Female Video Game Reviewer Contacts Mothers

Artificial Ignorance

This is the result I want to see

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Yeah, I keep doing this to people. Editing my posts after... Take a look @ what I said again :P.

However, my point remains that it's not OK to make these threats regardless of age, or what medium you are using to do it. E.g CoD or Facebook.

That doesn't mean I think that 12 year olds should be punished like adults, and that is why I agree with the approach taken.

Yeah agreed, it's a weird case ,i wasn't talking about her response to the issue, that's the best logical thing i've seen anyone do, especially when she had a choice to go rant about it & go extremely overboard with it & create a whole another level of issue like the one that i was talking about..

i meant that those exact thing could & possibly will be used in real nature, you know those women who pick & punish boys because they're boys :/ ,  seen a few examples in my neighborhood but they get away with it :/  To them these are fuel for excuse to act as a lynch mob & get away with it.

Details separate people.

Saw this on twitter yesterday I believe. Very funny :P

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Wow this is so stupid for so many reasons. I almost threw up a bit when reading this.

"I'll rape u if i ever see u cunt" is not sexism. Sexism isn't "doing something bad against a woman". Sexism is doing something bad because of the gender of the person. This is what @Kingofpants was trying to say. Just because something bad happens to a women doesn't mean it is sexism. I think it's interesting that the people who scream about sexism the most don't even know the definition. It's the same with Anita. She isn't being hated on because she is a woman. If you look at her critics you see that they are criticizing her for her flawed logic, stealing content and other totally non-gender based reasons. Therefore, it is not sexism. If people were saying "she should not have the right to speak about this because she is a woman" then it would be sexism. Funnily enough, the "you're a white male" line some people on the "feminist" side usually throw around is in fact sexism. Saying "you're a white male so therefore X" is exactly the same as saying "you're a woman so therefore X".

It is only a real threat if there is a intention and likelihood that it will be carried out. A 12 year old kid on the Internet saying bad things towards you is not a real threat.

You would think that as a game reviewer she would have been online enough to see that this happens to EVERYONE. If a 12 year old saying something like "I am going to rape you" on a chat is enough to be classified as a "sexist rape threat" then holy shit. We have a HUGE issue with sexism and rape threats towards men as well. If that's all it takes then I have had countless of rape threats against me over the years.

Her videos seems pretty average for youtube standards (that's not a compliment) and doesn't get many views.

Her videos gets like 3000 views. I would not be surprised if she starts appearing in more and more news, and her views skyrocket. The quickest way to fame these days is

1) Have a vagina

2) Say that you're being harassed

3) Saying that you're being harassed because of step 1

Repeat step 2 and 3 until you are famous enough for your liking. If you start slipping into obscurity after a while just do it again.

Quote from her "Top 5 Hottest Men in Games" video that I agree with 100%.

Today I am making a video as a response to claims that Geralt from The Witcher is "too handsome". That's the most ridiculous thing ever. [...] This is an actual thing. This is actually happening.

She then lists Geralt as the hottest man in games.

The reason I agree with this is because I have the exact same reaction every time someone says "fictional character X looks too good", which is usually some woman.

In terms of rape threats against men and women. The evidence is that actual number of cases involving rape. Most of the victims are women, I do understand however a lot of victims of rape that are men simply never report it. Which is a big issue in the United States because over there they don't seem to give a shit about the state of their prisoners.

However, in the rest of the world at least there is solid evidence that women are raped more than men. And generally threatened with rape more than men.

Number of actual rape cases != number of "rape threats".

You still have not shown any proof that women receive more rape threats than men. If we are going to use the extremely poor definition of "a ~12 year old saying they will fuck you over the Internet" as a "rape threat" then I wouldn't be surprised if men gets threatened more.

This is rather fantastic.

Mother's reaction is wonderful. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

For once a "feminist" "reviewer" is getting to the root of problems: taking 12 year old's threats seriously...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Wow this is so stupid for so many reasons. I almost threw up a bit when reading this.

"I'll rape u if i ever see u cunt" is not sexism. Sexism isn't "doing something bad against a woman". Sexism is doing something bad because of the gender of the person. This is what @Kingofpants was trying to say. Just because something bad happens to a women doesn't mean it is sexism. I think it's interesting that the people who scream about sexism the most don't even know the definition. It's the same with Anita. She isn't being hated on because she is a woman. If you look at her critics you see that they are criticizing her for her flawed logic, stealing content and other totally non-gender based reasons. Therefore, it is not sexism. If people were saying "she should not have the right to speak about this because she is a woman" then it would be sexism. Funnily enough, the "you're a white male" line some people on the "feminist" side usually throw around is in fact sexism. Saying "you're a white male so therefore X" is exactly the same as saying "you're a woman so therefore X".

It is only a real threat if there is a intention and likelihood that it will be carried out. A 12 year old kid on the Internet saying bad things towards you is not a real threat.

You would think that as a game reviewer she would have been online enough to see that this happens to EVERYONE. If a 12 year old saying something like "I am going to rape you" on a chat is enough to be classified as a "sexist rape threat" then holy shit. We have a HUGE issue with sexism and rape threats towards men as well. If that's all it takes then I have had countless of rape threats against me over the years.

Her videos seems pretty average for youtube standards (that's not a compliment) and doesn't get many views.

Her videos gets like 3000 views. I would not be surprised if she starts appearing in more and more news, and her views skyrocket. The quickest way to fame these days is

1) Have a vagina

2) Say that you're being harassed

3) Saying that you're being harassed because of step 1

Repeat step 2 and 3 until you are famous enough for your liking. If you start slipping into obscurity after a while just do it again.

Quote from her "Top 5 Hottest Men in Games" video that I agree with 100%.

She then lists Geralt as the hottest man in games.

The reason I agree with this is because I have the exact same reaction every time someone says "fictional character X looks too good", which is usually some woman.

You still have not shown any proof that women receive more rape threats than men. If we are going to use the extremely poor definition of "a ~12 year old saying they will fuck you over the Internet" as a "rape threat" then I wouldn't be surprised if men gets threatened more.

Poor Lawlz, don't you know that descent = sexism/racism/bigotry? You may only have the opinion that's given to you by the SJW's and are verbotten from forming your own opinion.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The very fact that you pass this off as just "being part of a YouTuber" is disturbingly telling of just how deeply rooted this problem really is. A rape threat is on the same tier as a death threat and should never be said or taken as a joke.

The only intent of the guy saying that to the woman in this article was to instill fear in her. It was not a joke. Sure, perhaps he would never actually rape her, but he doesn't need to. His goal was to put her into a state of fear and to make her feel vulnerable. And that's a problem.

But the problem is that these fear tactics WORK. I am in no way saying that any of these threats are justifiable, but when acknowledgment is made to these threats by the person they were targeted at, the trolls win. They WANT a reaction. That's why they write these threats in the first place. The only way we can stop people from posting these threats is to either get rid of comments on Youtube altogether, or just simply ignore them and hope that by the fact that no one is paying attention to the trolls, all the hate comments should go away or at least lessen by significant amount.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

I have no problem with her response to harassment - in fact, I find it quite creative and amusing. But it irks me to no end that the underlying cause of any negative action taken against a woman is immediately construed as "sexism". Also, fuck Jezebel as a website.

The very fact that you pass this off as just "being part of a YouTuber" is disturbingly telling of just how deeply rooted this problem really is. A rape threat is on the same tier as a death threat and should never be said or taken as a joke.

The only intent of the guy saying that to the woman in this article was to instill fear in her. It was not a joke. Sure, perhaps he would never actually rape her, but he doesn't need to. His goal was to put her into a state of fear and to make her feel vulnerable. And that's a problem.

Yes, threats should be taken seriously, and the low-hanging fruit of threats delivered via Facebook deserve to be addressed. But prominent YouTubers (of either gender) do receive threats and harassment on a regular basis. What's the solution to this? Do you submit multiple police reports a month? I think the one thing you shouldn't do is immediately go crying to the media. I'd be willing to wager that the majority of harassment is sent by people trying to provoke a rise out of their victims: trolls, basically. That's not to say I'm criticizing Alanah's actions - if you can do something about your harassers, go ahead and do it. But for the inevitable, anonymous bogeymen on the internet? Ignore the ones that seem harmless, and contact the police about the more serious ones.

seems like she made it up for publicity to advertise herself and her channel

I don't know if her reviews are any good (anything, even being a conslow peasant, is better than Machinima reviews) or if I'd agree with what she says about the game but that goes to any reviewer and she handled this brilliantly.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

All of this is very well said and right on the money. Threats like this (for the most part) aren't sexist, they're just plain disrespectful. The only thing I will add is this; It's one thing to say a rape threat from a 12 year old is hollow and harmless (because it's over the internet), but the fact of the matter is; the kid shouldn't be saying something like that to anyone to begin with. More and more kids/pre-teens/teens these days I'm finding have such little respect for others (especially in online/gaming settings) and such poisonous attitudes and language that it makes me sick. I don't care if someone swears, it's the manner/attitude and context in which they use it that makes it so disrespectful (like the threat example given in the OP). I mean why is a 12 year old even making such a statement in the first place? Where that comes from is probably a whole other debate for another day, but it's getting worse. It's about time someone held them accountable for their own actions. I applaud what Alanah is doing and I think more people should take after this. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior and it's completely unnecessary IMO.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

All of this is very well said and right on the money. Threats like this (for the most part) aren't sexist, they're just plain disrespectful. The only thing I will add is this; It's one thing to say a rape threat from a 12 year old is hollow and harmless (because it's over the internet), but the fact of the matter is; the kid shouldn't be saying something like that to anyone to begin with. More and more kids/pre-teens/teens these days I'm finding have such little respect for others (especially in online/gaming settings) and such poisonous attitudes and language that it makes me sick. I don't care if someone swears, it's the manner/attitude and context in which they use it that makes it so disrespectful (like the threat example given in the OP). I mean why is a 12 year old even making such a statement in the first place? Where that comes from is probably a whole other debate for another day, but it's getting worse. It's about time someone held them accountable for their own actions. I applaud what Alanah is doing and I think more people should take after this. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior and it's completely unnecessary IMO.

Perhaps but you cant discriminate who makes a threat like this as it could be from a stupid little shit like this kid but it  could also be from an adult, who has obtained her real information from a doxxing and is serious about it, you just have no way of knowing.

also  it is considered sexism, a form of discrimination, when threatening or.abusive language is targeted towards a specific group.

seems like she made it up for publicity to advertise herself and her channel

amd why would she ? this happens constantly, and  dismissing this as someone wanting attention, shows a lack of apathy that seem to be common within the gaming industry  industry.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

also  it is considered sexism, a form of discrimination, when threatening or.abusive language is targeted towards a specific group.

If it's targeted at a specific group then yes it is sexism. The messages she received were not attacking all women though so they were not sexist. I have received very similar messages and I would never even think about calling it sexism, or come to the conclusion that "I am only getting this because I am a man!".

Spend a few hours on the Internet and you will get similar messages no matter what race, sexual preference, skin color or political stance you have.

I have no idea who she is, but if she's talking like she knows, when she doesnt, then i'm not surprised. But if she's actually good at reviewing and knows what she's doing, then i don't want to live on this planet anymore. Though she shouldn't give a damn about 12yo kids. Haven't she played CoD? Every1 fucks mothers there, not amazed she's gonna get harassed too.

Grammar was 6/10 there, but good point.

I feel you've you hit the nail on the head. I see soooo many posts of people (not just in this thread, but constantly on this forum) saying "Oh well they should have thicker skin". They shouldn't need thicker skin. Somehow it becomes okay to be a horrible human being because you're doing so online rather then in person? Nope. Just nope.

I find the notion of rape being equal to, or even surpassing the severity of murder, to be somewhat strange. They're not even in the same league to me. Ask any group of people whether they'd rather be raped or killed and I'm pretty sure you'd get a unanimous response. But I digress...

Personally, I don't see much of a problem here whatsoever. I'd argue, if you don't have the leather skin recquired to ignore the nonsense people throw at you, you don't belong on the internet at all. Especially not if you're a public figure, as this woman apparently is. If you're a public figure or any sort you HAVE to be able to take some flack. If you get "disturbed and paralyzed by fear" literally just because of something some 12 year old said, I'm afraid you're in the wrong business. Taking any online threat seriously is ridiculous, I've lost count of the amounts of dicks people have wanted me to suck, how many men my mother apparently has sex with, and how often I've been "virtually skull fucked by some guy's l33t 360 no scope skillz as he was blazin' it 420 style to the tunes of Darude - Sandstorm." People are full of shit, that's just a basic fact of life. The only reason people keep their shit to themselves is fear - be it of violent or societal retorts. And they have no reason to fear on the internet - nor should they. People shouldn't be cencored just because some overly sensitive feminists demand it, nor should they live in fear of Big Brother watching them as they freely express themselves on the web. It's ridiculous how much power empty words apparently have over some of these people... The "Ban Bossy" campaign still baffles me to this date.

You want adequate reason to be fearful? Try having a fatwa called out on your head. That's reason for fear.

Proper response to some kid from halfway across the world, saying you're ugly and he'd gladly slap his salty fish stick against your cheek if he ever got the chance? Ignore, forget, move on. Because that's all that his comment ever meant - nothing.

First off, just because there exists even more horrible things, does not invalidate the fear she may feel.

That's like saying murder doesn't matter, and is no big deal because Hiroshima happened. You're taking an extreme, and saying it invalidates a lesser degree. Logic does not work that way.

And sure, maybe she didn't feel in imminent danger by this 12 year olds threat, but guess what? It's still not OKAY for him to say that kind of stuff to her. Yeah he has freedom of speech, but freedom of speech only protects your ability to say something. It does not protect you from potential consequences.

I feel like this approach is fantastic, because it may actually help alleviate the cause. That kid will hopefully learn from this, and hopefully his parents (or mother, specifically) will instill in him the proper morals of a modern society.

Just because this sort of thing is rampant, doesn't mean it always has to be this way. It SHOULDN'T be rampant, and the fact that this shit is common on COD and HALO and CS:GO or any other online game, is actually despicable. We need to work towards educating these kids so that they understand that it's NOT OKAY, and NOT COOL to say crap like that.

And frankly, it doesn't even matter to me that she is female. Saying that shit to a man or a woman is unacceptable.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Same shit comes from IBT. Here's the link, but you don't need to click on it.

http://www.ibtimes.com/female-gaming-journalist-reports-online-harassers-their-mothers-1730809

It's not news that female gamers are subject to sexual harassment and threats while doing their jobs -- Gamergate, anyone?

Pearce has become something of a crusader for the cause of ending sexual harassment and sexism in gaming. In 2013, she wrote a post on gaming site Kotaku called 30 Days of Sexism in which she analyzed 10 tweets she received that negatively focused on her gender as a gaming journalist.

Pearce told The Guardian about her strategy to reach out to harassers' mothers, "to productively teach young boys it’s not okay to be sexist to women, even if they’re on the Internet, that they are real people and that there should be actual consequences for that.”

Edit: Underlined the stupid things they use to insinuate. Kotaku is underlined because it's full of shit. Real people is underlined because it stems from the stupidity of the term objectification used by feminists.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

It's so silly watching how these outlets decide what story to run. The same thing happened weeks ago except the dude who called the troll's mom was pro-gamergate so i guess they decide not to run it? Then they think the troll this time is a gamergate dude so they run that story, except then the person the story was about calls them out on the fact that it had nothing to do with gamergate so they have to change their title. it's stupid as hell.

Everybody should do this!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

All -14 year olds should have their moms social account linked as must in order to create acount for special purposes like these 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Grammar was 6/10 there, but good point.

I am glad you're living it up to your title  :P

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Looks like she has been taken to court for it

http://www.eteknix.com/alanah-pearce-taken-court-contacting-mothers-trolls/

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii