[GT] Geforce GTX 960 with GM206 in January

Go to solution Solved by TwistedDictator,

I decided to make a good "best answer". I do it for the likes ;)

The start with the Specs: If it performs like a 770 with a 2GB VRAM then it could lead to a better 960ti; That could be the reason that they made a crappy 960. I would rather buy a 780ti then 960 BUTthats just me. 2GB VRAM is not enough.

The new design looks like a cheap peice of dustbin but its a Ref deisgn. Who buys ref design? Spend that extra £10 and a MSI or Gigabyte design.

Lastly the price is a joke. But I can gaurantee that it would go down if there where going to release a 960ti. They just want to milk certain fan boys ;)

It's possible they don't want to affect 970 980 sales, hence the performance gap.

Unlike the current models in the GeForce GTX 900 Series contains newcomer on the new and unadorned graphics processor GM206 with typically 2 GB of GDDR5 memory on a 128-bit memory bus. The slimmed-down specifications despite predicted Geforce GTX 960 perform on par with the GTX 770

Pricing is more difficult to predict, not least because of the strong dollar. The target price is expected to land at 249-299 dollars, which should be translated to approximately SEK 2 500 at Swedish retailer.

Source

There more info at the source. I just put the important stuff here :)

gtx6-1038x576.png

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

SO it's pretty much two 750ti's slapped together on a 128 bit bus?

A bit disappointing considering the gtx 970m already has the same specs as the gtx 960 but with a 192 bit bus.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

My god. I need one. I was gonna replace my 480 with a 760 later on down the line, but... I like it. Even the cooler.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Still waiting for high end $100 dollar card.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Still waiting for high end $100 dollar card.

you'll be waiting forever, what was high end 5 years ago (performance wise) is available for $100 now.... but those $100 cards are not high end today.

My god. I need one. I was gonna replace my 480 with a 760 later on down the line, but... I like it. Even the cooler.

That 480 was ment to be replaced a long time ago lol. If you want I can sell you a pretty cheap 780ti if you willing to buy a cooler for it (I removed the stock cooler and dont have it anymore).

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

That 480 was ment to be replaced a long time ago lol.

NO. FERMI IS LOVE. FERMI IS LIFE.

Besides, it's still faster than a next-gen console.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What an overpriced piece of shit if that's a 2GB card. Why would anyone pay $250 for 770 level performance when you can get a much more powerful R9 290 with 4GB VRAM for that price after rebate? Sad if Nvidia can get away with not even trying to challenge the R9 280x, much less the R9 290.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think you confused lol. The PS3 isnt next gen ;)

What an overpriced piece of shit if that's a 2GB card.

Here is the best answer :)

Slick:

You actually like the plastic cooler with a huge penis extension and just a solid copper and aluminium block as a heatsink?

Tesla is love. Tesla is life

What an overpriced piece of shit if that's a 2GB card. Why would anyone pay $250 for 770 level performance when you can get a much more powerful R9 290 with 4GB VRAM for that price after rebate?

Sad if Nvidia can get away with not even trying to challenge the R9 280x, much less R9 290.

I own and use a r9 290 in my rig, however having a card with 2 GB rather than 4 GB doesn't seem like a huge deal; the ram doesn't have much correlation with raw performance.

Also my r9 290 was $300+ when I bought it around 2 months ago, so $50+ less than that wouldn't be considered trying to compete blow for blow.

I could be wrong though; if I am please correct me. 

Should I trade my 760 I get on christmas for this?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I own and use a r9 290 in my rig, however having a card with 2 GB rather than 4 GB doesn't seem like a huge deal; the ram doesn't have much correlation with raw performance.

Also my r9 290 was $300+ when I bought it around 2 months ago, so $50+ less than that wouldn't be considered trying to compete blow for blow.

I could be wrong though; if I am please correct me. 

Shadow of Mordor wants 3GB to run with high textures. Skyrim needs 3GB to run with a lot of mods. AC Unity chokes on 2GB in Anandtech's benchmarks at ultra. I guess you could say AC Unity is an unoptimized crap port, but crap ports are the rule and not the exception in PC gaming since most of the money is in the consoles. With the consoles having 8GB of unified memory, I think it's really hard to believe going forward that games aren't going to eventually be designed for 4GB-6GB of VRAM usage now that X360 and PS3 are dead and won't be holding developers back.

And now I see why Nvidia didn't release this previously it's a POS and neglible...could save a few bucks and just get the R9 285  similar performance(mostlikely) similar efficiency(Rough estimate), lowercost... Or just spend a few bucks more and get a 290 with a nice aftermarket cooler (Windforce PCS+ and TRI-X can all be found in the $250-$300 price spot with rebates or such)

Should I trade my 760 I get on christmas for this?

Unless I'm and most of the other people who've posted so far are missing something this looks like a waste of money incomparison to similarly priced AMD Gpus  but vs the 760 it should be a fine upgrade... 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Source doesn't look trustworthy but if anyone was expecting more than a gtx 770 performance I'll be surprised. I highly doubt it's that price too based on the 900 pricing and if it has a 128bit bus it'll be much cheaper than the previous x60 cards to produce.

Shadow of Mordor wants 3GB to run with high textures. Skyrim needs 3GB to run with a lot of mods. AC Unity chokes on 2GB in Anandtech's benchmarks at ultra. I guess you could say AC Unity is an unoptimized crap port, but crap ports are the rule and not the exception in PC gaming since most of the money is in the consoles. With the consoles having 8GB of unified memory, I think it's really hard to believe going forward that games aren't going to eventually be designed for 4GB-6GB of VRAM usage now that X360 and PS3 are dead and won't be holding developers back.

Yeah, I don't play many flagship games so I was unaware of their demand of VRAM; cards that are unable to play brand new games are already a dying breed.

Source doesn't look trustworthy but if anyone was expecting more than a gtx 770 performance I'll be surprised. I highly doubt it's that price too based on the 900 pricing and if it has a 128bit bus it'll be much cheaper than the previous x60 cards to produce.

I was hoping for 780 level performance with at least 3GB VRAM for $250, but it's looking like Nvidia called off the price war with AMD for the midrange segment at least. Put this crap out at $250 though to keep the low end 970's at $330 really appealing, while giving them something to sell to the Dell's and Alienware's of the world? And surely it'll be a hit with the Best Buy kind of shoppers who don't do their homework.

What the PSU power requirements?  if its stupidly low then you would be able to build a kick ass low power gaming rig.

HTID

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that people care so much about a card's TDP? Especially considering it seems like half the board runs overclocked i5-4690k's or overclocked FX-8350's. I can see why manufacturers care so much about TDP since they need efficiency for the laptop and tablet markets, but for PC gaming I don't care much about low power and I don't see why buyers should. Not when quality 550W+ power supplies are affordable and cases with good airflow are cheap thanks to everyone overclocking.

Here is the best answer :)

Why are you picking "best answer" in a tech news forum post?

Why are you picking "best answer" in a tech news forum post?

Cause he can.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Cause he can.

Thanks, TwistedDictator.

Didn't the rumors say before that it was going to have 3GB RAM on a 192-bit bus, and then briefly 4GB RAM on a 256-bit bus? Why the change to 2GB on a 128-bit bus?