Female Video Game Reviewer Contacts Mothers

Artificial Ignorance

So when I first read this I thought. "huh, that's oddly logical." I was thinking that this was another feminist reviewer like Anita Sarkeesian. Regardless of how you feel about the content of what she says, any reviewer does not deserve the kinds of threats that she gets. However, I have also found her responses to that lacking. It seems like this reviewer is actually trying to get to the root of the problem. Thoughts?

http://jezebel.com/video-game-reviewer-is-contacting-the-mothers-of-her-on-1664381934?utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_facebook&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I have no idea who she is, but if she's talking like she knows, when she doesnt, then i'm not surprised. But if she's actually good at reviewing and knows what she's doing, then i don't want to live on this planet anymore. Though she shouldn't give a damn about 12yo kids. Haven't she played CoD? Every1 fucks mothers there, not amazed she's gonna get harassed too.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

LOL "omg little shit" i love it, more people should do this.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Perfect from start to finish.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

Part of me says that she should just ignore all the comments since it's all part of being a Youtuber, but the other half of me wants to say "Good job" to her for being professional and not overreacting about the issue.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Part of me says that she should just ignore all the comments since it's all part of being a Youtuber, but the other half of me wants to say "Good job" to her for being professional and not overreacting about the issue.

I agree. I think that a lot of other youtube reviwers *cogh* Anita *cough* over react. They want to make it out to be more than it is. I think this was a healthy porotionl response to the problem. I think this is kind of in line with what Luke was saying on the Tech about legislation against what people say on the internet. There may be something to be afraid of, but really everyone gets this stuff.

We need more people that don't just complain about their problems online but actually do something sane to resolve them. Good on her.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I agree. I think that a lot of other youtube reviwers *cogh* Anita *cough* over react. They want to make it out to be more than it is. I think this was a healthy porotionl response to the problem. I think this is kind of in line with what Luke was saying on the Tech about legislation against what people say on the internet. There may be something to be afraid of, but really everyone gets this stuff.

The problem is women do get discriminated against in the industry (and in general but specifically in the gaming industry). Regardless of whether someone disagrees with a certain woman's view it does not justify the threat of rape. But of course, NOTHING justifies the threat of rape or murder.

There are different standards in NOT AMERICA.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Good, I like to see this. It's horrible that she is getting these threats and I like how she's going about it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I guess that's one way to take care of a problem.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Facebook is a lot less anonymous for people using their regular account.

Also people put there personal phone numbers on there. I always click the "x" when it asked me. 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

The problem is women do get discriminated against in the industry (and in general but specifically in the gaming industry). Regardless of whether someone disagrees with a certain woman's view it does not justify the threat of rape. But of course, NOTHING justifies the threat of rape or murder.

There are different standards in NOT AMERICA.

I think the question is weather or not these threats are serious. ANY time I have played CoD or seen ANYONE play CoD there has been the threat of rape or murder. Does that make it right? Definatly not. But it does beg the question of what is a porptional response. I think that this was very level headed. She realized that it was mostly 12-year-old boys that were doing this and decided to talk to their mothers. 

Should this ever happen? No. But the point is that it does and it is not just to woemen. So claiming that this is a direct result of the sexism in the industry (which does exist), is at best a reach.

The mother's reaction is a win. 

The make the punishment more severe she should release the information however that is wrong at the same time X_X

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

I think the question is weather or not these threats are serious. ANY time I have played CoD or seen ANYONE play CoD there has been the threat of rape or murder. Does that make it right? Definatly not. But it does beg the question of what is a porptional response. I think that this was very level headed. She realized that it was mostly 12-year-old boys that were doing this and decided to talk to their mothers. 

Should this ever happen? No. But the point is that it does and it is not just to woemen. So claiming that this is a direct result of the sexism in the industry (which does exist), is at best a reach.

No... It is a problem with sexism in the industry, the threat of rape is not nearly brought up as much against men. Besides, whether or not it is a legitimate threat is irrelevant unless you are attempting to charge those responsible. Even though it's likely most if not all are not realistically threats that have the intention of being carried out it is still an extremely terrible thing to do and these women (mostly women who receive such threats) are clearly going to feel uncomfortable even though they may understand that it is not a real threat.

I agree that it was the right thing for her to do, not to go to extremes in order to have 12 year old's arrested is the moral thing to have done. She even said, they didn't know any better. It still doesn't excuse the fact there are some adults who make these threats and it becomes more acceptable amongst the community every time it is done. If you look at the post and say, "Oh well, it's the internet, it doesn't matter" then you are just reinforcing that behaviour. Besides, there is no way of her to find out if ALL of these threats are made just by ignorant children when I would not be surprised many are made by grown men that have legitimate intent to intimidate.

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that it is true that women are more likely to be subject to these sorts of threats than men are. So to say it has nothing to do with sexism is just ludicrous.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

No... It is a problem with sexism in the industry, the threat of rape is not nearly brought up as much against men. Besides, whether or not it is a legitimate threat is irrelevant unless you are attempting to charge those responsible. Even though it's likely most if not all are not realistically threats that have the intention of being carried out it is still an extremely terrible thing to do and these women (mostly women who receive such threats) are clearly going to feel uncomfortable even though they may understand that it is not a real threat.

I would like to see statistics of rates of rape and murder threats against men and women. I think perhaps we think it is more against women because men don't react to it the same way.

Regardless, this does not excuse it (against men or women). However, the way to combat this is by chaning the indviduals in the system. Tyring to change it by calling the community sexist and massogonist is not the way to change it. At the end of the day all that does is make the community want to hate you more. (Do not feed the Trolls). This response I feel will actually do something since it seeks to change the actions by appealing to an authority that they at least fear, if not respect.

I would like to see statistic of rates of rape and murder threats against men and women. I think perhaps we think it is more against women because men don't react to it the same way.

Regardless, this does not excuse it (against men or women). However, the way to combat this is by chaning the indviduals in the system. Tyring to change it by calling the community sexist and massogonist is not the way to change it. At the end of the day all that does is make the community want to hate you more. (Do not feed the Trolls). This response I feel will actually do something since it seeks to change the actions by appealing to an authority that they at least fear, if not respect.

I edited my post a few times while you were posting that I think.

In terms of rape threats against men and women. The evidence is that actual number of cases involving rape. Most of the victims are women, I do understand however a lot of victims of rape that are men simply never report it. Which is a big issue in the United States because over there they don't seem to give a shit about the state of their prisoners.

However, in the rest of the world at least there is solid evidence that women are raped more than men. And generally threatened with rape more than men.

EDIT: I didn't call the community sexist and misogynist I just said that the industry is leaning towards this way of thinking where it's OK. Which causes the community to comply with that idea.

Fucking excellent. Someone isn't going to be playing CoD for the next 10 years.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P