AMD Needs to hurry

One question. When is AMD going to bring something new to the table?!?!?!?

I would think that with Intel's new cpu's and nvidia new graphics that AMD would release something too. But maybe they are just working on something.

But when is it going to happen? Will they make a new chipset supporting DDR4? or just sit in the background of the pc world and slowly die?

Hopefully in 2016 they'll make some great CPU's so intel will have some competition.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

They will announce something in Feb. 2015 right?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

As an AMD "fanboy" (I started to prefer them over time), if only they could have support for DDR4, get on 22nm, have more power-efficient cores, and also... the FX line is still great but old... also, why not FX2 now.

kompooterz.

edit: They're not going to die; they're doing well in the GPU world

Yup. Right now their video cards fit well into low and mid range builds. And I don't mean that sarcastically either, not everyone can afford a GTX 970.

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

Yup. Right now their video cards fit well into low and mid range builds. And I don't mean that sarcastically either, not everyone can afford a GTX 970.

There's no reason to buy anything other than a 750ti/970/980 imo right now (from nvidia). Everything else is irrelevant.

AMD has 260x/270/270x/280/280x/290(x) and they're ALL viable. 760/770/780/780ti are overpriced and not worth it right now imo. AMD's cards at the same performance range handily beat them in price/performance.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

On CPU front: 2016 should have a new line up or two and note AMD is working on a whole new architecture... Intel is just slowly changing the old SandyBridge, In all reality Haswell is just SandyBridge revision 3, also may I note that they came up with SandyBridge in '05  it's basically been their golden pony that they're riding to death and back... AMD's tossing out everything and starting a whole new architecture and getting some of the best SoC and CPU designers together for Zen and taking their time...

On GPU front: It's mostly politics with partner companies holding them back... And Nvidia has sort of taken a couple of shortcuts for their benefits by keeping the same process node, same reference cooler (more-or-less)  they shrunk the chip and are using their new architecture  to match (or beat) the performance of the older larger chip  and are now making loads more money  (the mere difference in chip size means GM204 chips are drastically cheaper to manufacture than GK110s) they basically rushed out maxwell as fast as they could  by trying to change as little as possible to avoid the drama AMD's now dealing with trying to manufacture a newer larger chip, w/ newer architecture on smaller node w/ HBM, with a new cooler  at their expense (granted if it works out they'll be making lots of money) 

Also speaking just current stuff on the market *GPU wise*  I'd say in most cases AMD should be holding the crown at alot of budgets IMHO everything but GTX 980 aren't really worth considering cause an AMD card will likely be as good for cheaper 700 series cards are basically neglible cause they've been replaced or just plain suck for the money... I think 970 from Price:Performance falls very flat cause of 290/290x price cuts(which are worst than an emos (sorry if that was in bad taste)) and people are really over hyping 970 cause all they are comparing it to is 980 and I think 980 is king it's stronger than say Titan Black for half the cost  I think 980 is Nvidia's only card worth considering at just about anybudget cause another solution will be stronger... And Power Draw is only so far cause if your building a new computer a 500W PSU and 700W PSU can be almost identical in cost  and a $5 more PSU vs a $100 more graphics card (290 vs 970) is a bit of a difference for sucha  little fps gain... and at all the places I've ever lived power-cost between the two is $3-10/ year more with 290  980 on the other hand is an unstoppable monster wrecking the few things that compete with it (which are just 780Ti Titan black Titan Z and 295x2 but I'm excluding 295x2 cause of the AIO requirement)

of course this is speculation and based on news that's really mostly compromised of rumors and educated guesses  and is told from my in all honesty subjective perspective

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Hopefully in 2016 they'll make some great CPU's so intel will have some competition.

I can't imagine how they would. The R&D difference is just too vast at this point. They even publicly retracted from the desktop market. The only arena they could offer competition in is the embedded one and even then... it's doubtful.

If they innovated again maybe but that's a really big maybe (not impossible just improbable).

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

ya they're pretty cheap I guess for the most part except AMD FirePro W9000  the fastest one on PCpartpicker which 3,100.98 USD's soo being a little bit faster than a EVGA 06G-P4-3791-KR

Hi friend.Who are you?

As an AMD "fanboy" (I started to prefer them over time), if only they could have support for DDR4, get on 22nm, have more power-efficient cores, and also... the FX line is still great but old... also, why not FX2 now.

Honestly they can stay with ddr3 - aint nobody got no money for ddr4...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

ya they're pretty cheap I guess for the most part except AMD FirePro W9000  the fastest one on PCpartpicker which 3,100.98 USD's soo being a little bit faster than a EVGA 06G-P4-3791-KR

http://www.amazon.de/SAPPHIRE-Fire-W9100-PCI-E-mini-Dis/dp/B00JL6BI96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419378985&sr=8-1&keywords=amd+firepro+w9100

If we go all out we should go all out :D.

I agree, amd cards especially between 100-300€ are very interesting since Nvidia basicly doesnt offer anything in that price segment other than the gtx 760 which is ... meh 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I would think that with Intel's new cpu's and nvidia new graphics that AMD would release something too. But maybe they are just working on something.

But when is it going to happen? Will they make a new chipset supporting DDR4? or just sit in the background of the pc world and slowly die?

On this forum, and in the computer enthusiast base in general (particularly gamers) it's a well known fact that it is much better to hold off on something until it's done properly rather than release something that sucks anyway. We already have Ubisoft and EA digging a hole in the video game sector, we don't need the second-largest processor company in the world doing the same thing with something that is so much more important.

AMD's not going away. If they really were in trouble they would have done something by now. Despite what naysayers are saying these days, AMD isn't stupid. For once, they're waiting for Intel to release a new architecture so that they have a target to reach.

They are already doing terrifically in GPUs, and if the spec rumours are anything to go by, the R9 3 series will be amazing. Not even to mention their server processors. Opterons still have the highest core count of any server CPU.

I'm surprised at how well AMD is doing in terms of GPUs I have high hopes for their cpus too.  I personally think AMD is going to make stronger faster APU-like processors and that will be what they have offer.  If AMD can pull it off, they probably won't beat Intel but they will be sure damn close and have a higher chance of becoming king.

If AMD were to face bankruptcy (which is highly unlikely) it would most likely become a state owned (Owned by the US Gov't) company.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

In 2016 AMD's new architecture designed completely from scratch "Zen" will be making its way to the market. Intel really isn't doing anything that impressive with the next few CPU's that they plan on releasing. Broadwell isn't an upgrade from Haswell (~3% IPC gain) and Skylake AMD has Skybridge to put out as a competitor (in the lower power segment). So AMD still has a few launches coming that will help keep them "out of the hole" more than what they already are sort to speak. Tho Skylake is suppose to be a fully fledged architecture so mid 2015 might be Intel's ultimate dominating time period in the desktop market. Tho that opens a time-gap between Skylake and Intel's next architecture which will only be a "tick" in Intel's "tick-tock" release cycle. So AMD's next architecture is really riding on AMD returning to the market competitively. It will in essence make or break them. As like said if they can easily beat out Haswell with the new architecture Intel won't be able to respond for at least half a year. The downside is that is most people will be buying Skylake months before Zen even makes it debut. They don't need to beat Intel they just need to retain a ~10% performance margin with Intel and price competitively.

On the graphics side of things AMD is due to release their R9 300 series early next year. So AMD already had a response to GM204 before it made its debut. At which point Nvidia will more than likely launch its big brother architecture GK210. Tho GK210 is rumored to only be binned GK110 so it will still have very stiff competition in the market especially against the R9 390x behemoth. AMD isn't falling short on the GPU side of their company. The only thing Nvidia has on them right now is pushing their next generation cards to the market long before AMD could. Which essentially is giving them a jump start on soaking up sales.

AMD wont ever go away regardless to how in debt the company may go. Every time the company gets near to shutting its doors investors will bail them out. Just like Intel and Nvidia will never go under. If they hit a financial wall investors will bail them out time and time again. The reason is no one wants to see a monopoly created because of one company going under. Which is even more critical if AMD goes under as both Nvidia and Intel will become a monopoly in the market.

Project Zen in 2016, mate. The details are murky as fuck, but it looks like they're going to make an FX APU chip, or a full fat, powerful X86 chip. If they carry on with the crap, weak APU'S, and unless HSA is fully usuable, functional and incorporated into High Performance 8/12 core full fat desktop chips, then I'm going Intel, I think.

AMD have a HUGE opportunity here to set the desktop market alight. Surely they know, via market research et al, that the people demand and want a powerful, groundbreaking enthusiast chip.

I love AMD, and I am hoping for something special. But if they continue down the mass low-power market crap route, I and millions of others are DONE with them.

Project Zen in 2016, mate. The details are murky as fuck, but it looks like they're going to make an FX APU chip, or a full fat, powerful X86 chip. If they carry on with the crap, weak APU'S, and unless HSA is fully usuable, functional and incorporated into High Performance 8/12 core full fat desktop chips, then I'm going Intel, I think.

AMD have a HUGE opportunity here to set the desktop market alight. Surely they know, via market research et al, that the people demand and want a powerful, groundbreaking enthusiast chip.

I love AMD, and I am hoping for something special. But if they continue down the mass low-power market crap route, I and millions of others are DONE with them.

HSA is already fully usable with Carrizo which is the first fully HSA compliant APU. Intel is headed in the same direction to try and catch up to AMD. Don't expect above quad core microprocessors to be mainstream for the next several years on Intel's side. Serial processing is a thing of the past. AMD has been emphasizing this more than any other company for the longest time now, and they're exactly right. This is one reason why the market hasn't seen any new FX chips since Vishera. The market is simply not headed in that direction. An example would be the $150 A10-7850k crushing the $1,000 i7-5960x in compliant software all day long. This is exactly why Broadwell is getting nothing but major graphics architecture overhauls. Intel is finally picking up their pants as AMD has had them bent over for so long. Broadwell will be Intel's first OpenCL compliant hardware that is even worth writing OpenCL accelerated software for. Intel invested into being the king of serial computing which worked out for them. Now they are trying to invest in being king of the APU market. In which case they do have the resources and what not available to make that happen. Tho the story will always be wrote that they made their success off AMD innovation. 2016 will be a trying year for both companies. Jim Keller is at the helm and in full control as the lead engineer for the Zen architecture. It's said that Jim is already complaining about the lack of resources available at his disposal in doing so. Tho like said before AMD doesn't need to beat Intel in IPC to be a strong competitor. They just need to keep their performance within a ~10% bracket and price competitively. No one's going to go out and buy a quad core i5 for $224 if you can get a quad core FX for $150 that only loses a whole 2-5 FPS off every game average. This is where AMD ultimately kills both Intel and Nvidia in the market, is with competitive pricing.

HSA is already fully usable with Carrizo which is the first fully HSA compliant APU. Intel is headed in the same direction to try and catch up to AMD. Don't expect above quad core microprocessors to be mainstream for the next several years on Intel's side. Serial processing is a thing of the past. AMD has been emphasizing this more than any other company for the longest time now, and they're exactly right. This is one reason why the market hasn't seen any new FX chips since Vishera. The market is simply not headed in that direction. An example would be the $150 A10-7850k crushing the $1,000 i7-5960x in compliant software all day long. This is exactly why Broadwell is getting nothing but major graphics architecture overhauls. Intel is finally picking up their pants as AMD has had them bent over for so long. Broadwell will be Intel's first OpenCL compliant hardware that is even worth writing OpenCL accelerated software for. Intel invested into being the king of serial computing which worked out for them. Now they are trying to invest in being king of the APU market. In which case they do have the resources and what not available to make that happen. Tho the story will always be wrote that they made their success off AMD innovation. 2016 will be a trying year for both companies. Jim Keller is at the helm and in full control as the lead engineer for the Zen architecture. It's said that Jim is already complaining about the lack of resources available at his disposal in doing so. Tho like said before AMD doesn't need to beat Intel in IPC to be a strong competitor. They just need to keep their performance within a ~10% bracket and price competitively. No one's going to go out and buy a quad core i5 for $224 if you can get a quad core FX for $150 that only loses a whole 2-5 FPS off every game average. This is where AMD ultimately kills both Intel and Nvidia in the market, is with competitive pricing.

Hang on: The A10 7850K APU beats Intel's flagship 8 core in many applications, you say??

Do you mean with HSA activated?

@Opcode,

2 months ago, I built my current machine (FX 8350 Black Edition). I absolutely agonised whether to stay on the FM2 platform (my previous PC was FM2, but of course I would've moved to FM2+ for this one).

I kept abreast of HSA's developments, and I know what potential power it will bring if it works out. But I didn't know how long it was gonna take, and I certainly didn't want to have to use something similar to the A10 5800 (my previous chip); which was decent, don't get me wrong, but nowhere near powerful enough for me.

So, I was forced to go FX. And I like mine, to be honest. On applications that utilise all cores, its performance/raw power is impressive.

Anyway, my plan is to see wait for Zen now.

Hang on: The A10 7850K APU beats Intel's flagship 8 core in many applications, you say??

Do you mean with HSA activated?

Where OpenCL/HSA can be leveraged the eight core monster doesn't really stand a chance. It's become even more compliant in the software industry as a PostgreSQL developer is actually rewriting their sequel server backend to leverage GPGPU. The need for monstrous multiple core microprocessors in both the desktop and server industry is on it's way of being phased out. Sure we will see more cores over time but that's just progression.

@Opcode,

2 months ago, I built my current machine (FX 8350 Black Edition). I absolutely agonised whether to stay on the FM2 platform (my previous PC was FM2, but of course I would've moved to FM2+ for this one).

I kept abreast of HSA's developments, and I know what potential power it will bring if it works out. But I didn't know how long it was gonna take, and I certainly didn't want to have to use something similar to the A10 5800 (my previous chip); which was decent, don't get me wrong, but nowhere near powerful enough for me.

So, I was forced to go FX. And I like mine, to be honest. On applications that utilise all cores, its performance/raw power is impressive.

Anyway, my plan is to see wait for Zen now.

The only problem that heterogeneous computing faces is that the software industry is slow adaptation. In time even games will utilize OpenCL/HSA or another standard. As of right now, massive multiple core microprocessors are favored as software written over the past decade is designed for straight serial computing. Games and most software don't leverage the advantages of heterogeneous computing. One of the problems I would guess is that not all desktop microprocessors are compliant with a heterogeneous architecture (Intel). Also open standards like OpenCL have just recently added critical features needed for easily leveraging it. There's a lot of code involved in establishing a kernel and what not along with the headaches of piping resources back and forth from the CPU and iGPU. Tho take my word for it once Broadwell is launched along with Carrizo the software industry will start to make a massive turn towards heterogeneous computing. This is why Intel is focused on beefing up their graphics architecture with Broadwell while implementing critical features like shared virtual memory spaces. In short once it becomes easier for the developers to leverage the innovation, the more we will see it on the consumer end.

If AMD were to face bankruptcy (which is highly unlikely) it would most likely become a state owned (Owned by the US Gov't) company.

:rolleyes:

Honestly they can stay with ddr3 - aint nobody got no money for ddr4...

It's just because DDR4 is still new on the market, probably that's why it's too expensive in some people's opinions.

kompooterz.

AMD is working to get theire 300 series gpu´s ready.

Nvidia´s current GTX970 can barely keep up with a similar priced 290X.

Wenn the new 300 series are out, Nvidia will be ways behind again with their 28Nm gpu´s.

Nvidia is allways behind wenn it comes to gpu´s lol.

just face it, the 7970 tahiti cards are there for ages allready.

It took Nvidia 3 gen´s to finaly beat the good old Tahiti

its just hillarious. :D