The Little Red Rendering Hood - Oddball Build Log

nicon

The Little Red Rendering Hood

6 Cores of Weird

@Rumikarimu a banner would be sick yo. I filled out your form.

*Disclaimer*

The use of "The Creator," "He," or other similar terms, has nothing to do with God(s), they refer to me, the creator of this build. Just didn't want to offend anybody. Also my grammar is sub-par for a native English-Speaker. Enjoy.

The Story:

One day in the deep, dark forest of PCPartpicker, emerged a two builds named "4690k/770" and "4790k/750ti." They were placed there by the creator, nicon. He had the intention of creating a rendering machine for under $1050. Nicon loved to use the Adobe Suite everyday to create awesome content, for multiple reasons. He was torn between the two builds, because they both had their benefits. Alas, there was an evil being in the forest named "Lack of Money (LOM)" (aka. The Fox).  LOM was causing Him to not be able to afford the builds. Nicon was mad. Suddenly, nicon came across more money, banishing LOM from the forest. The creator wondered what he could do with the extra money, and suddenly he knew. One word, "X99." Poof! Into the forest of PCPartpicker emerged a young build named the "Little Red Rendering Hood"

The End.

OK, enough with the crappy attempt to make a computer-themed fan-fic of the Little Red Riding Hood, a story which the last time I read it, I was still in 2nd grade. Anyways, I think you get the point. Here is the part list (THX to @AliveGhost13 for help) and a small rationale for each part:

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor:

Murders the 4790k in anything multithreaded (rendering). I'm not going for 3-4 way SLI, so 5930k is pointless for me.

Noctua NH-U14s:

It's like a mini D15. It's quiet and it kicks ass. In some cases (no pun intended), it beats the D15 performance-wise.

ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard:

Gets good reviews, mATX, $40 rebate yo. It's also called the Fatality Killer, so +50 points.

A-Data XPG Z1 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory:

Cheapest 16gb kit that matched my build colors. Also looks badass, like a bloody (actual blood, not the British expression) pyramid. 2800mhz isn't exactly slow either.

A-Data Premier Pro SP900 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive:

64gb is all you need for OS (Win 10), and essential applications.

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive:

Reliable, good. I once a one dropped on on the ground from shoulder level (~5.5 foot) and it still works like a charm. I also put most of my media on external drives, don't ask.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card:

I'm not gaming. Even if I was the 750ti is a strong performer. A 750ti is all I need to accelerate rendering/previews. Yes, a Quadro M6000 will render faster, but it will not scale with it's price difference. The 750ti reaches a sweet-spot in rendering performance/value. Blue PCB sukkks, might put some white/red acrylic over it as a pseudo-backplate.

Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case:

Good, relatively large mATX case. Easy to work in, has room for the cooler, and a basement for the PSU+cables. Also great airflow/customizability.

Raidmax 530W Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply:

Gets good reviews, will work up to a 970 (if I upgrade)

Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Adapter:

I'm in a room with no wired connection. Fast, good, cheap and comes with bluetooth. 

(Future Upgrade) Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 140mm Fan (x3) + Noctua Red rubber-corner things:

Good, quiet, matches build.

(Future Upgrade) A white and red (maybe red diagonal stripes on white background) acrylic backplate for the 750ti:

Blue PCBs suck.

Total:

~$1135 w/rebates, promos

Everything has been ordered from SuperBiiz, Newegg, and Amazon. Amazon Prime stuff will come on Friday (12th). Other stuff is expected from Monday-Wednesday (15th-17th) next week.

Hope you guys like it,

nicon

Table of Contents:

Update 1: Package Delivery 1 (Amazon and 1/2 Newegg) - 6/12/15

Update 2: Package Delivery 2 (1/2 Newegg) - 6/13/15

Package Delivery 3 (Superbiiz) - ?

P.S. The funny thing is, red is one of my least favorite colors. 

The Little Red Rendering Hood - bit of a stretch there but i like it :P For rendering have you considered one of the 8 or 10 Core Xeons? They might be better suited than the i7.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

The Little Red Rendering Hood - bit of a stretch there but i like it :P For rendering have you considered one of the 8 or 10 Core Xeons? They might be better suited than the i7.

To be perfectly honest, I can't afford it. $1135 was a bit of a stretch for me. Maybe an older Xeon, yeah, but I wanted something that would last me a while.

Edit: The majority of the parts are red-themed, hence the name and it is relatively small, mATX, so it is "Little"

I like it!

"Just go Android (Glorious Android Masterrace)"

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB

PC "SkyT": Radeon 390, i5 6600K, NZXT H440 Razer 

Blue PCB sukkks, might put some white/red acrylic over it as a pseudo-backplate.

you could always go for the MSI version of the card. the black PCB and black/red cooler would look pretty good with the rest of your build i think.

overall, i really like this! awesome stuff :D

I like it!

you could always go for the MSI version of the card. the black PCB and black/red cooler would look pretty good with the rest of your build i think.

overall, i really like this! awesome stuff :D

Thanks guys!

The MSI card was a lot more than the Gigabyte ($36 more), so It wasn't really worth it considering my budget.

UPDATE!

Stuff has arrived! Early! I got the HDD, the Wifi card and the Case so far. Tonight (6ish) I will get my other package from Newegg with a TON of more stuff, but for now:

Sorry about the phone pics. I'll break out my DSLR for the Mobo/other and Final Pics. You'll prob. see those later tonight!

YhdV9Iml.jpg

BOXES!!

Not exactly what I expected...

A8pmVcAl.jpg

That's more like it! Wifi ac + Bluetooth Card

zTCrvHrl.jpg

PLr9XQXl.jpg

Now onto the case. It's pretty big. Bigger than the Node 804, which I use for my HTPC. I like it though. I can re-arrange the side panels, do whatever I want. It's pretty dope. I set it up so that the mobo is flat and the window is on top, like the 250D. I might change it though. The only  thing I don't like is that 45% of the 200mm fan's air is being blown into the basement. I tried mounting it on the next set of holes up, realizing that the 140mm fan holes were 1mm to wide to fit the fan. :(  I COULD mount it with one screw and some tape, but I think i'll pass. I hope it pushes enough air. I'll prob. buy myself  3 NF-A14's for Christmas or something to put in the front and rear. It's weird they didn't include a rear fan, but for this price, I can't argue. I hope temps will be fine with the Noctua cooler without adequate airflow.

rmxElDOl.jpg

Here it is in comparison to a free iMac I just picked up.

uKUnWHpl.jpg

There you guys go. I'll see you in 3-4 hours with the next shipment!

- Nicon

Wow man! Looks like a really cool build :) and the flat mobo with the side-window is nice :) and Little Red Rendering Hood sounds cool :P Followed!

awesome, looking foreward to those pics. when do you think you can show us some benchmarks? :D

Soon. I am still waiting for Superbiiz to ship me the CPU and PSU, so I can't really do anything. It's been on status "Released for Distribution" for 3 days now, so I think I'll send them an email. I've only heard good things about them though. I think I am going to re-take the pics I took last night, because I was tired, and when I looked at them today, they were out-of-focus. :(

I'm also leaving on Friday of this week and the day I get back, me and my family are leaving for a month. I really want to get everything done by the time I leave so I don't leave this project hanging for a month + 2 weeks.

I'll probably compare rendering times to my MacBookPro (which I use now :( , at least I use boot-camp windows ) by rendering the same projects in premiere and in AE. I'll also do Cinebench, 7Zip, etc...

Not to spoil your excitement of your new rig, but the name you have chosen is too similar to that of my rig. Changing the name of your project would be appreciated. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Not to spoil your excitement of your new rig, but the name you have chosen is too similar to that of my rig. Changing the name of your project would be appreciated. 

Oh wow! We have similar parts. I see what you mean. I don't know what to change it to, though. I already have a banner being made too. I'll see what I can do. Also it's "rendering" not "riding" and I'm sure that there are other builds out there with similar names, but I know what you mean. I had not seen your build before creating this one, so I did not "copy" it if you know what I mean. :(

Oh wow! We have similar parts. I see what you mean. I don't know what to change it to, though. I already have a banner being made too. I'll see what I can do. Also it's "rendering" not "riding" and I'm sure that there are other builds out there with similar names, but I know what you mean. I had not seen your build before creating this one, so I did not "copy" it if you know what I mean. :(

Don't worry about it, you can name it whatever you want. So what if someone else has named his build somewhat close to the one you chose. :)

i7 4770k // Scythe Mugen PCGH 4 // Asus Maximus VI Hero // Crucial Ballistix 2x 4GB 1866 CL9 // MSI GTX 770 2GB Gaming

@MajorTemples

I know. I am one of those people that likes to make everybody happy though.

UPDATE

2/3 Parts are in

Here is the picture update I promised! These are NOT my best pictures. Came back from seeing "Spy" last night and was exhausted. I assembled the PC and took photos. Still waiting on CPU and PSU from SuperBiiz. They are taking forever.

Here are the boxes from newegg.

b5AlYXbl.jpg

dZ6fLogl.jpg

foEjCpMl.jpg

ArtYIOJl.jpg

yWx6NVjl.jpg

LhWP7Bol.jpg

4OTfSjEl.jpg

IQ66Mnel.jpg

s826TsBl.jpg

VhFP5ryl.jpg

7ZzaIgul.jpg

rRr0fxzl.jpg

5K8dOiil.jpg

qpIY3Tnl.jpg

R3tLJKkl.jpg

S5Sb87Tl.jpg

t8kY7JFl.jpg

e0evOKHl.jpg

EQxzfWyl.jpg

jdrgsV0l.jpg

BIGASSFAN

I tried

mQHI07cl.jpg

That's it guys! Hope you liked it. Does anybody know that "Released for Distribution" means on SuperBiiz's website?

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

YAY 9/10 Completed!

Alright peeps, I arrived back home to be greeted by a package from SuperBiiz. Finally. Inside were the CPU and PSU, the two missing components. I plopped them in and installed the cooler and was promptly greeted by and endless stream of error codes. Below is a reference on what the error codes were and how I resolved them for those who are interested/have an AsRock mobo.

Ram error - Removed all but one stick

VGA error - Re-seated GPU and removed WiFi card.

Error 99 lights steady - boots to setup

*I install windows, shut down, install all 4 sticks of ram, and attempt to boot*

Ram error - Removed all but one stick

*I flash bios to latest version, install all RAM, boot into windows*

I boot into windows and overclock the absolute s*** out of it.

But it works!

Let me upload the pics and I'll post them shortly!

P.S. I did a quick geekbench run and I got a ~12000 multithreaded score I think (I'm in a different country right now, so I don't know exacly) I think I also got around 1350 Cinebench points.

-Nicon

UPDATE

Really, Really, Really, Really, Crappy Pics

Sorry these were taken on my cell phone  at night and I didn't want to lug my studio strobes upstairs to take a couple of pics. I'll get really nice ones when I get back home.

Dg6Tf0Il.jpg

TzpvGvgl.jpg

fQiJItNl.jpg

P.S. I just realized how crappy Noctua fans look under a cell phone flash. At least they look alight in real life. I sure hope they look alright under strobes.