Jury Finds Apple Not-Guilty - DRM Found To Be Good For Consumers

GoodBytes

Apple was brought to court in a class action suits about iTunes and iPod centering on extra security measures implemented in 2006.

Marianna Rosen and Melanie Wilson, brought the lawsuit against Apple with nearly 8 million affected people, where they were claiming the company used a DRM system named FairPlay, to block competing digital music services from putting their music on iPods devices.

ipods4_2040.0.jpg

A jury of 8 placed an unanimous verdict that Apple is innocent and that said Apple's iTunes 7.0, the first version implemented the DRM with iPods, was a "genuine product improvement", meaning it was good for consumer.

An eight-person jury has decided that Apple is not on the hook for what could have been more than $1 billion in a trial centering on extra security measures the company added to iTunes and iPods starting in 2006.

Delivering a unanimous verdict today, the group said Apple's iTunes 7.0, released in the fall of 2006, was a "genuine product improvement," meaning that new features (though importantly increased security) were good for consumers. Plaintiffs in the case unsuccessfully argued that those features not only thwarted competition, but also made Apple's products less useful since customers could not as easily use purchased music or jukebox software from other companies with the iPod.

The decision means that Apple did not violate antitrust laws, and saved itself from paying a potential 1 billion dollars to consumers for damages.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/7402695/jury-decision-in-iTunes-iPod-DRM-case

Drm good for consumers. Yep. Sounds about right to me.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Does that jury know stuff about tech and DRM? I don't particularly mind the verdict, as long as they knew what they were talking about. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Eww

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Does that jury know stuff about tech and DRM? I don't particularly mind the verdict, as long as they knew what they were talking about. 

Of course they dont. Those general juries dont know about anything except basic law.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

"DRM Found To Be Good For Consumers" well that was taken out of context. Apple's fairplay DRM helped prove to record companies that music can be distributed digitally and not turn into a complete mess of piracy. If Apple didn't do this we wouldn't have the music streaming services we have now, Apple's DRM helped bring the music distribution industry into the digital age much faster.

IF it was used in the present day then yes it would be very anti competitive, but this was 2006 when there was still a lot of uncertainty about distributing music digitally and it helped establish the validity of digital music distribution to record companies.  

This case wasn't about DRM being good or bad for consumers, it was about Apples use of DRM to thwart other companies. In the end the jury decided that Apple was working to get record companies to distribute music digitally which made more content available to consumers rather than thwarting competitors.

i believe they were bribed

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Apple doesn't even use FairPlay anymore though. Why does it matter anymore?

Because the legal system is slow as balls and it took until now to get a verdict.

"DRM Found To Be Good For Consumers" well that was taken out of context. Apple's fairplay DRM helped prove to record companies that music can be distributed digitally and not turn into a complete mess of piracy. If Apple didn't do this we wouldn't have the music streaming services we have now, Apple's DRM helped bring the music distribution industry into the digital age much faster.

IF it was used in the present day then yes it would be very anti competitive, but this was 2006 when there was still a lot of uncertainty about distributing music digitally and it helped establish the validity of digital music distribution to record companies.  

This case wasn't about DRM being good or bad for consumers, it was about Apples use of DRM to thwart other companies. In the end the jury decided that Apple was working to get record companies to distribute music digitally which made more content available to consumers rather than thwarting competitors.

That's a load of bullshit.

1) Apple refused to license the technology to anyone. If they really wanted to just help bring digital music to the market then they would have licensed it.

2) Apple actively blocked other music brought through stores such as RealPlayer Music from working on the iPod. The music worked at first, then Apple released a patch to block it. Apple clearly wanted a monopoly on music that worked on the iPod. Didn't get your music from Apple? Then you couldn't play it on your iPod. If Apple wasn't out for money then they would have allowed music from other stores as well. The record labels were already okay with selling their music through other stores such as RealPlayer.

3) Apple has admitted to deleting music that were bought from competitors stores without telling users. Their reasons for not telling the users were “We don’t need to give users too much information,” and “We don’t want to confuse users.”.

You're arguing that Apple did it to make more music available in their stores, but that's clearly not the case. Apple went out of the way to block any music not bought from them. That's anti competitive and anti consumer.

Reminds me of the beginning of this great movie, but not the end because in reality one smart guy can't change how stupid and ignorant all the others are.

12-Angry-Men.jpg

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

They didn't,  just like the big samsung v apple case a few years back, it took the jury less than a  day to deliberate (from memory) 634 pieces of detailed IP legislation 100 pages of orders to process and a 20 page verdict form to fill out.   The same evidence it took lawyers years to set the case up from and the court 3 weeks to debate.  

The jury in these cases do not know what they are deliberating on.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They didn't,  just like the big samsung v apple case a few years back, it took the jury less than a  day to deliberate (from memory) 634 pieces of detailed IP legislation 100 pages of orders to process and a 20 page verdict form to fill out.   The same evidence it took lawyers years to set the case up from and the court 3 weeks to debate.  

The jury in these cases do not know what they are deliberating on.

Well I don't know anything about the American jury system, but that is just plain fucking stupid..... The american government disappoints me once again, how surprising. 

How the hell can you let people decide about this if they probably don't even know what DRM is?

The same also goes for the judges in other cases though, those should be assisted by people that actually know what they are talking about.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

Well I don't know anything about the American jury system, but that is just plain fucking stupid..... The american government disappoints me once again, how surprising. 

How the hell can you let people decide about this if they probably don't even know what DRM is?

The same also goes for the judges in other cases though, those should be assisted by people that actually know what they are talking about.

And to make it worse when the jury did decide apple were in the wrong (because it was as obvious as day and un-arguable) the president overruled the decision claiming it would hurt the economy too much.   My only response to that is if the economy is in danger then stop with these fucking stupid court cases, let investors develop a sense of confidence in the market and watch them start pouring money into the economy again.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And to make it worse when the jury did decide apple were in the wrong (because it was as obvious as day and un-arguable) the president overruled the decision claiming it would hurt the economy too much.   My only response to that is if the economy is in danger then stop with these fucking stupid court cases, let investors develop a sense of confidence in the market and watch them start pouring money into the economy again.

Wow, if that is true.....

That would be, ehm, weird to say the least. A financial interest overrules the law, that could create some very interesting situations... (with that I mean problems ofc)

Well yeah if the result of the court case can't be that Apple (or insert any other big company) is wrong because that would not be good for the economy, then it is a waste of money to even have such a case, and those cases as far as I have seen cost a lot often to set up with the lawyers and all.

I can understand that taking out a giant tech company wouldn't be good to the fragile economy and I get that they don't want to do that, but atleast punish them somehow, by fining them or something, this is just weird, make enough money and you can do whatever you want.

(as I said before in another thread, no big company's product will ever be banned, they are simply too big for that)

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

Wow, if that is true.....

That would be, ehm, weird to say the least. A financial interest overrules the law, that could create some very interesting situations... (with that I mean problems ofc)

Well yeah if the result of the court case can't be that Apple (or insert any other big company) is wrong because that would not be good for the economy, then it is a waste of money to even have such a case, and those cases as far as I have seen cost a lot often to set up with the lawyers and all.

I can understand that taking out a giant tech company wouldn't be good to the fragile economy and I get that they don't want to do that, but atleast punish them somehow, by fining them or something, this is just weird, make enough money and you can do whatever you want.

(as I said before in another thread, no big company's product will ever be banned, they are simply too big for that)

Sorry, I need to update that last post I made,  obama overruled it on the patent type ( a technicality).

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-administration-overrules-apple-import-ban-201402283.html

But the same outcome and reasoning is evident.

Because the legal system is slow as balls and it took until now to get a verdict.

That's a load of bullshit.

1) Apple refused to license the technology to anyone. If they really wanted to just help bring digital music to the market then they would have licensed it.

2) Apple actively blocked other music brought through stores such as RealPlayer Music from working on the iPod. The music worked at first, then Apple released a patch to block it. Apple clearly wanted a monopoly on music that worked on the iPod. Didn't get your music from Apple? Then you couldn't play it on your iPod. If Apple wasn't out for money then they would have allowed music from other stores as well. The record labels were already okay with selling their music through other stores such as RealPlayer.

3) Apple has admitted to deleting music that were bought from competitors stores without telling users. Their reasons for not telling the users were “We don’t need to give users too much information,” and “We don’t want to confuse users.”.

You're arguing that Apple did it to make more music available in their stores, but that's clearly not the case. Apple went out of the way to block any music not bought from them. That's anti competitive and anti consumer.

Apple didn't have the rights to play music protected with other forms of DRM, if Apple continued to allow itunes to work with other DRM types without licensing then Apple would have gotten sued. Apple also did not block all music that was not form the itunes store, users could play music that was not protected with DRM like music taken from CDs. 

Apple didn't have the rights to play music protected with other forms of DRM, if Apple continued to allow itunes to work with other DRM types without licensing then Apple would have gotten sued. Apple also did not block all music that was not form the itunes store, users could play music that was not protected with DRM like music taken from CDs. 

[Citation Needed]

What actually happened was that RealNetworks allowed DRM protected music from their store to be converted to a format that was compatible with FairPlay (Apple's DRM). It was RealNetworks that developed and allowed this because they had their own store. Apple threatened with legal actions and later blocked those audio files from being played. Apple was at no risk of being sued because it was RealNetworks themselves that made it possible to play music from their store on the iPod.

Oh god. What the fuck?

It makes sense but just because it makes sense, it doesn't mean it's the correct choice.

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

[Citation Needed]

What actually happened was that RealNetworks allowed DRM protected music from their store to be converted to a format that was compatible with FairPlay (Apple's DRM). It was RealNetworks that developed and allowed this because they had their own store. Apple threatened with legal actions and later blocked those audio files from being played. Apple was at no risk of being sued because it was RealNetworks themselves that made it possible to play music from their store on the iPod.

so you expect Apple to go to them and say "Hey, we noticed you are selling music that works with our DRM system without proper licensing. How about we give you the proper licensing because what you are currently doing is reason for us to sue you and shut you down" 

Hell no! Apple had every right to block it since RealNetworks was doing that without proper licensing.

so you expect Apple to go to them and say "Hey, we noticed you are selling music that works with our DRM system without proper licensing. How about we give you the proper licensing because what you are currently doing is reason for us to sue you and shut you down" 

Hell no! Apple had every right to block it since RealNetworks was doing that without proper licensing.

No I didn't/don't expect Apple to do that because Apple is a terrible company.

What it does prove however is that they were not just acting for the good of the consumers like you are trying to pretend. They were acting in anti competitive and anti consumer ways.

If they had been acting for the good of the consumer then they would have allowed it to continue, but that would mean Apple wouldn't be able to have a monopoly on DRM protected music on the iPod like they wanted.