A belt with a battery in it sounded like a good idea to someone

Dietrichw

Source

The people who launched the MiniDrive are combining a belt with a battery because having some lithium strapped around your waist is the new fad. The Xoo belt has a 1,300 mAh lithium ceramic polymer flexible battery in between the leather of the belt and the buckle which as a 800mAh battery in it. There is a flat micro USB cable and battery level indicator lights. The Xoo belt will cost $155.

20141118071834-2-How-it-works.jpg

20141118090744-splash.jpeg?1416330464

I feel like a battery case is better. I have one for my phone and it cost less that a hundred and can fully charge it with some power left over.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

inb4 infertility

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

This is actually cool. Genuinely cool.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I swear people need to start coming up with so many of these external batteries, they are not an excuse to make the battery life in phones better.

"Rawr XD"

and then someone gets their d*ck blown off because of a defective/damaged battery...

#1. its overpriced

#2. a flexible thin battery that went around the entire belt would of been a better implementation

#3. 800 mAh HA. this wont even charge my phone once... and I have an iPhone 5 which is well known for its small battery

#4. I dont want a cable hanging down from my belt buckle... why cant the cable come out the side and go into my pocket...

#5. This is way too geeky... its a neat idea but it just needs to be more seamless. and be better planned out.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This is so stupid. That connector can't be comfortable pressed against your side, not to mention what happens when you want to use it? Fold it over?

I'm sure that'll last a real long time.

And that price! Are you kidding me? I'll take a $20 portable battery that will have 50% more juice in it, thanks.

2100mah doesn't power many devices these days. Not sure what that guys been smoking.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You're perfectly happy with having a lithium battery in your pocket all day, you should probably think it through before slating new products for the sake of it.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

#1. its overpriced

#2. a flexible thin battery that went around the entire belt would of been a better implementation

#1 true

#2... Oh hell no! What happens when you get older and put on weight around the middle? As you strain to get it closed I can onlyimagine sheering the battery casing and spilling acid all over yourself for some nasty chemical burns.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

great idea, but i dont think it will be sucsessful as you can get much larger batteries for much cheaper. Maybe when the tchnology is better it may be a viable option.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The idea seems... Alright; but that capacity is way too low to accomplish anything. Accounting the charging efficiency, that would almost charge my phone half way.

bitch i have a better idea, slap a QI pad in your pocket and put the battery below the pocket close to the knees, if you have an iphone then buy a case that allows wireless charging on it, sell it for 50$ with a 4000-5000 mha battery + the cost of the pant themselves or 60$ with a kit to put it on your own pants, that's a better idea

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

What happens when the battery blows up a couple inches above your junk? lol

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

so...
if someone beats their kid with this belt...
will they get charged with battery?

pun-dog-pun-husky-00.jpg?w=650

I'll leave now

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

inb4 infertility

The best time to be "in" if you want any hope at having children.

All these people talking about the dangers of having a battery so close to your crotch... I wonder how many of them keep their phone in their front pocket.

Anyways, I don't really feel like I need a battery bank, and if I did there are plenty of options that can fit in a pocket with many times the capacity at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't necessarily call this overpriced since there's probably some fairly significant engineering challenges to overcome and not all that much space to fit the battery anyway, but it basically ended up not being a useful battery bank compared to a lot of better options.

All these people talking about the dangers of having a battery so close to your crotch... I wonder how many of them keep their phone in their front pocket.

Anyways, I don't really feel like I need a battery bank, and if I did there are plenty of options that can fit in a pocket with many times the capacity at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't necessarily call this overpriced since there's probably some fairly significant engineering challenges to overcome and not all that much space to fit the battery anyway, but it basically ended up not being a useful battery bank compared to a lot of better options.

Phones operate in non-ionizing frequencies. The idea that they can cause cancer has absolutely no substantial proof. 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Phones operate in non-ionizing frequencies. The idea that they can cause cancer has absolutely no substantial proof.

I'm fairly certain people were talking about how Lithium Ion batteries have a tendency to explode on occasion, and either way I specifically used the term "Battery" and never the term "cancer".

However, now that I look back at the thread I notice that only two people were specifically talking about it exploding and we had already gotten a sarcastic response to them which I had missed, so I suppose my post was at best unnecessary.

This actually seems like a reasonable idea to me.  It would certainly make it easier to carry around a battery bank and have it accessible everywhere.