the launch of Windows 10. Six months after Windows 10 launch you will be looking at retail pricing which is $100 on OEM variants. My argument is buy it while it's cheap and don't rely on the free upgrade because as most of us here do, we reformat our machines frequently.

Image your system if that is the case. You can re-install Windows within Windows also. Windows 8 does that.

But I think what they mean is that you can only have 1 free upgrade per Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license. You can't go: Let me get Windows 10 here for my Windows 7 system, now let me install Windows 7 on another system, as I am not using it where it is, as it has 10 now. Oh look Windows 7! Let me get Windows 10 for that system as well, and move my copy of Windows 7 on ANOTHER system, and repeat the process again and again. Basically give you Windows 10 to all your computers with 1 license of Windows 7 (or 8.1)

Image your system if that is the case. You can re-install Windows within Windows also. Windows 8 does that.

But I think what they mean is that you can only have 1 free upgrade per Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license. You can't go: Let me get Windows 10 here for my Windows 7 system, now let me install Windows 7 on another system, as I am not using it where it is, as it has 10 now. Oh look Windows 7! Let me get Windows 10 for that system as well, and move my copy of Windows 7 on ANOTHER system, and repeat the process again and again. Basically give you Windows 10 to all your computers with 1 license of Windows 7 (or 8.1)

Yup. 

Its sad to see that people are still trying to obfuscate MSs intentions here and are making up their own conclusions based on no real facts at all. 

It's easy to validate licenses through Microsoft's management servers. If Microsoft decided to limit the upgrade process to one activation per license then you'll be out of luck with an inactivated Windows 10 post to the install process. Without the fine print we wont know exactly what they mean by a one time upgrade. You cant assume that Windows 7/8 licenses will automatically become effective Windows 10 licenses as they certainly don't work that way in the first place. Even if you can retain an unlimited number of upgrades after installing Windows 7/8 it may only be limited to within that year time frame. So as you can see there's a lot of different ways that this can go than just automatically obtaining Windows 10 without restriction for a lifetime. So far all we can assume is that you're eligible to upgrade to Windows 10 for free from a prior operating system. Tho availability to how many times during and after the gestation period has yet to be clarified. If your machine goes under a year and one day after this campaign it sounds logical that a retail license will need be purchased. Myerson even claimed that Windows 10 is thought of as a service.

It's easy to validate licenses through Microsoft's management servers. If Microsoft decided to limit the upgrade process to one activation per license then you'll be out of luck with an inactivated Windows 10 post to the install process. Without the fine print we wont know exactly what they mean by a one time upgrade. You cant assume that Windows 7/8 licenses will automatically become effective Windows 10 licenses as they certainly don't work that way in the first place. Even if you can retain an unlimited number of upgrades after installing Windows 7/8 it may only be limited to within that year time frame. So as you can see there's a lot of different ways that this can go than just automatically obtaining Windows 10 without restriction for a lifetime. So far all we can assume is that you're eligible to upgrade to Windows 10 for free from a prior operating system. Tho availability to how many times during and after the gestation period has yet to be clarified. If your machine goes under a year and one day after this campaign it sounds logical that a retail license will need be purchased. Myerson even claimed that Windows 10 is thought of as a service.

But you have the retail version, you have the right by contract of the license agreement to transfer you Windows 7 license. That is why they put that restriction note. Again, the intention are obvious. They want a high number of users on Windows 10 to attract developers to Windows 10 Universal Apps. This will bring massive revenue to Microsoft due to its App Store sell, it will give a massive boost to it's Windows Phone, and actually be a competitor. It says everywhere that the mass adaption of Windows 10, costing millions to Microsoft by giving it away free, will bring billions in the long run (maybe 2-3 years from release, possibly sooner as well). It is a strategic move, which I think anyone here, including yourself, would find silly, as a CEO of Microsoft, not to take.

Oh and lets not forget Bing. Cortana uses Bing. Bing gets better the more users it has. In addition, this brings users to Bing, which can lead to targeted ads, profiling of users interest (demoed at the presentation), and that leads, like Google, revenue from selling that information, and offer targeted ads. The ads won't be on Windows 10, but rather on free apps you use. So for example, if you decide to play some game on your windows Phone 10 or Windows 10 which has ads, you may see ads from Corsair, Gigabyte, ASUS and so on, as you used Bing/Cortana for it. Sure you can avoid it, much you can avoid Google. But seeing the popularity of Chrome, people tend to not mind, and you know what, if you had to pick between targeted ads or ads I just don't freaking care about, I'll pick targeted ads. For me, it knows that the type of person I am, hates these in you face ads and playing audio, so I won't get them, and I support the content creator.

Confirmed once again by Gabriel Aul from Microsoft, on Twitter.

Victor asks:

@GabeAul

Hello, i have read Win 10 it's free for one year for Win 7 ; 8 ; 8.1 user's but if I have a problem after 1 year I will have to pay

Gabriel Aul response:

@victordenancy No. Once upgraded to Windows 10, we will keep it up to date for the supported life of the device, for no additional charge.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-windows-10-free-lifetime-device-after-initial-upgrade-no-yearly-fee-upgraders

And as WinBeta mentions, which is something no one knows, and what I have been saying:

Now, that doesn't mean new customers won't have to pay for Windows 10. Right now, it only looks like Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users will get a free pass to Windows 10. New customers coming from other operating systems may have to pay for a license, or perhaps Microsoft is planning a subscription based module for Windows 10?

I think it will be both. You buy a computer, you have Windows 10 like right now, nothing change, or you get 3 years subscription which is the full life of Windows 10. As Microsoft doesn't plan for Windows 11, but rather Windows 10.999, it will probably be 3 years subscription free, then you need to pay per year a nominal fees to continue to upgrade your Windows 10 (say after 3 years it's at Windows 10.6, and you want 10.7, well you need to pay. If you buy it retail, you'll pay per year, much like how Office works.

That is MY ASSUMPTION. Only an assumption. It might be nothing like that. But it is a possible business model Microsoft can take, I believe. Note that I am not a business person.

Great... So DX12 will be exclusive to windows 10.... What if I don't want windows 10? What if I think it sucks? I just got from vista to 7 a few weeks ago and I'm still annoyed at some of win7's bullshit. (and just as I thought it's not faster or snappier than the vista, they are exactly THE SAME) I have to use a bunch of 3rd party tools and hacks to make it work for me. And now I will have to adjust myself to another windows if I want DX12 that is even more f**ked up? And this whole free thing smells fishy to me. Why are they so aggressive at forcing the new crappy windows on everybody, so aggressive that they are even giving it for free? I bet there are big evil bigbrother(ish) schemes behind it all.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

We are going to be so disappointed.

Update......What was wrong with Alt Tab in W7. Nothing so don't change it. Just make it look prettier.

Update......Gesture controls are stupid. Mouse and keyboard are masterrace.

Update......If I can get W10 for free from W7 which it looks like you will be able to I will probably upgrade. Depending on how sh*t 10 will be.

No one liked W8 start menu for a reason. It would be nice if you could customize everything so completely disable functionality you don't like.#

I wonder if they will talk about resolution scaling.

Cortana, I really don't see the point. However as a personal language translator that would be really cool.

I'm just wondering if you're serious about this post. If you are I can explain good things about all of your doubts.

So Xbox is hardware DRM for Windows now? Can I just buy a USB dongle instead ;P

Great... So DX12 will be exclusive to windows 10.... What if I don't want windows 10? What if I think it sucks? I just got from vista to 7 a few weeks ago and I'm still annoyed at some of win7's bullshit. (and just as I thought it's not faster or snappier than the vista, they are exactly THE SAME) I have to use a bunch of 3rd party tools and hacks to make it work for me. And now I will have to adjust myself to another windows if I want DX12 that is even more f**ked up? And this whole free thing smells fishy to me. Why are they so aggressive at forcing the new crappy windows on everybody, so aggressive that they are even giving it for free? I bet there are big evil bigbrother(ish) schemes behind it all.

I'm pretty sure it's difficult to give something away for free aggressively. That's like aggressively helping someone cross the road. Free is a good deed.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I don't really understand how the whole xbox one streaming thing works.  Is it streaming over your home network or is it just the ability to download and play xbox games on PC?

I don't really understand how the whole xbox one streaming thing works.  Is it streaming over your home network or is it just the ability to download and play xbox games on PC?

Home network.

The TOS should be an interesting read and something everyone should read before trading in their licence.Nothing is free. Services, which MS has clarified this is, are not free.

Microsoft pumped this up as something PC Gamers would be interested in as far as gaming. 

1. Streaming is backward, MS: Hey buy this x86 computer that is worse than your x86 computer to stream to your X86 computer.

2. MS didn't even announce THIRD PARTY titles that they paid to delay or keep off PC, let alone first party titles. 

3. DX 12. MS selling a bunch of snake oil to potential Xbox One buyers even though Phil Spencer already said this.

"On the DX12 question, I was asked early on by people if DX12 is gonna dramatically change the graphics capabilities of Xbox One and I said it wouldn’t. I’m not trying to rain on anybody’s parade, but the CPU, GPU and memory that are on Xbox One don’t change when you go to DX12. DX12 makes it easier to do some of the things that Xbox One’s good at, which will be nice and you’ll see improvement in games that use DX12, but people ask me if it’s gonna be dramatic and I think I answered no at the time and I’ll say the same thing.”

Not everyone has a great rig so stop it.

How said it's exclusive to win 10 ?? it's also available on win 8, it's a free upgrade within a year for nothing, forcing ???? they don't force anything don't want to use it fine stay with your old OS, the free thing isn't fishy at all they made it clear, your points aren't valid at all.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

They made it sound really strange. I was confused and so were a lot of people.

The OP is correct but you can interpret it in two different ways.

@cesrai you should probably reword the part about it being free. Something along the lines of "Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users if you update within 1 year from release. If you don't upgrade within a year you will have to buy it like normal". Or something along those lines.

I did that, you just have to press the tab and read probably, not directed at you but at people who can't read.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I swear I am going to break something if they pull some awful DRM that constantly calls home on us after having talked about trust and privacy.

Sounds like they will have a bunch of gesture controls... I don't want to "print with a flick" on my desktop. Not too sure if I want it on my phone either...

Edit:

Free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1!!!

If it's too good to be true, it's probably poison...

Thank you Microsoft!

This and the 3D API improvements are swaying back to Windows as my primary OS lately.

Now this so called 50% improvement in DX, does it also apply to updated professional suites like Solid Works? If it does later on, well I might jump ship sooner, and also move to Adobe CC for my work. Hmm

Things are looking exciting indeed. Now this might be a silly question, but has it been confirmed the GTX 9xx series will support DX12?

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Yes they already do.

Well now, seems I might be going to the green team again, unless AMD pulls out something amazing in the next few months on the so called 390X.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Well now, seems I might be going to the green team again, unless AMD pulls out something amazing in the next few months on the so called 390X.

To clarify something all GCN based AMD products support DirectX 12.

• HD 7000
  • HD 7000M
  • HD 8000
  • HD 8000M
  • R9 Series
  • R7 Series
  • A-Series APU's (Kaveri Or Later)

Whether or not they are compliant is another thing. Pirate Islands will be DirectX 12 compliant that's for sure.

To clarify something all GCN based AMD products support DirectX 12.

• HD 7000
  • HD 7000M
  • HD 8000
  • HD 8000M
  • R9 Series
  • R7 Series
  • A-Series APU's (Kaveri Or Later)

Nice, I hope that a GT 730 will support DX12.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I might switch to the Spartan web browser simply due to their note taking functionality, it looks fantastic, no more need to print screen stuff then upload it somewhere to show a specific element on a web page, no more need to send someone a link then tell them where they have to look in order to see what you want to show, the ability to do all of this while leaving every link on the page functional, is fantastic. I mean it really looks great, if extension support is decent i'm probably switching for sure.

I was hoping it would be possible to use Cortana to type Skype messages for example, while doing other things like playing a game.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I might switch to the Spartan web browser simply due to their note taking functionality, it looks fantastic, no more need to print screen stuff then upload it somewhere to show a specific element on a web page, no more need to send someone a link then tell them where they have to look in order to see what you want to show, the ability to do all of this while leaving every link on the page functional, is fantastic. I mean it really looks great, if extension support is decent i'm probably switching for sure.

I was hoping it would be possible to use Cortana to type Skype messages for example, while doing other things like playing a game.

Yeah I agree it's pretty helpful.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ