SSD CES news in one thread (will keep updating)

qwertywarrior

from http://www.thessdreview.com

the new Mushkin Hyperion M.2 SSD for example which, will not only reach just under 3GB/s and 350K IOPS but also, it can be had in capacities up to 1TB!

640x384xMushkin1.png.pagespeed.ic.c7jYHu

Using the Phison PS5007 controller, the Hyperion relies on PCIe 3.0 x4 and this M.2 SSD will be available 2015 Q2 in capacities of 128,256,512 and 1TB.  The controller itself supports 256-Bit AES encryption, has end-to-end data protection, supports both NVMe and AHCI protocols and present specs identify read performance as high as 2.8GB/s, write as high as 1.2GB/s and IOPS as high as 350K.  The Hyperion will come with a 3 year warranty and pricing is not available.

640x384xMushkin-PCIe1.png.pagespeed.ic.E

Another new SSD product for Mushkin is the stackable Scorpion XC Series SSD which can presently reach capacities as high  as 2TB by stacking up to 4 x 512 daughterboards as shown in this picture.  The drive relies on PCIe 2.0 x 2 and utilizes SandForce controllers, however, these can be traded off in the build process with the SMI SM2246EN controller which would provide for capacities up to an amazing 4TB.

640x384xMushkin-PCIe-21.png.pagespeed.ic

Performance of the Scorpion XC is listed as 880MB/s read and 840MB/s write and this SSD also comes with a 3 year warranty.

640x384xMushkin-Notebook1.png.pagespeed.

Last but not least, Mushkin will also be offering their new Striker SSD in a typical notebook form factor.  The Striker is another Phison controlled SSD and utilizes the PS3110 SATA 3 controller.  The Striker will be available in 240, 480 and 960 GB capacities and performance is listed as up to 565MB/s read, 550MB/s write and 92K IOPS.

Pricing and exact release dates are not available

Marvells display of their newest 88SS1093 NVMe SSD controller might be just that.

618x412xMarvell-3-1024x683.jpg.pagespeed

Seen in this picture above, this controller right now is testing at speeds of 2.9GB/s and those familiar with such shots might notice that there is no heat sink attached. It seems that while the world was anticipating and waiting for the Seagate (SandForce) SF3700 controller capable of 1.8GB/s to be released, Mike Chen and Marvell had other things in mind.

The 88SS1093 is the industries first NVM Express controller that uses PCIe 3.0 x4 and is theoretically capable of 4GB/s performance which has been unheard of previously.  This controller is compatible with a wide range of flash, including the latest TLC, supports up to 2TB and will be seen on a M.2 form factor before you know it.

618x412xMarvell-5-1024x683.jpg.pagespeed

Marvell was the first to state that it won’t be long before we just might see this on a M.2 form factor and that they are not experiencing any heat concerns whatsoever that they believe might prevent us from seeing extreme high power data transfer from ultra small factor systems.  Furthermore, it is believed that this controller will be fully capable of well above 3GB/s at the time of release.

http://www.legitreviews.com/plextor-m7e-m-2-pcie-ssd-performance-numbers-ces-2015_156766

Plextor M7e M.2 SSD performance numbers

Plextor’s suite at CES 2015 compared the new 1TB M7e versus a Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD and the results were impressive. On CrystalDiskMark the Plextor M7e scored an impressive 1411 MB/s read and 1028 MB/s write. The Samsung XP941 512GB drive scored 1136 MB/s read and 929MB/s write. These are blistering speeds for a single drive and the sequential numbers it makes your SATA III SSD look painfully slow. When it comes to 4K performance numbers the read speeds on both the Samsung and Plextor drives were found to be 33MB/s on the Read test and then we saw the Samsung drive leading on the write test by about 12MB/s.

plextor-m7e-m2-645x362.jpg

plextor-m7e-benchmark-645x301.jpg

This morning Kingston officially launched their HyperX Predator. This is an M.2 PCIe 2.0 x4 SSD using a Marvell 88SS9293 controller. We would normally paste their press photo here, but we were fortunate enough to get our own photo from one of the press events last night:

DSC06975.JPG

I can see just how this design went down. Marketing guy tells design guy "make this look cool". Design guy epically succeeds by leaving the PCIe data lane differential pair traces unmasked. There's no doubt this is a PCIe 2.0 x4 SSD, as you can clearly pick out the four sets of traces. It's a subtle thing that makes the HHHL adapter board look just so much cooler.

The HyperX Predator will also be available in a bare M.2 2280 form factor,

HyperX Launches High-Performance PCIe SSD

• Powered by Marvell Controller
  • Bootable via Standard AHCI Drivers
  • Speeds up to 1400MB/s Read and 1000MB/s Write
  • PCIe Gen. 2x4 Interface in M.2 Form Factor (with optional Half-Height, Half-Length Adapter)

Part Number

Capacity and Features

SHPM2280P2/240G M.2 Form Factor 240GB

SHPM2280P2/480G M.2 Form Factor 480GB

SHPM2280P2H/240G HHHL Form Factor 240GB

SHPM2280P2H/480G HHHL Form Factor 480GB

SHPM2280P2H/960G HHHL Form Factor 960GB (coming later Q1/Q2)

thx @kameshss

http://www.legitreviews.com/plextor-m6e-black-edition-pcie-ssd-announced-enthusiasts_156828

above i posted about the M7e now Plextor has announced the M6e black edition

Plextor today announced the M6e Black Edition PCIe Series SSD that utilizes the PCIe Gen 2.0 x 2 interface. Plextor did away with the traditional green PCB and went with a black version with an aggressive looking heatsink over the M.2 PCIe SSD to ensure that it is kept as cool as possible. The drive uses the Marvell 88SS9183 controller along with Toshiba Toggle NAND Flash memory just like the original M6e.

the peroformance numbers are exactly the same as the old standard m6e the difference is that it now has the "plexturbo 2.0" which is a 4GB cache

plextor-m6e-black-internals.jpg

Crucial comes with the BX100 sata 3 line of ssds at AMAZING PRiCES

The BX100 is a SATA 3 notebook entry SSD and is based on the ever popular SMI 2246EN controller, while the MX200 still relies on Marvell designs.  Both have a 3 year warranty. Performance for both the BX100 and MX100 can be seen in this slide:

607x456xCrucial-SSD-CES2015-Performance-

Value?  Take a look at this chart below and look at the 512GB price point of $199 MSRP…  Let the price wars heat up!

618x460xCrucial-SSD-CES2015-Price-Slide-

it has a 3 year warranty 

OCZ comes back with a BLOW !
OCZ is showing off their brand new vextor series
performance of up to 550MB/s read and 530MB/s write. Random 4K IOPS are rated for 100K read and 95K write.

this is nothing mind blowing but what is coming next is BIG
this is OCZ first time having an M2 product

In short, a beast of a new controller, JetExpress.

623x415xCES-OCZ-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Q_R-W

JetExpress has been designed for both consumer and enterprise applications. In order to support the new NVMe protocol, OCZ had to completely start from scratch with their JetExpress SSD controller. It has native SATA and PCI Express support and supports multiple form factors such as M.2, 2.5” SATA, and SFF-8639. One of the feature of this controller is that it dynamically adjusts error correction algorithms as the flash wears over its useful life. This ability increases flash endurance while allowing for the best performance possible over the life of the drive.

629x419xCES-OCZ-1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.VkZao

JetExpress is expected to first launch in enterprise products starting mid-2015. Consumer products featuring the new controller should be expected by the end of the year.

Furthermore, OCZ showed off another little beast, their latest enterprise PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD, the Z-Drive 6000. This drive comes in a SFF 2.5” form factor and comes with native PCIe 3.0 x4 support and is NVMe 1.1a certified. The controller for this drive is a PMC Sierra Princeton chip with OCZ-proprietary firmware.

629x420xCES-OCZ-3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9_tRn

The SFF-8639 connector supports hot plugging. The drive utilizes internal RAID for read speeds up to 3GB/s and write speeds up to 2GB/s. Random 4K IOPs are rated up to 700K read and 175K write. It also has power loss data protection and XTS-AES-256-bit encryption. There is closed loop power control w/SPP and power consumption is rated at 25W and there are 20W and 15W low power mode options. Finally, capacities for the Z-Drive 6000 are 800GB, 1.6TB, and 3.2TB.

629x420xCES-OCZ-1-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.fe7

And to wrap things up, they also had their Saber 1000 series SSD on display. It is an entry level enterprise SATA SSD ideal for hyperscale, web-hosting, and distributed computing environments. It hosts a Barefoot 3 controller and Toshiba A19 NAND flash. This combination allows for sustained read and write speeds up to 550MB/s and 515MB/s respectively. Random 4K read performance is rated for up to 98K IOPS and write for 23K IOPs. As with the OCZ Vector it also has PFM+. It also has central management capability via OCZ StoragePeak 1000. Capacities are available in 240GB, 480GB, and 960GB.

http://www.techpowerup.com/208695/toshiba-to-showcase-worlds-first-pci-express-single-package-ssd.html

Toshiba to Showcase World's First PCI Express Single Package SSD

Toshiba Corporation's Semiconductor & Storage Products Company announced it will showcase a reference display of the world's first PCI Express (PCIe) single package SSD, integrating up to 256 GB in a single BGA package,

53b.jpg

The new SSDs incorporate PCI Express, a high speed serial I/O interface for PCs, as physical interface and NVM Express optimized for SSDs as command interface.

53a.jpg

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Reading this makes me want to switch to m.2 ....

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

It looks really good eh? I like the idea of keeping part of my storage on my motherboard and not attached to it via a cable, although that idea doesn't bother me.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

It looks really good eh? I like the idea of keeping part of my storage on my motherboard and not attached to it via a cable, although that idea doesn't bother me.

Yeah it would make for great builds where no sata cables or sata power cables are needed for better cable management and space left for watercooling gear due to lack of hdd cages

Okay...now what about cost figures?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

M.2 SSD is compatible with laptops right?

Depends, not all laptop on the market support it at the moment

Depends, not all laptop on the market support it at the moment

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think Alienware 18 is compatible. I'm still waiting for them to declare if they'll be coming out with current new build.

Yup. these drives are so fast, they open programs before you do... and windows boots before you even push the power button on your case.  ...but seriously...so damn fast!

Cool but....Where is my 1.5GB SSD? 

i'm sure you mean TB...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

<--

Damn Someone notice....

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

If I had support on my motherboard I would but I don't want to add another card. 

I like the idea of actually making use of the extra pci-e slots. Finally !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I like the idea of actually making use of the extra pci-e slots. Finally !

if we can get pcie ssds at a reasonable price i can quite easily see cases that dont support any drives at all (maybe some 2.5inches on the back) becoming alot more common

No pricing as of now eh?

If they are at the sub 200 dollar mark that offers great storage options, this would be nice,

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

Is it finally possible to use m.2 ( both native or via PCIexpress ) as a boot drive with NVMe?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Is it finally possible to use m.2 ( both native or via PCIexpress ) as a boot drive with NVMe?

Most M.2 drives can be used to boot with on the Z97 and X99 platforms.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

God I wish I had the money for a 1tb m.2 ssd.....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

if we can get pcie ssds at a reasonable price i can quite easily see cases that dont support any drives at all (maybe some 2.5inches on the back) becoming alot more common

But GPUs must get smaller, u dont want your ssd to run hot.

We have to wait over 2 years to see some of this technology to come even close to a good price.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

@qwertywarrior Anytime! :)

Great Idea for posting the SSDs alone. People need it :)

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

according to this http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/intel-p3700-nvme-ssd-installation/

all u need to run NVMe is windows 8.1 at least and UEFI

a motherboard that supports boot through UEFI, not an ‘either/or’ selection where all SATA and NVME might hope to be recognized.  In our experience, the Intel P3700 SSD will not be recognized unless the motherboard is told to seek out NVMe devices first.  For our purposes, we are using the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 motherboard which has a Compatibility Support Mode (CSM) that can be found in its boot menu.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

yup would be awsome I hope someday it will be like 60 buck

We can only hope.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs