27" Dell UP2715K 5K Monitor will be released in December and for less than $2000 USD

Although so far that is only a software limitation, but if apple didn't think ahead to make Yosemite support 10 bit then they probably won't update it in the future

the imac only has an 8 bit chip in it, so until apple confirm it is a 10bit panel it is fairly safe to assume it is only capable of 8 bits.

EDIT: Also I think Yosemite is already capable of 30bit output. but don't quote me on that I haven't confirmed it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And professionals need weak machines? 

You just said that the people buying this don't need strong machines, and then said the people buying this will be professionals.

I'm fairly sure professionals will need strong machines.

no, you dont need a beast for editing photos, videos. you need a beast for rendering. and even then, you could make do with an imac as a home machine

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

But it's release succeeds it.

And we don't know that it did precede it, considering Apple are more hush-hush about their products.

I would imagine Apple is just using the Dell 5k panel. I doubt Apple would go out of their way to make anything when they can just buy the tech off someone who knows what they are doing. Shame there is no G-Sync on this monitor though because that would have made it a deal breaker.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I would imagine Apple is just using the Dell 5k panel. I doubt Apple would go out of their way to make anything when they can just buy the tech off someone who knows what they are doing. Shame there is no G-Sync on this monitor though because that would have made it a deal breaker.

Dell doesn't make the panel either, it's LG.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

very very noice indeed

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Dell doesn't make the panel either, it's LG.

Ok well LG then.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Both the dell and the apple use LG panels.  Probably identical in many aspects.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you want to make that argument then i'll make the argument that not everyone needs a 5120x2880 display either.

The point was that there are scenarios where a high pixel-density display benefits the user but a more powerful GPU with it doesn't as much. Photo editing is a perfect example of that.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

The important thing is, is it IPS?

The panel is IPS technology with GB-r-LED backlighting.

Drools, also you had a white background there so it was im possible to read on dark theme. Either paste without styling or edit your posts in code view like I do, which I actyually prefer and think is easier.

Do. Want.

Although the pure GPU horsepower you would need to drive this would be a bit nuts. I imagine triple 980's would probably be about the minimum.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Do. Want.

Although the pure GPU horsepower you would need to drive this would be a bit nuts. I imagine triple 980's would probably be about the minimum.

nope. just something with 2 DP 1.4 ports :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

nope. just something with 2 DP 1.4 ports :)

I didn't read the article, just the OP, but I thought DP 1.3 had enough bandwidth for 5120x2880 over one cable, so I figured the 2 DP connectors was based on 1.2a. Is this not the case?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I didn't read the article, just the OP, but I thought DP 1.3 had enough bandwidth for 5120x2880 over one cable, so I figured the 2 DP connectors was based on 1.2a. Is this not the case?

im not really sure now. and cant be bothered to check since ill never own this technology (alteast not until the time it is easy to drive over one cable) :P but im pretty sure it needs 2 1.3s (i meant 1.3 before) because one can only barely run 4K and this is 1.77x that in amount of pixels

Do. Want.

gaming wise id probably just run it at 1440 mor more intensive games, though you could probably turn off most if not all AA at that size/resolution so my 2 980's might cut it. For stuff like CS go the 2 980's could easily push a 5K monitor.

you only need DP 1.3 which just finish being ratified if I remember correctly.

Tiled displays suck and so does the price. Why on Earth would it cost more than $1k to make this?

im not really sure now. and cant be bothered to check since ill never own this technology (alteast not until the time it is easy to drive over one cable) :P but im pretty sure it needs 2 1.3s (i meant 1.3 before) because one can only barely run 4K and this is 1.77x that in amount of pixels

1.2a can run 4K (3840x2160) over a single cable. 1.3 can run 5K (5120x2880) or even 2x 4k (3840x2160) over a single cable. So I am assuming it is 2x 1.2a's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

My first post was actually referring to using the monitor for gaming. :P

1.2a can run 4K (3840x2160) over a single cable. 1.3 can run 5K (5120x2880) or even 2x 4k (3840x2160) over a single cable. So I am assuming it is 2x 1.2a's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

My first post was actually referring to using the monitor for gaming. :P

oooh interesting... i got the standards mixed... damn HDMI existing xD (i know the last iteration of it finally has 4k)

oh for that, im guessing trisli 980 or 1080

gaming wise id probably just run it at 1440 mor more intensive games, though you could probably turn off most if not all AA at that size/resolution so my 2 980's might cut it. For stuff like CS go the 2 980's could easily push a 5K monitor.

That is probably wise, but who buys a $2k monitor just to use a lower resolution on it?

Tiled displays suck and so does the price. Why on Earth would it cost more than $1k to make this?

do you see any competition for this exact product? Also its a professional display. As of a yes ago there were 30in 2560x1600 displays selling for that. 10bit displays with GB-led backlighting dont com cheap. One of the cheapest is probably the PA279Q the PA249Q is a bit of a step down but look at its price for "only a 24in monitor".

That is probably wise, but who buys a $2k monitor just to use a lower resolution on it?

For the productivity and color accuracy? Sadly not everythiong with computer revolves around gaming and this is definitely one of those products.

do you see any competition for this exact product? Also its a professional display. As of a yes ago there were 30in 2560x1600 displays selling for that. 10bit displays with GB-led backlighting dont com cheap. One of the cheapest is probably the PA279Q the PA249Q is a bit of a step down but look at its price for "only a 24in monitor".

This is the problem, these companies are only making "professional" level monitors with a lot of..useless..technologies in them. Tiled displays? BS, it's almost 2015 this shit shouldn't exist. There's no reason a single tile, 8-bit display can't be made and sold for $400.

For the productivity and color accuracy? Sadly not everythiong with computer revolves around gaming and this is definitely one of those products.

I completely agree, but it doesnt stop me from wanting to try it :D

This is the problem, these companies are only making "professional" level monitors with a lot of..useless..technologies in them. Tiled displays? BS, it's almost 2015 this shit shouldn't exist. There's no reason a single tile, 8-bit display can't be made and sold for $400.

why make it when there is no real demand or the demand is from a small market. The professional market is bigger and dell is well known within it so its easy money and those prices are what they are used to. the base consumer does have anything that can even run something like this. Then you get into enthusiast and prosumers. The end up just buying monitors like this dell but usually after a generation or two once prices have decreased a bit. you have to remember that this is also the first prolevel 5K monitor. Likely the reason its has to be tiles is 10bit (assuming it supports it).