27" Dell UP2715K 5K Monitor will be released in December and for less than $2000 USD

meh 2x displayport to achieve 5k.

So it is using a crappy MST instead of SST.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

good luck making a computer for $500 good enough as an imac considering it costs $2500

Depends where you live, In Aus the iMac is $3000 so if you start with a $2000 monitor then you have $1000 for the rest.

The only thing I recon people would struggle with would be finding a suitable compromise because the iMac's an AIO.   Otherwise  a case, PSU, mobo, i5, 8Gram and whatever the M290 equivalent is and you'd come pretty close (maybe bust it by $100, but you'd also have both upgradeable and slightly faster hardware and a true 10bit monitor). 

However as I said, the mac being an AIO would be an appeal you just couldn't match with a diy solution. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What the hell would you need to get a smooth 60fps on at least high settings in the latest optimised games?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I too thought that Dell was MST and Apple did their own SST, which is why they needed a custom design. 

It's not even MST as in those early 4K monitors, but rather really 2 seperate DP cables ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

It seems like these would even exceed DP 1.3 limits.

i.e. 5120x2880 @ 60 Hz @ 30 bit (10bit*3) == 26.5GBit/s

Depends where you live, In Aus the iMac is $3000 so if you start with a $2000 monitor then you have $1000 for the rest.

That doesn't make sense, one would assume that the $2000 Dell would also cost more in AUS $ then, and not just be a 1:1 conversion.

Since the iMac is $500 more in AUS, can we assume the Dell monitor would be $2500 then? Only leaving $500 for the entire PC, in AUS Pricing. I'd say you won't get much then for it.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

yes it is. and each tile is its own DP cable. which is rather... unfortunate

double penetration cables~

OT: it looks rather thick :o i give it 3 years before its the thickness of a pencil xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I want it so bad! Why can't money just appear at my house so I can buy this?

That doesn't make sense, one would assume that the $2000 Dell would also cost more in AUS $ then, and not just be a 1:1 conversion.

Since the iMac is $500 more in AUS, can we assume the Dell monitor would be $2500 then? Only leaving $500 for the entire PC, in AUS Pricing. I'd say you won't get much then for it.

Because apples "fuck you Australia" tax*, it is significantly more while dells actual sale value so far seems to only differ by the  conversion rate, even the RRP is the same.

Apple is not the only one to do this, adobe does it and AMD did it for a while amongst others.

EDIT: just did the math, assuming dell adds a bit plus currency conversion the difference between the dell monitor and the entire iMAc is A$700.  to give you an idea an i5, mobo 8G ram, PSU, SSD and decent GPU should come in around A$800 if you go for the better options.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The only thing I recon people would struggle with would be finding a suitable compromise because the iMac's an AIO.   Otherwise  a case, PSU, mobo, i5, 8Gram and whatever the M290 equivalent is and you'd come pretty close (maybe bust it by $100, but you'd also have both upgradeable and slightly faster hardware and a true 10bit monitor). 

However as I said, the mac being an AIO would be an appeal you just couldn't match with a diy solution. 

yea I dont think this monitor will be $2000 in Australia. lol considering the price of everything else

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

with the dual display port input option, will it work with my dual thunderbolt 1 mac (displayport 1.1)?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

yea I dont think this monitor will be $2000 in Australia. lol considering the price of everything else

while dells actual sale value so far seems to only differ by the  conversion rate, even the RRP is the same.

I know with most manufactures its not the case however with dell It seems to be every time I look.  I think an assumption of $300 more for currency conversion and shipping would be a fair.

EDIT: just as an example:

The dell U2713H:

Aus.

http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=au&l=en&s=dhs&cs=audhs1&kc=&oc=V14U2713HAU

Australian online price is $20 more than the US retail and the special sale price difference is $137 which actually works out to the current currency difference.

US.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=225-4148

It seems like these would even exceed DP 1.3 limits.

i.e. 5120x2880 @ 60 Hz @ 30 bit (10bit*3) == 26.5GBit/s

It would.

Not sure what's up with the people trashing Dell for making it a tiled display, what else did you expect? Would you rather have a proprietary connector with a special graphics card just to have an interface that can output to it? No current or upcoming standard is capable of doing this over a single stream, so it's either tiled or proprietary.

double post please delete.

It would.

Not sure what's up with the people trashing Dell for making it a tiled display, what else did you expect? Would you rather have a proprietary connector with a special graphics card just to have an interface that can output to it? No current or upcoming standard is capable of doing this over a single stream, so it's either tiled or proprietary.

Not quite. DP 1.3 and subsequently TB 1.3 will allow for SST over a single connection. Hence why Apple also didn't release a standalone TB 5K display, they're waiting till next year for the single cable implementation 

At least I had assumed 1.3 would be capable of doing it, the proposed spec certainly suggested that DP 1.3 could do 5K @ RGB without issues. 

Not quite. DP 1.3 and subsequently TB 1.3 will allow for SST over a single connection. Hence why Apple also didn't release a standalone TB 5K display, they're waiting till next year for the single cable implementation 

At least I had assumed 1.3 would be capable of doing it, the proposed spec certainly suggested that DP 1.3 could do 5K @ RGB without issues. 

At 24bpp color it will, so Apple will be able to do a new Thunderbolt Display with this resolution once DP 1.3/TB3 drops since they don't care about 10-bit color support (Mac OS doesn't support it, so no point), but at 30bpp color like this Dell monitor or any other professional graphics monitor, DP 1.3 won't be quite enough.  Raw bandwidth is 32.4Gbps, and if you factor in 8b/10b encoding scheme the theoretical max data throughput is 25.92Gbps.  5120x2880 pixels at 30 bits per pixel is 442,368,000 bits per frame.  At 60fps you'd need a minimum of 26.54Gbps.

At 24bpp color it will, so Apple will be able to do a new Thunderbolt Display with this resolution once DP 1.3/TB3 drops since they don't care about 10-bit color support (Mac OS doesn't support it, so no point), but at 30bpp color like this Dell monitor or any other professional graphics monitor, DP 1.3 won't be quite enough.  Raw bandwidth is 32.4Gbps, and if you factor in 8b/10b encoding scheme the theoretical max data throughput is 25.92Gbps.  5120x2880 pixels at 30 bits per pixel is 442,368,000 bits per frame.  At 60fps you'd need a minimum of 26.54Gbps.

Unless you had intelligent frame approximation that decided to not include some regions which don't change. It would require a fancy scaler, but that's doable.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Unless you had intelligent frame approximation that decided to not include some regions which don't change. It would require a fancy scaler, but that's doable.

But this only works in scenarios here some regions don't change. And also would need an implementation on both the PC end the monitor.

So in theory it might be possible, but I have my doubts, that we will actually see something like this implemented in a monitor like this dell one.

with the dual display port input option, will it work with my dual thunderbolt 1 mac (displayport 1.1)?

nope. most likely not. At least not at 60Hz and 10bit.

Maybe at 8bit and 45Hz or 30Hz

But this only works in scenarios here some regions don't change. And also would need an implementation on both the PC end the monitor.

So in theory it might be possible, but I have my doubts, that we will actually see something like this implemented in a monitor like this dell one.

On another note one thing to keep in mind is that SST vs tiled really only makes a difference for gaming, for everything else tiled doesn't really cause any issue. If you're gaming you don't need 10-bit color, so if Dell released a successor to this monitor with DP 1.3 (and new graphics cards also with DP 1.3 came out), in theory it could run over a single stream if you ran in 8-bit color mode, and in gaming you wouldn't be missing much.

On another note one thing to keep in mind is that SST vs tiled really only makes a difference for gaming, for everything else tiled doesn't really cause any issue. If you're gaming you don't need 10-bit color, so if Dell released a successor to this monitor with DP 1.3 (and new graphics cards also with DP 1.3 came out), in theory it could run over a single stream if you ran in 8-bit color mode, and in gaming you wouldn't be missing much.

I don't think, that there currently is any game that supports 10bit color ;)

Also I bet most people with 10bit-panels use them with an 8bit stream anyway.

Besides the lack of GPUs with DP 1.3, ther is probably also a lack of interal montior hardware needed to process a single stream.