Covering Windows 10 Briefing

cesrai

I might switch to the Spartan web browser simply due to their note taking functionality, it looks fantastic, no more need to print screen stuff then upload it somewhere to show a specific element on a web page, no more need to send someone a link then tell them where they have to look in order to see what you want to show, the ability to do all of this while leaving every link on the page functional, is fantastic. I mean it really looks great, if extension support is decent i'm probably switching for sure.

I was hoping it would be possible to use Cortana to type Skype messages for example, while doing other things like playing a game.

Yes I agree. I always wanted that on my Surface Pro when taking notes. But I want add-on support.

Even if Spartan wont' be the fastest and still remain at IE11 level speeds, I can live, the advantages would outweigh its lack of performance, in my opinion.

I'm just wondering if you're serious about this post. If you are I can explain good things about all of your doubts.

Troll post.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Troll post.

Nice, should I ignore him or attack him ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nice, should I ignore him or attack him ?

It was my post.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It was my post.

Ohhh... I'm not going to attack you but don't troll.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ohhh... I'm not going to attack you but don't troll.

I was trying to make a point though it just never got across very well.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I was trying to make a point though it just never got across very well.

It's okay.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I might switch to the Spartan web browser simply due to their note taking functionality, it looks fantastic, no more need to print screen stuff then upload it somewhere to show a specific element on a web page, no more need to send someone a link then tell them where they have to look in order to see what you want to show, the ability to do all of this while leaving every link on the page functional, is fantastic. I mean it really looks great, if extension support is decent i'm probably switching for sure.

I was hoping it would be possible to use Cortana to type Skype messages for example, while doing other things like playing a game.

Spartan is suppose to be 1:1 compliant with Chrome extensions.

Awww shiieeeee

sesame_street.gif

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

These are baseless rumors. I have seen this rumor pass around. Please do not spread them.

If it comes a reality, amazing, but we don't know for sure.

It's okay.

We all have our moments.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

These are baseless rumors. I have seen this rumor pass around. Please do not spread them.

If it comes a reality, amazing, but we don't know for sure.

Can you explain what they meant ?? 1:1 chrome ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Who and where?

The post you responded to.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Oh. Well the rumor says that Project Spartan web browser will support all Chrome add-ons without any issue of any sort.

Oh. Well the rumor says that Project Spartan web browser will support all Chrome add-ons without any issue of any sort.

Can't imagine it happening.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Remember, Spartans just go MIA.

This is either going to be that legendary IE that is a decent choice; or it's shite and dies.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Can't imagine it happening.

it can run chrome extensions, they are built on chromium which google made it open source so any developer can build any type of program that can run chromium compiled code, what could cause incompatibility is a weird chrome specific api that the extension uses

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This free upgrade to Windows 10 isn't too clear.

During the first year when Windows 10 is available, it's a free upgrade and after that you must buy it.

1. What does that mean, does it mean I can only use it for 1 year, want to continue to use it, then I must buy it or is it forever free?

2. How does this uprade to Windows 10 process work. Is it through the Windows store just like users from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1?

3. Will I get a product key for Windows 10, if I got it for free, during the first year that was available?

4. If I do not get a Windows 10 product key. When I do a clean install, how am I suppose to reinstall Windows 10?

The reason I asked, if there will be a Windows 10 product key, for those that upgraded for free is. Let's say Windows 10 free upgrade has ended 1 year and 3 months ago. Your system is acting up, so you decided to format and reinstall. Now the only key you have is for Windows 8.1. So you install Windows 8.1. After that, how are you suppose to upgrade back to Windows 10? The key you have is only for Windows 8.1 not for Windows 10, but you got Windows 10 for free in the first  place. Does it mean you have lost that free upgrade and must now buy it, if you want to use Windows 10?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

During the first year when Windows 10 is available, it's a free upgrade and after that you must buy it.

1. What does that mean, does it mean I can only use it for 1 year, want to continue to use it, then I must buy it or is it forever free?

2. How does this uprade to Windows 10 process work. Is it through the Windows store just like users from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1?

3. Will I get a product key for Windows 10, if I got it for free, during the first year that was available?

4. If I do not get a Windows 10 product key. When I do a clean install, how am I suppose to reinstall Windows 10?

The reason I asked, if there will be a Windows 10 product key, for those that upgraded for free is. Let's say Windows 10 free upgrade has ended 1 year and 3 months ago. Your system is acting up, so you decided to format and reinstall. Now the only key you have is for Windows 8.1. So you install Windows 8.1. After that, how are you suppose to upgrade back to Windows 10? The key you have is only for Windows 8.1 not for Windows 10, but you got Windows 10 for free in the first  place. Does it mean you have lost that free upgrade and must now buy it, if you want to use Windows 10?

Microsoft clarified it a bit more on their website.

To answer question 1, when you have upgraded your Windows 7 or 8 install to Windows 10 it will stay Windows 10 forever. It will not be downgraded when that 1 year is over.

We don't know about 2 to 4 yet but my guess for number 2 is that it will be an option, or you can download an ISO if you want that.

3 and 4 might be answerable by someone who has upgraded their OS before (I've always done clean installs). Do you get a new serial or does your old serial just start working with the new OS?

If it's the former then we might run into issues with reformatting your computer when the 1 yer is over. That would really suck so hopefully they will just give you a Windows 10 key in exchange for your old key.

Windows 10 Upgrade is available for Windows 7 and 8.1 users, that is all it means. The offer last for 1 years from the date of release (which is unknown yet).

So if Windows 10 is released January 23rd 2015, for the sake of example, if you have Windows 7 or 8.1, you can get Windows 10 Upgrade for free until January 22rd 2016 at 11:59 Microsoft time.

We don't know. Probably on Microsoft website, you'll have a digital download of a setup program asking you if you want to use USB or DVD to put the ISO it is about to download, and also check your OS if it is eligible (genuine activated Windows 7 or 8.1))

While nothing is revealed, we should.

The reason I asked, if there will be a Windows 10 product key, for those that upgraded for free is. Let's say Windows 10 free upgrade has ended 1 year and 3 months ago. Your system is acting up, so you decided to format and reinstall. Now the only key you have is for Windows 8.1. So you install Windows 8.1. After that, how are you suppose to upgrade back to Windows 10? The key you have is only for Windows 8.1 not for Windows 10, but you got Windows 10 for free in the first place. Does it mean you have lost that free upgrade and must now buy it, if you want to use Windows 10?

While no detail is revealed, I am confident that you'll get a product key.

Assuming nothing changes from Windows 8 (which is the same as Windows 7), and you want to do a clean reinstall of the upgrade OS, You simply insert Windows 10 Disc/USB and install it like normal clean install, once installed, there is a registry value to change to say that you have an upgrade version of Windows and did a clean install, and now activation will work.

More precisely:

-> Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ in the registry, and set MediabootInstall to 0 instead of 1.

-> Then open the command prompt as true admin, and type: slmgr /rearm and hit Enter to execute it. This will refresh the activation process with the new info that you set in the registry, and now activate fine.

Basically, what you are doing is setting a flag in the registry that a previous Windows was detected at setup, and then refresh the activation system.

This was implemented in Windows 7 Upgrade. Before there was no such way.

No, it is not hacking the OS, you are following the license agreement, this was implemented on purpose. Like I said before you could not do this. It was a pain to clean install.

And Microsoft support gave these instruction if you called. I remember calling for Windows 7 upgrade which I got with a new HDD and wanted to clean install, and wanted to try Microsoft support for the first time, as I wanted to see how it was. Great experience, by the way.

-snip-
-snip-

I've encounted something like this before. A laptop has originally came with Vista, but the OS it was running was Win7 and it was a free upgrade. Format, reinstall, and I can only install Vista not Win7 because the key on the laptop is only for Vista. Luckly the company had send in the Win7 upgrade disc and I used that to upgrade back to Win7.

I bought Win8 and upgraded to 8.1, Now everytime, when I peform a clean install, I have to install 8 and then I can upgrade to 8.1. I cannot do a direct clean install of Win8.1 because my key is only for Win8. From Win8 to 8.1 you don't get a product key.

During a limited time, when MS gave out free Win8 pro media center pack. You have to register with a e-mail and you get a product key. If free upgrade to Win10 is like this, then it would be great.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

the new build has been released, it has a lot of the stuff they talked about on wednesday, including cortana and universal apps, what is mainly lacking is xbox to pc streaming and the project spartan browser, you can download now on the insider page or by build update if you have a machine that has 10 preview already

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/23/7878429/windows-10-technical-preview-january-download 

@cesrai you should update op with this

microsoft released build 9926 which contains a lot but not all of the new features talked during the consumer event, including cortana, universal apps and continuum for 2in1 devices, the isos can be downloaded here after signing up on the insider program https://insider.windows.com/, those already running the techincal preview can download the new build via windows update, just check within pc settings, its required that update KB 3025380 is instaled before updating, also the current build is missing the project spartan browser and the xbox to pc streaming feature those should become availible in future build updates

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/23/7878429/windows-10-technical-preview-january-download

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here